A new washing machine

Gary A

The old faithful LG finally gave up after ten years of good service. In ten years I replaced the solenoid for the water inlet. That is the extent of the maintenance. We have a fairly new Samsung at the condo that my wife says does a better job washing clothes than the LG but it is so seldom used that I don't know how reliable it is going to be. Anyone have any suggestions which brand is reliable?

Also had a LG, was OK for 8 years, then suddenly constantly failed, bought a new one Electrolux what a load of **** 3 repairs in the 1st year, then month 13 and out of guarantee the main control panel went, would have cost more or less the same price as a new machine... got 300 baht from the recycle place

Now have a 17 KG Toshiba for over 2 years, best machine ever had... sorry other than Samsung mobile phones/tablets would not have anything Samsung again, [constant problems with a 36,000 baht fridge/freezer, big TV, both dumped at the recycle place as soon as the free guarantee ran out, as constant repairs]

Edited by ignis

I have been a Siemens fan since moving back to Thailand; that's 12 years now. Two machines in two different locations. The first one was already provided by the landlord and was so good, Mrs NL insisted on the same make/model when we relocated and bought our own.

Also had a LG, was OK for 8 years, then suddenly constantly failed, bought a new one Electrolux what a load of **** 3 repairs in the 1st year, then month 13 and out of guarantee the main control panel went, would have cost more or less the same price as a new machine... got 300 baht from the recycle place

Now have a 17 KG Toshiba for over 2 years, best machine ever had... sorry other than Samsung mobile phones/tablets would not have anything Samsung again, [constant problems with a 36,000 baht fridge/freezer, big TV, both dumped at the recycle place as soon as the free guarantee ran out, as constant repairs]

Today we bought the 11 KG Toshiba inverter. I didn't even know they made an inverter washing machine. Motor guaranteed 10 years. The salesman was trying his best to talk her into buying the Samsung. I told my wife the Toshiba would save money on the electric bill and that the salesman probably got more commision from Samsung than Toshiba. I don't know if the inverter machine will save electricity or not but the wife liked that idea.

Today we bought the 11 KG Toshiba inverter. I didn't even know they made an inverter washing machine. Motor guaranteed 10 years. The salesman was trying his best to talk her into buying the Samsung. I told my wife the Toshiba would save money on the electric bill and that the salesman probably got more commision from Samsung than Toshiba. I don't know if the inverter machine will save electricity or not but the wife liked that idea.

So far I'm not at all impressed. I leveled the machine, hooked up everything, turned it on and no water is coming out. Damned if I'm going to tear apart a brand new machine. Got blinking lights like it is working but no water.

How long did you wait for the water to start flowing? My six-month old Panasonic has a "feature" where the water doesn't start until about a minute after you start the machine. Closest I can tell it's to let you put in the detergent in after the machine determines the load. Well, I don't let the machine determine the water level needed for the load I'm washing, but still have to wait...

I think the problem was with the water level sensor. I filled the machine manually, rocked it around some and it went into the wash cycle, When it went into the rinse cycle, the water came on by itself and seems to be working properly now. My wife has now washed three loads and it seems OK. It runs amazingly quiet and however they do it, there is very little vibration during the high speed spin cycle. The old LG used to clunk and walk around some.

ADDED - The manual is in Thai and NO English.

Edited by Gary A

Ha ha ha, yes had the same thing 1st time I used, If it is anything like my 17 KG Toshiba inverter, you have to wait after switching on before closing the lid, will only work when the LOCK light is on...

Normal for me is add washing power and softener, switch on, select program, then I add the clothes to wash and close, the LOCK light comes on and away we go. ..

I bought a top loader Samsung just over a year ago. It stopped working 2 days after the year's warranty finished. Been trying to get a replacement control panel for 5 weeks - no sign of any Samsung service - wouldn't consider another Samsung. The Samsung engineer recommended LG!!

Since I got it working the wife seems to have figured it out. She has not complained so it must be working to suit her.

I think that while you were posting here, your wife sussed out what the issue was. Like mine, she will let you carry on thinking you are Mr FixIt.

Edited by NanLaew

i won't be surprised to read soon that somebody bought an inverter coffee maker, an inverter cooktop, an inverter television set or an inverter door bell because it saves electricity gigglem.gif

i won't be surprised to read soon that somebody bought an inverter coffee maker, an inverter cooktop, an inverter television set or an inverter door bell because it saves electricity gigglem.gif

I already have an "inverter coffee maker". The only way that I can get the coffee from the pot it to "invert" it, slowly!

I already have an "inverter coffee maker". The only way that I can get the coffee from the pot it to "invert" it, slowly!

thumbsup.gif

I inherited an LG top-loader in my condo. It was probably 10-12 years old. Whilst it still worked correctly I wanted a larger model with a better choice of programmes (particularly the "fuzzy logic" quick wash), so I got another slightly bigger LG top-loader which was installed by the shop (BigC) and still works fine after 2-3 years.

I think that top-loaders are a better design in most respects (no seals needed on doors, no excessive and unbalanced strain on only one bearing, no need to bend double to get clothes in/out, easy to see if you have forgotten anything inside). The only obvious advantage to me of front-loaders is the way that the clothes tumble down onto themselves which must be good for cleaning, and the possible water economy. And of course there may be space-saving requirements (not a problem in my condo).

Whilst an inverter is unlikely to save much power, I wonder if it might be an advantage in a device that starts and stops and reverses so much of the time? That said, when regular washing machines do fail it rarely seems to be the motor at fault. The control panel or pump or seals usually seem to be the cause, and I dont suppose an inverter model would be any better in that respect.

Electrolux washer and dryer, both frontloaders, running (seems to me) day and night since 10½ years. dryer drive-belt changed ~2 years ago.

2 Hitachi fridge-freezers, 10½ years, both starting relay changed after 8 and 9 years.

Samsung TV 67" lasted 3½ years, refund 96,000 Baht, irrepairable. Mrs bought smaller TV for less than half the price and kept difference.

Samsung TV 67" one part changed after 9 years (17,000 Baht), conked off completely after exactly 10 years.

wife acquired 37 years ago, no repairs but considerably high maintenance cost.