US Supreme Court strikes down Texas law imposing strict regulations on abortion

webfact

US Supreme Court strikes down Texas law imposing strict regulations on abortion

606x341_336906.jpg

WASHINGTON: -- Abortion rights activists have claimed a victory after the US Supreme Court ruled in their favour striking down a Texas law which imposes strict regulations on abortion provision.

The justices voted 5-3 in favor of the argument that the regulations were a thinly veiled attempt to make it harder for women to get an abortion.

Justice Stephen Breyer’s majority opinion for the court held that the regulations are medically unnecessary and unconstitutionally limit a woman’s right to an abortion.

Texas had argued that its 2013 law and subsequent regulations were needed to protect women’s health.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-06-28

Trump has being rather silent on this matter. It's because he has not stance. It was easy to pretend to be Pro-life in the primaries, but the majority of Americans are Pro-choice. It's one issue that he's trying to avoid, but he can't. If he goes against his Pro-life base, he'll be roasted by his own party. But if he meanders towards being anti-choice/anti-women, he's toast in the general. Either way, he's going to be raked over the coals on this one and it will be fun to watch.

This demonstrated the insidiousness of the evangelical Right Wing and how people have to be continually vigilant in detecting their sneaky antics. How the vote was 5:3 is concerning it should have been 8: Zip

Bloody Republicans just pains in the proverbial.

The Texas legislature will just keep interfering with abortion with endless new laws, rules and regulations to effectively make an abortion moot!! I learned over my 65 years in the USA that the Republicans do not care about personal rights except for the right to bear arms and to accumulate vast wealth tax free.

The true motto of the Republican party is "Work or die!" The work should be productive and too cheap for a family to live on! Actually, they would be quite happy to have our children work too.

Please don't be upset, it is just my opinion!

Rick Perry signed this unconstitutional law while he was governor and Scotus overturned the 5th Circuit Appeals Court which had thought the law was constitutional -- that's the same federal appeals court Scotus did not support on the Obama immigration order.

Several other red states out there adopted the onerous Texas anti-abortion law so they also lose in this one too.

The political and cultural effluent in the Texas pipeline starts to get backed up when it reaches Washington. The anti-abortion Ted Cruz gets to go back to Washington but not as Potus, so Cruz proves something sometime always gets through but that its stench sets it apart from everything else.

If women's health really matter...then Texas would have been allowed to regulate abortion doctor's clinics to provide a minimum standard of cleanliness and professionalism...if a Doctor is not vetted in any hospital in the area...where is he supposed to take a woman who has complications as a result of a botched abortion?

The lack of quality clinics...will be the result of this ruling...abortion would not have suffered either way...but woman very well may...

Abortion is a nasty business...this ruling just makes it more so...

If women's health really matter...then Texas would have been allowed to regulate abortion doctor's clinics to provide a minimum standard of cleanliness and professionalism...if a Doctor is not vetted in any hospital in the area...where is he supposed to take a woman who has complications as a result of a botched abortion?

The lack of quality clinics...will be the result of this ruling...abortion would not have suffered either way...but woman very well may...

Your ignorance is astounding. The question wasn't whether Texas can impose reasonable regulations on abortion clinics. The question was whether the regulations Texas imposed were reasonable. Here's the crucial paragraph from Justice Stephen Breyer:

"We add that, when directly asked at oral argument whether Texas knew of a single instance in which the new requirement would have helped even one woman obtain better treatment, Texas admitted that there was no evidence in the record of such a case."

This is not an issue me and my playmates have to think about much.

But it matters to the other half of the American electorate...the women. It matters quite a lot.

That kinda math is crap. You protect my 2nd amendment and I'll protect your rights. Every pro-abortionist I've ever met was an anti gunner.

This is not an issue me and my playmates have to think about much.

But it matters to the other half of the American electorate...the women. It matters quite a lot.

That kinda math is crap. You protect my 2nd amendment and I'll protect your rights. Every pro-abortionist I've ever met was an anti gunner.

Tell me, when someone mentions something like mayonnaise, do you take exception to it because mayonnaise eaters don't support 2nd amendment rights. I think you're a 2nd amendment obsessional. To rational people, Berkshire's comment had absolutely nothing to do with the 2nd amendment. Now someone might raise a rational objection to his comment. But yours doesn't qualify as such.

Your ignorance is astounding. The question wasn't whether Texas can impose reasonable regulations on abortion clinics. The question was whether the regulations Texas imposed were reasonable. Here's the crucial paragraph from Justice Stephen Breyer:

"We add that, when directly asked at oral argument whether Texas knew of a single instance in which the new requirement would have helped even one woman obtain better treatment, Texas admitted that there was no evidence in the record of such a case."

Your brilliance is shining like a flood light in toilet stall...no doubt you are experienced in oral arguments...

Republicans are always on the wrong side of everything.

Five months and counting till the wingnut world is blown away. President, Congress and Supreme Court...all gone.

Your brilliance is shining like a flood light in toilet stall...no doubt you are experienced in oral arguments...

Whether I am or not is irrelevant. But I suspect Justice Stephen Breyer is. And it doesn't change the fact that you seemed to be completely ignorant of the facts of the case.

It ought to be that an AMA certified doctor can open an abortion clinic just like they open Pediatric clinics, Podiatry clinics or any other type of clinic. It should be a private practice and follow all the same rules and regulations as every other type of doctor.

The biggest problem comes from whether or not it should be covered by insurance. Then the argument comes into play on whether or not it should be federally funded in the case of socialized medicine.

Then, there will always be the religious factor. This is where both federal and state governments should completely back away as they all preach freedom of religion until it goes against theirs.

It really can be drawn down to some very basic guidelines: If you're getting an abortion because you were stupid then you should have the right but pay for it yourself. If you're getting an abortion because child birth would be life threatening then you should have known beforehand, pay for it yourself AND get your tubes tied. If you're getting and abortion due to a criminal act that resulted in an unwanted pregnancy then it should be treated as victim relief and covered by the same means as you would be covered for any other medical procedure.

In the case of the last instance, the perpetrator should be castrated or put to death as there obviously needs to be some gene pool cleansing.

It ought to be that an AMA certified doctor can open an abortion clinic just like they open Pediatric clinics, Podiatry clinics or any other type of clinic. It should be a private practice and follow all the same rules and regulations as every other type of doctor.

The biggest problem comes from whether or not it should be covered by insurance. Then the argument comes into play on whether or not it should be federally funded in the case of socialized medicine.

Then, there will always be the religious factor. This is where both federal and state governments should completely back away as they all preach freedom of religion until it goes against theirs.

It really can be drawn down to some very basic guidelines: If you're getting an abortion because you were stupid then you should have the right but pay for it yourself. If you're getting an abortion because child birth would be life threatening then you should have known beforehand, pay for it yourself AND get your tubes tied. If you're getting and abortion due to a criminal act that resulted in an unwanted pregnancy then it should be treated as victim relief and covered by the same means as you would be covered for any other medical procedure.

In the case of the last instance, the perpetrator should be castrated or put to death as there obviously needs to be some gene pool cleansing.

Yes I love 'basic guidelines'. The continuance of a pregnancy is a private matter between a patient and her Doctor and absolutely nothing to do with the Supreme Court or idiot politicians or any persons (particularly male) religious or moral vagaries. If you are neither a woman or pregnant it has didley squat to do with you so best mind your own business. The only responsibility a society has is to the safety and well being of the young women in their society, apart from that butt out. All women's health care costs should be gladly paid by the collective society. There is no more precious asset to a society than the women in that society. They are all our Mothers, sisters and daughters and as men they are our responsibility to provide and to protect unconditionally and without judgement.