Treatment plant expansion seen as key to reversing Pattaya’s worsening water quality

Rimmer

Treatment plant expansion seen as key to reversing Pattaya’s worsening water quality

1196-n6Bay1.jpg

PATTAYA:--Expansion of two sewage-treatment plants and better connections to the city’s main flood-drainage system would go a long way toward reversing Pattaya’s declining water quality, local environmental officials said.

Acting Mayor Chanatpong Sriviset chaired a June 20 meeting with pollution-control agencies and the Chon­buri Environment Department to draft a water-quality master plan for 2017-2021.

A recent Marine Water Quality Index survey of five eastern provinces found that seawater in Chonburi – particularly Pattaya Bay and Laem Chabang – badly trailed nearly 60 other locations in Rayong, Chachoengsao, Trat and Chantaburi provinces.

Those areas tested better than 75 percent healthy, while Pattaya’s water quality dropped from the last MWQI, said Thanapong Rattanawuthinan, director of strategy for the Chonburi Office of Natural Resources and Environment.

Jomtien, South Pattaya, North Pattaya and Koh Larn are still considered safe, he said, but the decline in quality is worrying and worsening.

The main problem, the meeting was told, is the flow of sewage and garbage into the sea as a result of repeated flooding in Pattaya. Authorities are looking into the wastewater system and will have to find other alternatives, like expanding the two existing treatment plants, Chanatpong said.

The trash issues, he added, are also being looked into and authorities are planning to create a new dumpsite near Khao Maikaew, where angry residents previously closed a city dump.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/treatment-plant-expansion-seen-key-reversing-pattayas-worsening-water-quality-140804

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2016-07-01 footer_n.gif

Stop gap measures at best. A lot of smoke but any fire? Just another situation like the dead incinerator and tonnes of garbage piling up daily. Nothing will be done till tourists complain of turds floating by. The Russians are returning? yeah sure and they will soon be surpassed by Americans?. Makes sense Americans are the only people left with a few bucks in their pockets and above average friendly bankers. The party rocks on.

"The main problem, the meeting was told, is the flow of sewage and garbage into the sea as a result of repeated flooding in Pattaya"

During so called "beach improvement" projects in Pattaya and Jomtien, it never did cross their alleged minds to put in decent drainage pipes... I'd like to start a pool for when stairs near Silver Sand are going to collapse due to becoming defacto storm drains to "sand grand canyons in miniature" and the sea.

I have lived in Jomtien Beach for 7 years, but I have not been in the water for four years after a very disgusting experience I had. I was going in to the sea every night around 6 p.m. for about 30 minutes. I just paddled around up to my neck most of that time. One day something bumped in to the back of my head. I turned around to see a large piece of feces ....... a cleanup is way way way overdue!

Treatment Plant expansion ? As far as I know there is no functioning treatment plant serving the requirements of this city. I do believe everything goes out into the bay, amazing for a supposedly world class resort. Small chance of one coming into operation too, when the city engineering department cannot even install a storm water drainage system that works :(

Acting Mayor Chanatpong Sriviset chaired a June 20 meeting with pollution-control agencies and the Chon­buri Environment Department.

Wow. One wonders about these agencies. What do they actually do? Who chairs them? What accomplishments can they site on their watch? The level of pollution control is something we always wonder about. Sewage treatment facilities? What about drainage?

I lived here for several years and watch ALL FOOD ESTABLISHMENTS dump their waste and oil into the storm drains, water stations drain into the streets.

So, I have and never eat any fish in this country.

The chemicals on farms running into the water supply, they just don't understand.

I have lived in Jomtien Beach for 7 years, but I have not been in the water for four years after a very disgusting experience I had. I was going in to the sea every night around 6 p.m. for about 30 minutes. I just paddled around up to my neck most of that time. One day something bumped in to the back of my head. I turned around to see a large piece of feces ....... a cleanup is way way way overdue!

post-180716-0-81331000-1467380667_thumb.post-180716-0-92715700-1467380735_thumb.

What a surprise, 10,000 condo rooms, no sewerage, plus sunken ships and ballast tank discharge from Laem Chabang - not to mention the Chaophraya and Kapong rivers discharging into the Gulf.......

Treatment Plant expansion ? As far as I know there is no functioning treatment plant serving the requirements of this city. I do believe everything goes out into the bay, amazing for a supposedly world class resort. Small chance of one coming into operation too, when the city engineering department cannot even install a storm water drainage system that works sad.png

First of all, there is a functioning sewage treatment installed by Summit Grade Company linked to Somchai Khunpleum (Khanam Poh, the Godfather of Chonburi), and father of the former Mayor of Pattaya. When I first visited Pattaya in 1982, there was only one sewage plant installed at one hotel on Soi 2 beach road that was installed by the Americans during the Vietnam War. 34 years ago the waste water from all hotels, houses and restaurants flowed down the roads and into the sea. I convinced my friend to install the first sewage plant at his hotel, the Woodland Resort in Pattaya and in turn Alois Fassbind installed a Sewage Treatment Plant at the Royal Cliff Hotel Jomtien. We fought a long and hard battle to get a Treatment Plant for Pattaya/Jomtien with my friend joining the council to fight for a central sewage treatment plant. After convincing Somchai of the benefits to him, the Sewage Treatment System went ahead.

The problem is that the Pattaya/Jomtien sewerage plant and sewerage plant is overloaded due to the huge increase in population especially at high season, therefore the central treatment plant must be expanded. With a new Mayor let us hope that the expansion of the sewage treatment system can now go ahead.

Treatment Plant expansion ? As far as I know there is no functioning treatment plant serving the requirements of this city. I do believe everything goes out into the bay, amazing for a supposedly world class resort. Small chance of one coming into operation too, when the city engineering department cannot even install a storm water drainage system that works sad.png

there is one small treatment centre at the fire brigade location on 3rd. road. I have no idea how efficient it is, but it has been there for a longtime. It does function as i walk past it from time to time and hear it churning away.

All the sin from the night before goes right out to the beach. I've never stuck a toe in it. bah.gif

And still you see Russian families enjoying their daily swim in the dirty water while we all look at them as stupid humans. Amazing.

Archived