Red plates to White plates

Hel123

I purchased a new vehicle from a Nissan dealership in Pattaya.

Everything has been fine.

I've now been told that the White plates are ready and I need to get letter from immigration ?

Can anyone advise whether this is something the dealership should do or if I have to do it myself what do document do I need from immigration ?

Thanks

H

Your address is on your driving license why would they need the Embassy who ha no real idea where you live to verify it? Before anyone answers yes I know TIT

Logic does not always prevail when dealing with governments.

Having a Thai driver license is not a requirement to purchase a vehicle in Thailand and yes you are right, the embassy have no way of verifying the validity of your address, but that what the department of transportation wanted.

Certificate of address is required. Can be done at immigration, embassy, or via workpermit or yellow housebook.

Correct. A Letter of Residence is needed when buying and or selling a car in Thailand. They should have asked you for this letter when you originally bought the car.

go to your local immigration where your tm30 was lodged. get a certificate of residence - up here in nakhon phanom they just issue another tm30 for thb 800 - your nissan dealer needs that to retrieve your plates. just been through this.

Certificate of address is required. Can be done at immigration, embassy, or via workpermit or yellow housebook.

Correct. A Letter of Residence is needed when buying and or selling a car in Thailand. They should have asked you for this letter when you originally bought the car.

When I bought my car, although it was about six years ago, I did not need a "letter of residence", though I did have a work permit.

When I bought my car, although it was about six years ago, I did not need a "letter of residence", though I did have a work permit.

Your car is not legal. Please up grade driver.

I do not have the car now, and I can assure you it was legal.

I bought the car in Bangkok from a dealer then transferred the cars registration etc, to Phichit, where I live.

No letter of residency was asked for, probably because I had a work permit.

When I purchased from Mazda, Pattaya, I had to have the Cert of Residence BEFORE Transport office would process the registration i.e. prior to them allocating a number and white plates being available.

As I said: "Certificate of address is required. Can be done at immigration, embassy, or via workpermit or yellow housebook.".

Possum's car is completely legally registered, a certificate of residence OR a work permit is required. Some DLT's ask exclusively for a certificate from the embassy, even if it's not a real proof of adress.

Possum's car is completely legally registered, a certificate of residence OR a work permit is required. Some DLT's ask exclusively for a certificate from the embassy, even if it's not a real proof of adress.

AFAIK that final sentence is not correct.

Maybe you can tell us the DLT's this concerns?