Confirmation

Just a quick query. If my tourist visa expires on Friday 17th, but I only go for a border run on Saturday 18th, am I write in thinking that there will be no overstay fine, or will it be 500 bhat and maybe future problems with the new regulations?

Believe it will be 500b if you make it to the border. If police find you in normal passport check you will go to jail and be subject to court proceedings. If you try to enter another country and they refuse because of your overstay stamp you will be subject to arrest and deportation. Don't overstay.

From Immigration web site:

Overstayers can pay overstay fine at Aran immigration checkpoint.

- Note: If you have paid the overstay fine and are stamped out of Thailand, the Cambodian Immigration could reject entry and send you back to Thailand without stamping you in and out of Cambodia. In this case the Thai Immigration will have to send you to Immigration Bureau in Bangkok for investigation/interrogation/deportation.

- Cambodian Immigration could reject entry for different reasons. This is nothing to do with Thai Immigration.

*** Please note that if you are on the way to the border, police or immigration officers can check your passport, and if you are found to have overstayed your visa they will arrest you and send you to the nearest police station, and then to court.

Just a quick query. If my tourist visa expires on Friday 17th, but I only go for a border run on Saturday 18th, am I write in thinking that there will be no overstay fine, or will it be 500 bhat and maybe future problems with the new regulations?

In the past they used to allow a 1-2 day grace period. That was at the airport in BKK.

I once missed a flight an stayed an extra day hence a 1 day overstay. No eyebrow was raised upon exit through immigration.

But I was nervous!

I know what the accommodations at the immigration jail are like from personal experience. Trust me it's something you could easily live without.

Err on the conservative would be wise advice.

one day they never worried about in the past but with things as they are who knows.

There have been incidents in the recent past where the buses taking Visa runners to the border have been stopped by police. People whose visas had expired were arrested and apparently kept locked up for quite some time. Quite why those particular buses were stopped is a matter for conjecture and one's imagination (!!) but, IMHO, the bottom line is DO NOT OVERSTAY if you can possibly avoid it. As other posters have said, you will only get a day's grace if you make it to the border and, in the current climate it might be advisable to avoid having anything untoward in your passport. (That last comment assumes that they might stamp "Overstay" in your PP if you do - I have no personal experience of this, however.)

my experience with overstay was this,

I am stamped in on 30 day in BKK, only the date is out by 1 day, is 29.

We went to Phuket and asked immigration people to ammend the visa, they said no worries, 1 day overstay no problem, this was 1.5 years ago, things have changed

We went to Phuket and asked immigration people to ammend the visa, they said no worries, 1 day overstay no problem, this was 1.5 years ago, things have changed

Are you sure it was an error. They only give 29 full days as they count the first day as day 1. Your 30th day will only be your 29th full 24 hour day.

Are you sure it was an error. They only give 29 full days as they count the first day as day 1. Your 30th day will only be your 29th full 24 hour day.

was an error I went thru the Thai immigration gate and the stamp hadnt been changed

Immigration Police will not normally arrest you so they say no problem (from them). But regular police can and will arrest you.