Disabled Brit fears for his life in Thai jail

webfact

There must be a better way than having luggage travel down a conveyor belt. I can see how a person in a hurry could accidently pick the wrong bag!

Actually not. Most airlines provide a tag that you write your name on and hang it on the case. I have been flying to Thailand for over 28 years and have always put my name on the suitcase.

My suitcase (Polo) has also a sticker on 'I love Isaan' just to make sure I pickup the correct one. When I fly from Amsterdam I even wrap it up in plastic by some services to make sure no one is tampering with it.

As for the Brit why on earth would he trow away some bags that do not belong to him and not take his own bag after he found out he took the wrong bag.

A quick call to the airline could have solved the problem.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Insurance scam on the part of the other suitcase owner.

Slipped police a few baht, so they do not care about justice.

He was stupid to throw away the suitcase, his so called girlfriend was acting stupid allowing him to do that.

Return it wai a couple of times, matter closed.

He has no reason to be scared in a Thai jail, as a farang other prisoners will take care of him.

Can one even get insurance for 1MB of valuables in checked luggage?

Pure BS...only a mother would believe

this story...." if you can't do the time...

don't do the crime!!!

And what was the crime?

He took the wrong suitcase and never returned it. Its called Theft.

Break the law...pay the price. Simple.

What was the nationality of the person who owned the suit case then ? Thai ? why was it not mention ? don't you think the owner of the suit case would have to / should have to PROVE there were 20,000 worth of diamonds in the suit case !! and not just say Oh yah they were in there. Somethings rotten here and it's not the sum tum !! BUT WHY throw the suit case away and not want to get your own suit case back ? Maybe there was diamonds and him and his wife thought they hit the jack pot !! no need to collect my bag I now have enough money to buy new shit, they might of thought there was no way they could track them down ? just get rid of the suit case. If someone did come looking for it just say they panicked and throw the suit case away and say no there wasn't any diamonds in it and Bob's Your Uncle.

Lets see. He gets home wife starts to unpack his bags...lo and behold she finds diamonds! Are these for me she says. Him..no idea what they are, that is not my bag.

Wife...okay, lets throw it away and pretend we never saw it. Here let me take it and lets go eat.

Next thing you know shes making a call and he gets pinched for theft.

There is no way in hell if I picked up the wrong bag and it looked like mine we would not make a quick look to make sure.

But me thinks there has been a long term scam going on here and he was taken advantage of due to his condition.

Someone travels with £20,000 worth of diamonds and they put the diamonds in a suitcase and check-in luggage at an airport...bullshit.

£20,000 worth of diamonds do not take up a large space and do not weigh much, nobody would risk losing something so valuable by putting them in check in luggae, they would be 100% in your pocket or in you carry-on hand luggage.

Someone travels with £20,000 worth of diamonds and they put the diamonds in a suitcase and check-in luggage at an airport...bullshit.

£20,000 worth of diamonds do not take up a large space and do not weigh much, nobody would risk losing something so valuable by putting them in check in luggae, they would be 100% in your pocket or in you carry-on hand luggage.

You're onto something there.

20 k quid of diamonds could quite possibly be only 3 or 4 diamonds, especially if they were of good quality.

Could be hidden in ur handkerchief.

This guy is a thief and picked up my bag with 200,000 pounds worth of diamonds.. hang on I mean 20,000 or was it 20b I have forgotten but there was diamond in there..somewhere.

no smoke without fire, i got a feeling we are not getting all the facts, his poor old mom sees nothing wrong with her boy. his first mistake was marring a Thai lady when he is physically and mentally not a 100%

If you go to Tesco in Udon Thani and look at many of the couples there, the man is obviously not all there - walking around with a woman who would be blend in better at the local fish market and her scavenger village kids throwing anything they want into the trolley .

If I had a suitcase full of diamonds, I'd make sure nobody else could pick it up

Does Udon have some sort of colony for mentally disabled foreigners then? Because looking around me in Chiang Rai, the Western/Thai couples with or without children I see seem rather boringly normal! Of course they may not live in a village but in some rather more upmarket area...altogether better sort of people.

whistling.gif

Edited by JAG

There must be a better way than having luggage travel down a conveyor belt. I can see how a person in a hurry could accidently pick the wrong bag!

Actually not. Most airlines provide a tag that you write your name on and hang it on the case. I have been flying to Thailand for over 28 years and have always put my name on the suitcase.

My suitcase (Polo) has also a sticker on 'I love Isaan' just to make sure I pickup the correct one. When I fly from Amsterdam I even wrap it up in plastic by some services to make sure no one is tampering with it.

As for the Brit why on earth would he trow away some bags that do not belong to him and not take his own bag after he found out he took the wrong bag.

A quick call to the airline could have solved the problem.

I've never done that, usually flying with British Airways or Thai, over a similar length of time.

£20,000 worth of Diamonds in the wrong suitcase he took by mistake, mmmm something smells fishy.

Insurance scam by the owner of the other suitcase?.

Stop stop stop bashing thai people! Every single thai travel with at least 1 million bahts worth of diamonds into their suitcases, it's a well known fact and it just surprise me that it wasn't much much more, must have been one of those isaan rice's farmer with not even a sick buffalo at home, sure!

Where is the British Embassy/Government and what are they doing to protect him?

How are they going to protect the criminal. Besides, they are more concern with UK/EU mess. Unless his family is wealthy and influential, embassy won't do anything special for a peasant.

Nobody puts 20,000 worth of diamonds in a check in suitcase.

He maybe ill but he was perfectly capable of getting on and off the plane, and easily made his way through the long immigration queue to the luggage area and out of the airport.

The story about his jail life is not true, foreigners are left alone unless they are disruptive <deleted>. Yes the food is bad but he can buy food from the prison shop. The sleeping arrangements are normally jam packed in any thai jail, and the sexual abuse rubbish is simply not true because the jail will have lots of ladyboys and gay boys for the thai inmates to play with.

He probably did pick up the wrong suitcase but why not return it and simply claim his own.

no smoke without fire, i got a feeling we are not getting all the facts, his poor old mom sees nothing wrong with her boy. his first mistake was marring a Thai lady when he is physically and mentally not a 100%

Is any bloke that marries any lady mentally 100%

Fishy story. And even more fishy she's blowing it all up saying she fears for his life. Why? Check the stats for Brits murdered in Thai jails. Not many i bet. I only saw one fight during my 50 days inside and that lasted about 3 seconds until the guards broke it up. Thai jails are not the "damage done" the book makes out.

And forget help from the British embassy. They don't know anything.

I think that while you might pick up the wrong bag, you would certainly realize your mistake before you opened it. Many newer suitcases have combination locks built right in and most people lock their cases certainly going through BKK. What happened to the diamonds? I can't believe that if you picked up a suitcase which had a great deal of money, diamonds or other easily tradable assets you wouldn't either give them back or keep them. You certainly wouldn't throw them away. Something fishy going on. Just goes to show though, if you come to Thailand, obey the law even if you are disabled.

Fishy story. And even more fishy she's blowing it all up saying she fears for his life. Why? Check the stats for Brits murdered in Thai jails. Not many i bet. I only saw one fight during my 50 days inside and that lasted about 3 seconds until the guards broke it up. Thai jails are not the "damage done" the book makes out.

And forget help from the British embassy. They don't know anything.

Yep, the whole story is weird and does not make much sense.

Neither do a few of the posts above.

One guy even said that drugs were involved. Ridiculous. If your suitcase containing drugs went missing, the last thing you would do is to involve the authorities. Maybe a bit of private work and a blunt instrument, but not the police.

If he is that disabled, how did he get to Thailand and marry a thai girl???? blink.png

I think we aren't getting the whole story. If his suitcase was exactly the same then it would be an easy story to explain.

And if he threw away the suitcase there must have been some CCTV and airport effort to ID him and track him down.

Of course the diamond bit isn't believable. If true the person would be in trouble with Thai customs!

They didn't need CCTV.

That other yellow suitcase going around and around the luggage carousel with his name on the baggage tag was probably a dead giveaway.

Then again, his Mum did say he had bad vision...so it could have been red case.

Baggage tags, always check your baggage tags!

Or do I smell BS coming from someone involved in this story.

I always check the tags now as once when flying home fro Thailand I picked up 2 bags but as I ws wheeling them I noticed one wobbled. I checked the bag and saw altought the tags were identicle it wasn't my name. As I was headed back to the carousal I saw a guy walking with same type bag. He had mine I had his. We exchanged the bags and went on our way. I ALWAYS check the tags now.

Also saw on Canadian Border Patrol tv program the customs agents were giving a guy grief for picking a wrong bag . Told him " you want us to believe this is not your bag and there is another bag just like it which the key you used to open this one " Walked back to the carousal with him was another bag there exactly like his which his key also opened !

You pick up the wrong case,and because it was not yours,You throw it away.I dont think so.Im sure that you want your own case,Sounds like there was something valuable in it.Then greed got the better of him,Then was to stupid to understand that they will know who took the case.Lastest news is family of new wife driving new toyota pick up.

Not sure every one answering this OP realises the price of diamonds... it seems people are talking as if the suitcase was full of diamonds

1) The price range for 1 carat diamonds is between $3,080 and $26,950 per carat.

2) Carat is the unit of measurement used to describe the weight of diamonds. One carat is equal to 0.2 grams, or 0.007 ounces (avoirdupois)

So when I read "diamond(s) in the suitcase" if he found something maybe it was only a single ring weighting no more than a few grams, but yes easily with a value of 20,000 £ coffee1.gif

"When he realised his mistake he panicked and threw it away"

why would you panic? just take it back to the airport

"Steven is severely disabled after having a large brain tumour removed in 2007. The operation lasted 10 hours and he has been left with limited sight, limited hearing, blurred vision, lack of concentration, blackouts and walks with a wobble."

Might have something to do with it.

Edited by Bluespunk