British expatriates fear for their future after UK vote

webfact

Not only will they have nothing to fear, but all those central and eastern european people who are willing to work for low wages will also still be welcome to work in the UK. So for all those Britons who voted for Brexit and thought better paying jobs would open up for them.....fooled you!

The simple introduction of work permits will negate the flow of those willing to work for peanuts as will tightening up the welfare state.

It is quite easy when you really sit down and think about it.

Can Norway issue work permits to control the hiring of workers? Does that comply with EU rules? It's really not so simple when you think about it.

Do YOU understand the concept of exiting the EU.

EU rules will no longer apply if the UK does not want to retain them.

Norway is a red herring.

Do you understand that Norway is not a member of the EU? Yet to be allowed to trade freely, it acceded to the EU demands. So, sure, the UK can refuse. And maybe they'll succeed. But maybe not. ANd lots of Britons who voted for Brexit, thought it meant a big exodus of foreigners. Clearly, they were deceived.

Norway is also a market of 5M people...UK is 75M or so...therefore completely different animals.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Europe is basically BEGGING you to invoke article 50 and leave and somehow people are whinging about Europe making it difficult.... hmmmm.... maybe you should just allow Europe to invoke article 50 for you.... please!

Read this.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/25/article-50-brexit-debate-britain-eu

It is highly unlikely that the EU can invoke Article 50.

The EU can stomp their collective feet, gnash and wail all they like.

I think it will more or less be the same after UK leaves EU. Just more taxes and fees to be paid by business importing / exporting, these are the people that will be hit hardest by the changes. Less people crossing the border openly. All the same social problem will still be the same....citizens will not feel any change with the money saved by participating in the EU. It will be life as usual, other than the Pound will be slightly weaker for a few years.

All countries who does business with UK will want to maintain the same relationship....just more paperwork for the big trading countries in Europe such as Germany and France. US being the biggest partner will remain the same.

Not only will they have nothing to fear, but all those central and eastern european people who are willing to work for low wages will also still be welcome to work in the UK. So for all those Britons who voted for Brexit and thought better paying jobs would open up for them.....fooled you!

The simple introduction of work permits will negate the flow of those willing to work for peanuts as will tightening up the welfare state.

It is quite easy when you really sit down and think about it.

Can Norway issue work permits to control the hiring of workers? Does that comply with EU rules? It's really not so simple when you think about it.

Do YOU understand the concept of exiting the EU.

EU rules will no longer apply if the UK does not want to retain them.

Norway is a red herring.

Do you understand that Norway is not a member of the EU? Yet to be allowed to trade freely, it acceded to the EU demands. So, sure, the UK can refuse. And maybe they'll succeed. But maybe not. ANd lots of Britons who voted for Brexit, thought it meant a big exodus of foreigners. Clearly, they were deceived.

I am not Norwegian so I do not really care what what Norway's relationship with the EU is. It is a red herring.

Exit negotiations will determine the future UK / EU relationship, not whatever Norway is currently doing or complying with.

I wish you and all the others would desist from this free trade BS. When you are paying for it, it is not free trade. Nothing in life is free.

Who are these lots of Britons that thought their would be a mass exodus of foreigners. Do you have a link to that ? I would guess that the only people who thought this would be the very small band of Racists, that unfortunately infest the UK.

Politicians trying to deceive people. Nothing new there, it has been ongoing since 75 as far as the EU goes.

"Nothing in life is free". Yet you believe Britain can keep various advantages with Europe for free.

Switzerland and Norway are doing fine outside the EU...and for that matter, so are Canada, USA, Australia, and New Zealand.

Getting the Scotch and maybe the Irish out on their own will probably be a good thing too.

Norway, Canada and Australia are commodity plays. Switzerland is finance and cuckoo clocks, chemicals, cheese and Heidi. New Zealand is sheep and small. USA is big and has the reserve currency. As for breaking up the UK one can see the know-nothing mentality which underpins this, not to mention no idea where this leads other than a celebration of Little Englandism. At some time Nissan (pesky foreigners) will re-evaluate their European investment strategy when it comes to new model production lines and then the good people of Sunderland can repent at leisure. The provinces can look forward to an even more barren future and the young will pay the price for the older generation's surrender to racism and an almighty demonstration of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

If I read that correctly, then the UK has basically nothing to offer to the world other than being a member of the Euro-Zone, and will be relegated to 3rd world status once article 50 has been applied?

The political class in the UK, both Labour and Conservatives, have been ignoring the electorate for many years. Every four years we have the elections, but really, both parties offered more of the same cr4p with slightly different nuances. Labour party is still in disarray and without leadership. The electorate maybe relatively stupid, but they are not that stupid, and it was looking as though the conservatives, with the two conceited schoolboy career politicians at the top, would be permanently in power. So more of the same cr4p without any hope of change going forward.

Blaire started off the "multi-culteralism" benefits nonsense. Probably most people in the UK are happy to accept a few foreigners into the neighbourhood, but they still want to be able to walk around and recognise they are in the UK and not in an islamic country, Poland or Nigeria. The politicians have ignored this and forced more immigrants down peoples' throats, with no end in sight to the millions eager to come and get housing and collect benefits.

The electorate does not want this. And anybody who says they do, is living in denial in some "hug a foreigner" dreamland. The politicians were taking the people down a road that the majority did not want to go.

This vote was the only and maybe even the last, possibility for the electorate to make a stand against the UK and European political elite.

It will be a short term pain for a long term gain, and will force the politicians to get off their bums and do some work, rather than follow the Euro-Dogma.

It was also quite clear that the London-centric favouritism, in particular the finance industry did not sit well with the poorer regions of the UK. I am personally not convinced that the majority of the finance industry in its current state is even beneficial to the country. A lot of it is pure rent-seeking, and concentrating the wealth of the nation into a couple of square miles.

As to the young versus the old. Maybe the old are a bit wiser and more wary? That is the way it has always been in the past. The young tend to be optimistic and overlook the dangers. Plus it was reported that the young fear the will lose job opportunities to work in Europe. This is not true, talent will always be marketable. The question is, why are there not sufficient attractive jobs in the UK to keep the best talent, and have it replaced by uneducated, needy, immigrants with their hands out?

The UK has survived mush worse than this and come out stronger.

It will do it again.

You do understand that the immigration problem was Great Britain's fault to start with. We had an empire and gave passports to the people we conquered. A quite suprising amount of "foreigners" are entitled to a British passport, even Donald Trump.

Aaah, the good old British Empahr that we pillaged to source the wealth of the UK.

They did not all get a passport, and that window has been closed for most of them as it was recognised to be a potential problem.

I suppose Trump can claim through his mother's birth, but I am not sure if he would get one, must be some limitations on that. But he is a prime example of why we need more restrictions. Boris and Donald together? Guess they could share the carpet manufacturer.

I am not Norwegian so I do not really care what what Norway's relationship with the EU is. It is a red herring.

Exit negotiations will determine the future UK / EU relationship, not whatever Norway is currently doing or complying with.

I wish you and all the others would desist from this free trade BS. When you are paying for it, it is not free trade. Nothing in life is free.

Who are these lots of Britons that thought their would be a mass exodus of foreigners. Do you have a link to that ? I would guess that the only people who thought this would be the very small band of Racists, that unfortunately infest the UK.

Politicians trying to deceive people. Nothing new there, it has been ongoing since 75 as far as the EU goes.

You are right and wrong. You really don't even need negotiations to have a "normal" trading relationship with Europe, but unfortunately the English do not seem to know how to write a stupid letter. So let me try for them (just cut and paste).

Dear Communists of Europe,

As of 27th of June in the year of our lord 2016 we are formally invoking article 50 of the European constitution and placing Europe on notice that we are terminating our membership in the European Union. If it is agreeable with the members of the Union, we would like to waive the 2 year waiting period and requesting it be terminated effective the 1st of July in the same year.

Europe is basically BEGGING you to invoke article 50 and leave and somehow people are whinging about Europe making it difficult.... hmmmm.... maybe you should just allow Europe to invoke article 50 for you.... please!

Read this.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/25/article-50-brexit-debate-britain-eu

And yet some here seem to be inferring or even stating Europe is being difficult....

Switzerland and Norway are doing fine outside the EU...and for that matter, so are Canada, USA, Australia, and New Zealand.

Getting the Scotch and maybe the Irish out on their own will probably be a good thing too.

Norway, Canada and Australia are commodity plays. Switzerland is finance and cuckoo clocks, chemicals, cheese and Heidi. New Zealand is sheep and small. USA is big and has the reserve currency. As for breaking up the UK one can see the know-nothing mentality which underpins this, not to mention no idea where this leads other than a celebration of Little Englandism. At some time Nissan (pesky foreigners) will re-evaluate their European investment strategy when it comes to new model production lines and then the good people of Sunderland can repent at leisure. The provinces can look forward to an even more barren future and the young will pay the price for the older generation's surrender to racism and an almighty demonstration of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

If I read that correctly, then the UK has basically nothing to offer to the world other than being a member of the Euro-Zone, and will be relegated to 3rd world status once article 50 has been applied?

The political class in the UK, both Labour and Conservatives, have been ignoring the electorate for many years. Every four years we have the elections, but really, both parties offered more of the same cr4p with slightly different nuances. Labour party is still in disarray and without leadership. The electorate maybe relatively stupid, but they are not that stupid, and it was looking as though the conservatives, with the two conceited schoolboy career politicians at the top, would be permanently in power. So more of the same cr4p without any hope of change going forward.

Blaire started off the "multi-culteralism" benefits nonsense. Probably most people in the UK are happy to accept a few foreigners into the neighbourhood, but they still want to be able to walk around and recognise they are in the UK and not in an islamic country, Poland or Nigeria. The politicians have ignored this and forced more immigrants down peoples' throats, with no end in sight to the millions eager to come and get housing and collect benefits.

The electorate does not want this. And anybody who says they do, is living in denial in some "hug a foreigner" dreamland. The politicians were taking the people down a road that the majority did not want to go.

This vote was the only and maybe even the last, possibility for the electorate to make a stand against the UK and European political elite.

It will be a short term pain for a long term gain, and will force the politicians to get off their bums and do some work, rather than follow the Euro-Dogma.

It was also quite clear that the London-centric favouritism, in particular the finance industry did not sit well with the poorer regions of the UK. I am personally not convinced that the majority of the finance industry in its current state is even beneficial to the country. A lot of it is pure rent-seeking, and concentrating the wealth of the nation into a couple of square miles.

As to the young versus the old. Maybe the old are a bit wiser and more wary? That is the way it has always been in the past. The young tend to be optimistic and overlook the dangers. Plus it was reported that the young fear the will lose job opportunities to work in Europe. This is not true, talent will always be marketable. The question is, why are there not sufficient attractive jobs in the UK to keep the best talent, and have it replaced by uneducated, needy, immigrants with their hands out?

It will do it again.

You do understand that the immigration problem was Great Britain's fault to start with. We had an empire and gave passports to the people we conquered. A quite suprising amount of "foreigners" are entitled to a British passport, even Donald Trump.

Aaah, the good old British Empahr that we pillaged to source the wealth of the UK.

They did not all get a passport, and that window has been closed for most of them as it was recognised to be a potential problem.

I suppose Trump can claim through his mother's birth, but I am not sure if he would get one, must be some limitations on that. But he is a prime example of why we need more restrictions. Boris and Donald together? Guess they could share the carpet manufacturer.

Would have to check latest rules but believe he is old enough to be eligible.

Norway is a red herring.

Norway is also a market of 5M people...UK is 75M or so...therefore completely different animals.

75 Million?

Hey then there are missing nearly 10 Million ballots clap2.gif

UK has 64,1 Million, just a few percent less.

Interestingly, the knowledge of the basic data.

Edited by tomacht8

I am a British ex-pat. I am not worried about the future.

Britain will be strong again, once the shackles of Europe have been broken.

Looks like the dozy expats are mostly in Thailand.

The dozy expats are the ones that never had the foresight to understand that the EU, at some stage would come unstuck and set up their stall within the EU.

This is not a new phenomenon and has been spoken about for at least 2 decades.

The other strange phenomenon is that the remainers continually refer to expats, especially the retired expats as being poor state pensioners.

Could one of the remainers produce statistics showing the % of retired expats throughout the world that rely solely on a State Pension.

Some Brexit guys are just not very bright. All UK expats totally reliant on state pensions, private pensions or other sterling income streams have gone down in real terms. Its not exactly rocket science, eh? You might want to invoke Father Christmas and entertain us with the sterling will come back song but hey ho, hey ho, its off to the forex we go......

Read this.

And yet some here seem to be inferring or even stating Europe is being difficult....

I am not inferring or stating anything. I have pointed out that it appears that the leaving Country must invoke Article 50. It should also be noted that the result of the referendum must be passed in Parliament before Article 50 can be invoked.

Merkel has called for everyone to calm down and not rush into anything.

I think that she is perhaps looking for a way that both the EU and the UK can save face and step back from this exit. Whatever way it goes Germany will not want to lose its massive exports to the UK.

The main beneficiaries of EU membership is Big business, not your everyday layperson. The UK's annual EU contribution sticks in the craw of many whilst austerity measures are being implemented left right and centre.

As Big Business is the main beneficiary, why do Big Business not dip into their massive collective profits and pay this fee that benefits them and take the burden off the normal, everyday taxpayer.

After all £12 Billion is nothing to them.

Lose Scotland and N. Ireland. Great Briton , Not so Great now.

85% of what makes the country "Great" resides in England ☺

I think that history would beg to differ. It is almost impossible to imagine the British Empire at its zenith without the contribution of the Scottish, Irish and Welch folks. Particularly the Scottish; they were the engineers and the teachers of the empire.

It is amazing when you look around the former British Empire at the railways, roads, bridges, civic buildings and infrastructures built during the 19th century that had Scottish, and to a lessor extent Irish, hands involved at senior management positions. And that's not even including the contribution made at the civil service level.

The British Empire would still have existed, but I reckon the whole 'sun never sets' caper would not have been achieved by the English alone.

It will do it again.

cheesy.gif What a crock of.......

I am a British ex-pat. I am not worried about the future.

Britain will be strong again, once the shackles of Europe have been broken.

Looks like the dozy expats are mostly in Thailand.

The dozy expats are the ones that never had the foresight to understand that the EU, at some stage would come unstuck and set up their stall within the EU.

This is not a new phenomenon and has been spoken about for at least 2 decades.

The other strange phenomenon is that the remainers continually refer to expats, especially the retired expats as being poor state pensioners.

Could one of the remainers produce statistics showing the % of retired expats throughout the world that rely solely on a State Pension.

Some Brexit guys are just not very bright. All UK expats totally reliant on state pensions, private pensions or other sterling income streams have gone down in real terms. Its not exactly rocket science, eh? You might want to invoke Father Christmas and entertain us with the sterling will come back song but hey ho, hey ho, its off to the forex we go......

As you have been told on many occasions, for some money does not come into it.

We understand the concept of short term pain for long term gain.

It would appear that your comprehension skills clearly puts you in the category that you try to put others.

Edited by SgtRock

Read this.

I am not inferring or stating anything. I have pointed out that it appears that the leaving Country must invoke Article 50. It should also be noted that the result of the referendum must be passed in Parliament before Article 50 can be invoked.

I think that she is perhaps looking for a way that both the EU and the UK can save face and step back from this exit. Whatever way it goes Germany will not want to lose its massive exports to the UK.

The main beneficiaries of EU membership is Big business, not your everyday layperson. The UK's annual EU contribution sticks in the craw of many whilst austerity measures are being implemented left right and centre.

As Big Business is the main beneficiary, why do Big Business not dip into their massive collective profits and pay this fee that benefits them and take the burden off the normal, everyday taxpayer.

The people to blame for cuts in services in the UK is not the EU but the conservative government. They've actually raised the total tax burden on the working and middle classes but slashed it for the rich. And paid for the slashes with cuts in services.

As I understand the speeches, all will be returned.

The 750,000 polish plumbers first.

You understand wrong. Limiting and controlling future immigration does not equate to sending anyone home.

How about a link to those 750,000 plumbers in the UK ?

Or could it be that you are just talking garbage.

Well he is exaggerating the number to make a point, which I understood and didn't mind.

But I am hoping to get a factual answer to my question.

Well facts are pretty thin on the ground. I would suspect that those that are in gainful employment in the UK would have nothing to fear.

Big Issue sellers, Supermarket car wash attendants and those working in the Black Economy might not be so lucky.

Looks like some folks have something to fear Sarge:-

Independent: Wave of Racial Abuse and Hate Crimes Reported

'More then a hundred instances'... Not very nice, totally uncalled for!

Edited by NumbNut

It will do it again.

cheesy.gif What a crock of.......

His mother was Scottish, he was born long enough ago to be eligible. Look it up.

Read this.

One of the more ridiculous sights in the campaign was the Brexit anti-business crew (example see above) 'er linked arm in arm with the anti-socialist crew all marching together into the voting booth.

Merkel has called for calm reasoned and that the negotiations should not be particularly nasty (i.e. business like discussions on exit).... but she in no way inferred that the process should not be started immediately - just that the negotiations should follow their due process. The process should not be "indefinite".

You do realize that the majority of "big business" is held by things like pension funds, mutual funds etc. A lot of people seem to think they should be almost completely charitable and do things that make no business sense -- and let the pensioners starve to death.

So now we have the hilarious sight of Boris wanting to slow, slow things down so he can get his act together to sort out the already unfolding economic mess. And on the other side, the economic illiterates of the UKIP and all stations to the right who couldn't give a toss about that fallout, but just want to shut down on immigration. And to do that they want Article 50 invoked pronto. So which is it guys? Do let us know when you have stopped arguing or gone into a definitive split. Having your cake and eating it.

Edited by SheungWan

Merkel has called for calm reasoned and that the negotiations should not be particularly nasty (i.e. business like discussions on exit).... but she in no way inferred that the process should not be started immediately - just that the negotiations should follow their due process. The process should not be "indefinite".

You do realize that the majority of "big business" is held by things like pension funds, mutual funds etc. A lot of people seem to think they should be almost completely charitable and do things that make no business sense -- and let the pensioners starve to death.

You do realise that this currently happening in the UK whilst taxpayer funds are shovelled into the EU for the benefit of Big Business.

Yet you appear to be quite happy that taxpayer funds are used for the benefit of Big Business.

Joe Bloggs on the street does not care a jot about pension funds, mutual funds etc, when he struggles to make ends meet from week to week.

You do realise that this currently happening in the UK whilst taxpayer funds are shovelled into the EU for the benefit of Big Business.

Yet you appear to be quite happy that taxpayer funds are used for the benefit of Big Business.

Joe Bloggs on the street does not care a jot about pension funds, mutual funds etc, when he struggles to make ends meet from week to week.

Where will Joe Bloggs retirement money come from? Yours and my tax?

OK, I did not realize that people in the UK never retire and thus have no pensions, or defined contribution accounts for retirement.

Define retirement income ?

If you mean the state pension because they have not got a hope in hell of getting anything better, then yes, it will be OUR tax money that pays for this,

Guess we can thank retarded Politicians for that. Foresight is a great thing, pity they cannot see past getting re-elected 4 or 5 years down the line.

OK, I did not realize that people in the UK never retire and thus have no pensions, or defined contribution accounts for retirement.

Millions do not. They have to scrape a living until they die as the State Pension is derisory and a pittance. That was my whole point. But now you know, so tell me again why taxpayers money should be spent on big business.

The only restriction Trump would face in acquiring British citizenship would be the requirement to be "of good character " https://www.gov.uk/register-british-citizen/born-before-1983-to-british-mother

?

TH

Define retirement income ?

If you mean the state pension because they have not got a hope in hell of getting anything better, then yes, it will be OUR tax money that pays for this,

Guess we can thank retarded Politicians for that. Foresight is a great thing, pity they cannot see past getting re-elected 4 or 5 years down the line.

And do you think politicians put the tax money under a bed? Not a big fan of the financial institutions, unfortunately a necessary evil. When are you going to post some facts? Where are Boris and Nigel? Lame duck Britain is all I can see.

Millions do not. They have to scrape a living until they die as the State Pension is derisory and a pittance. That was my whole point. But now you know, so tell me again why taxpayers money should be spent on big business.

Yes, those big farms gobble up 42%ish of the budget through the agricultural policy, then almost 50% in infrastructure spending (roads etc. which I gather you never drive on) and regional equalization stuff... then of course there is the administrative overhead....