FOOD ALERT: Mad Cow detected in C.M. !

daoyai

No, not the disease and not a drunken tourist lass (though the area is known for that) BUT ...a NEW BURGER place and thread .

Located on Chayapum Rd. sharing the lot with Jaks or is it Jacks van bar ... near Sapicey, are couple of new places, seemingly related, one is called El Barrio burgers and beer (what no burritos en el barrio?) and next to that a small booth called Mad Cow. Prime location for backpackers and other tourists, i look forward to trying it for my once a month burger fix. Que the competitors to bash it.

Yep - "Angry Cow" might have sounded better....With a spin that might have offered some cute decor....

Udderly more charming than Mad Cow, given the tainted nature of headlines past....

Edited by pgrahmm

Not sure it's such a wise choice of names, especially when bovine spongiform encephalopathy next hits the news anywhere in the world.

Kind of like naming a Lady Bar "Herpes".

Or naming a restaurant in Bangkok 'Tsunami' (in a 5 star hotel).

When the tsunami hit Phuket the restaurant owner scrambled, realizing that it was not a suitable word to use at that time for advertising.

Their response was to try to make it appear to be two venues: 'Tsu', and 'Nami'.

Edited by scorecard

? it is not my place, as I said, I will try it eventually as I eat an occasional burger, I thought the name was ..noteworthy AND CM forum seems to love burger threads, I am beginning to see the quest for the perfect burger as an apt metaphor for expat life here.... discuss.

In that area in a range of 500 meters there are over 5 hamburger joints now, I wish them all good luck.

True, but i think this place may have an advantage, here is why, Sapicey closes at midnight (?) Ihave observed that many customers then hit 7-11 just before the beer case is locked then stand around the vicinity , thits puts them right in front of Mad Cow burger stand, I assume the cow is counting on this for it's biz. The "El Barrio" place next to the burger stand looks to be a siti down resto-bar, i have not seen it open yet but it looks to be good sized. I am hoping they have a Mexican menu as the local Mex food is still lacking, "Ole" had a strong start but has let the quality slip and El Diablo has gone down hill as well, the flavor is now oddly fishy.

In that area in a range of 500 meters there are over 5 hamburger joints now, I wish them all good luck.

True, but i think this place may have an advantage, here is why, Sapicey closes at midnight (?) Ihave observed that many customers then hit 7-11 just before the beer case is locked then stand around the vicinity , thits puts them right in front of Mad Cow burger stand, I assume the cow is counting on this for it's biz. The "El Barrio" place next to the burger stand looks to be a siti down resto-bar, i have not seen it open yet but it looks to be good sized. I am hoping they have a Mexican menu as the local Mex food is still lacking, "Ole" had a strong start but has let the quality slip and El Diablo has gone down hill as well, the flavor is now oddly fishy.

Might be true that they get hungry people after they did not get lucky at Spicy, still wish them good luck trying to make money in the after hours of drunk farang.

Saw they were open last night and stopped to read the menu, only saw burgers and fries listed so asked the Thai lad working there if they had Mexican food also, as the main dining area is called "Barrio" he said "yes, Mexican food yes" then a young farang guy appeared and said, no Mexican but we have Lebanese food, kebabs and falfal, I saw a chalk board advertising humus. ...did not see the beer prices or selection.

^^^ IMO the best burritos in CM come from Istambul Turkish kebob stand in the Kalare food center... they call them kebabs, I bring them home and add avocado and salsa. If they have good falafal and humus I will be an early drinking customer.

Edited by daoyai

clap2.gif I know you have ALL been waiting for this giggle.gif

I tried their burger last night, they have 3 options, the basic is with cheese and bacon, 150B beef, 130B pork. or a cheese stuffed burger for 200B fries are 80B.

I had the beef, nice thick pattie not large but ok, juicy with good homemade taste, tasted like quality beef. good bakery roll, not the soft McDs style. I feel it is good value for the price. The guy running the show was a young Turk, formerly associated with Zoe in Yellow. blink.png I was informed that when the full kitchen was ready they would have turkish food also, had previously been told Lebanese.

^^^ IMO the best burritos in CM come from Istambul Turkish kebob stand in the Kalare food center... they call them kebabs, I bring them home and add avocado and salsa. If they have good falafal and humus I will be an early drinking customer.

i like that place too. the funny thing is that their menu advertises humus, falafel, and a few other things. they also have a rather large kitchen; in fact the largest in food court. but every time i've tried to order humus or falafel (about 6 times now), the lady owner? always looks at me with this look on her face like "what kind of joke is that?" and shakes her hand and says "falafel, humus mai me". i mean there must be many people trying to order off their menu. why not take it off if they don't offer it? but the kebabs are the best in town. no sweet mayonnaise sauce, Thai chili sauce or Chinese cabbage on their kebabs! the guy that does the cooking looks like a character out of a movie.