How to get a Category o single entry in the UK

Hi

My brother is retiring soon and wants to know how he can get a single entry o visa from the Glasgow or London Thai embassy he is 62 years old and is divorced from his Thai wife but has 2 children both adults who were born in the UK and live there.

I know that things have changed since I got my O visa so I am looking for some updated information as my brother will come to Thailand to retire. I know the information for the retirement extension at the immigration office so that is not a problem.

Regards

Scotsman

He will not be able to get a non-o visa for being 50 or over for retirement in the UK. They only issue them to those 65 or over who are getting a old age pension. He could apply for a OA visa at the embassy that would allow unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue.

If he has proof (Thai birth certificate) he is a parent of a Thai he could get the non-o visa based upon that.

A couple of other options.

• He could enter with tourist visa and go to Vientiane, Laos to get a non 'O' visa.
  • He could enter with a tourist visa and convert to a non 'O' entry in Thailand. It takes two trips to immigration and it might have to be done in Bangkok.

Thank you for the information you say that my brother would have to have a Thai birth certificate but the children were born in the UK so he only has a copy of the UK birth certificate would that do when applying?

So if you have a tourist visa for 60 days you can wait for the last 30 days of the visa and go to immigration and extend to the Retirement permission to stay or is this for the non-o single entry with 90 days?

Regards

Scotsman

Thank you for the information you say that my brother would have to have a Thai birth certificate but the children were born in the UK so he only has a copy of the UK birth certificate would that do when applying?

So if you have a tourist visa for 60 days you can wait for the last 30 days of the visa and go to immigration and extend to the Retirement permission to stay or is this for the non-o single entry with 90 days?

Regards

Scotsman

1. They are Thai by birthright but your brother would have to prove the fact with Thai Birth certificates.
  2. Anytime within the first 45 (maybe 39) days he can go to immigration to apply to convert the tourist visa entry to a non 'O' visa/entry. About two weeks later he would return to immigrations who will put a non 'O' visa in his passport, and grant him a 90 day permit to stay. During the last 30 (maybe 45) days of the 90 he would go back to immigration to apply for the 1 year extension of stay based on retirement.
Edited by elviajero

Regards

Scotsman

They should have Thai birth certificates. Those could of been applied for and issued at the Thai embassy shortly after they were born.

The UK birth certificates would likely be accepted along with proof that their mother is Thai.

If he gets a tourist visa he could apply for a change of visa status to get a non immigrant visa entry at any time during the 60 day entry up to the last 15 days of it.

Thank you both for the information so it looks good to apply in the UK for the single oa visa as my brother can prove all that is required for this, and we have the back up plan of the tourist visa.

regards

Scotsman

• Like 1