M.L. Panadda unveils 'Pride of Thailand' project

webfact

M.L. Panadda unveils 'Pride of Thailand' project

pot.jpg

BANGKOK, 28 June 2016, (NNT) - The government has officially announced a project to construct a massive digital database of positive stories in the Kingdom, entitled "The Pride of Thailand".

Unveiling the project was Minister Attached to the Prime Minister's Office M.L. Panadda Diskul, who invited all Thais to share their quintessentially Thai stories and make them proud to be Thai citizens.

The minister disclosed that the database will be the biggest in Thailand's history, and will only grow larger with each generation. He hoped that the project would instill a sense of patriotism in all Thais, while giving the world an uplifting view of the Thai people.

M.L. Panadda indicated that the database can be used to promote domestic tourism and help people in remote areas generate more revenue.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-06-28 footer_n.gif

That is going to be a task and a half finding enough content. Most of the news is filled with acts of violence which I know the Thai people are anything but proud of.

Yep, they most certainly need a "massive" database of manufactured propaganda to counter the reality on the daily news...

That is going to be a task and a half finding enough content. Most of the news is filled with acts of violence which I know the Thai people are anything but proud of.

Yep, they most certainly need a "massive" database of manufactured propaganda to counter the reality on the daily news...

"Yep, they most certainly need a "massive" database of manufactured propaganda to counter the reality on the daily news..."

I think that encapsulates it nicely. Hits all the buttons. Good comment.

Winnie

Once upon a time in a land far, far away........................ They have plenty to be ashamed about but very little to be proud of. The only things I can honestly think of that they have to be proud of is in music and dance, other than that there is nothing to shout about, and much to be swept under the carpet.

Edited by thai3

Oh good grief, what sort of stupidity is this? As someone already stated, just a propaganda project. Do they not have much more important things to be doing? Given the state of this country, that they actually held meetings and wasted time to come up with this idea is astonishing.

Once upon a time in a land far, far away........................ They have plenty to be ashamed about but very little to be proud of. The only things I can honestly think of that they have to be proud of is in music and dance, other than that there is nothing to shout about, and much to be swept under the carpet.

Some Thais are very good at drawing and twirling pens (something I could never do), and, as we've seen in the past few days, sandcastle-building. In my experience however, a goodly number of them learn or develop these skills while they should be learning something different. Like how to add up without using a calculator.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

"Massive digital database"

I think I've got a spare USB thumbdrive somewhere, that should be plenty.

USB thumb drive is most likely incompatible with the government's overpriced computer systems... I could lend them a 1.44MB floppy.

It's fitting that a country's leaders seek to instil national pride in their citizens, but it's quite a different thing indeed when the junta-instigators do this to incite xenophobic nationalist fervor.

Instead of building another Victory Monument (that most Thais will tell you commemorates their glorious 1941 victory over an Imperialist European colonial power), let's make a "massive" db filled it with stories (history - rewritten the way Thai army generals will have you believe it happened).

post-209291-0-70325800-1467114963_thumb.

What was once a Fantasy Land is fast becoming the Land of Make-believe! Filled to overflowing with such pride (that they can do anything), I wouldn't be surprised to see them hold a referendum on their THEXIT from AEC.

That monument is a joke, the territory occupied from the French had to be handed back after the war on the threat of Thailand not being admitted to the UN. Should be renamed piric victory monument

Some Thais are very good at drawing and twirling pens (something I could never do), and, as we've seen in the past few days, sandcastle-building. In my experience however, a goodly number of them learn or develop these skills while they should be learning something different. Like how to add up without using a calculator.

Winnie

Sandcastles you say?

They are even better at building castles in the sky

It's fitting that a country's leaders seek to instil national pride in their citizens, but it's quite a different thing indeed when the junta-instigators do this to incite xenophobic nationalist fervor.

Instead of building another Victory Monument (that most Thais will tell you commemorates their glorious 1941 victory over an Imperialist European colonial power), let's make a "massive" db filled it with stories (history - rewritten the way Thai army generals will have you believe it happened).

attachicon.gifVictory_Monument.jpg

What was once a Fantasy Land is fast becoming the Land of Make-believe! Filled to overflowing with such pride (that they can do anything), I wouldn't be surprised to see them hold a referendum on their THEXIT from AEC.

yeah they made a big thing about the 'one' pilot who managed to bring down the 'one' B29

1941 - oh yeah, the year when they simply turned their backs, wai-ed to the Japs; letting them in, all the while pretending to resist the 'invasion'. Vichy France all over again

'Pride of Thailand' project, to give Thais more 'patriotism'. Oh please - hand me the sick bag! The last thing Thais need is more ill-deserved patriotism. The first thing they desperately need is a good, honest dose of Reality about themselves and their country. Will never happen here, of course - especially not under the present 'regime'.

Given that hagiographies and Royal Chronicles serve as the basis for the Thai education system's sources for teaching Thai history it is not surprising that a high sakdina ML would want to select and edit stories written by other Thais to create "quintessentially Thai stories" that "make them proud to be Thai citizens". The "manufacturing of consent", the "imagined community", it all comes together in Thailand.

Maybe some are not proud of that, but for most of them it is mai pan rai ! Edited by thesetat2013

Maybe some are not proud of that, but for most of them it is mai pan rai !

That is called indifference but does not put them in the classification of being proud of it.