How long will your school be closed and from when to when?

I've Googled and found this:

List of National Public holidays of Thailand in 2016

.Day Date Holiday

1.Monday July 18 Jul 18 Public Holiday

2.Tuesday July 19 Jul 19 Asahna Bucha Day

3.Wednesday July 20 Jul 20 Buddhist Lent

Do some schools extend the holiday for 2 more days? Thank you very much for an answer.

There are thousands of schools in Thailand, and I doubt that anyone has information on every one of them. This is probably someone who has posted a very general question, when he is actually seeking information about one school, or a few schools.

ThaiVisa produces a very nice calendar each year, showing public holidays. Might save you Googling for more. The photos for each month are excellent.

School Directors have a huge amount of power here. They are pretty much autonomous and can arbitrarily decide to give everyone a day off or make everyone (teachers that is, not students) come on on days that should be days off!

The 19th and 20th are national holidays & all schools should be closed. Unless you school director is on some kind of mad power trip, Monday the 18th should be a day off too.

My school is off 18-20 July. We're also looking for a native speaking teacher (UK/US). Full time private school in Chonburi. IMMEDIATE opening. PM me if you or someone you know is interested.

What about NNES teachers with a lot of experience and a TL?

Holidays are subject to Labour laws.. Companies and schools can choose to give certain days from general holidays ie not mandatory holidays but i believe that as long as the total mandatory and general exceeds 13 days then that is correct.. Schools also have a certain amount of days to schedule according to MOE regulations.

http://www.ilo-phuket.com/legal-documents/thai-labour-laws.html

1. Traditional holidays. An employee is entitled to 13 paid public holidays each year. If a public holiday falls on a weekly day off, the next working day must be granted as a paid holiday. The 13 paid holidays must be chosen from the 16 holidays published by the Thai government and that must includes the National Labor day. An employer must notify its employees which of the following days will be considered public holidays:
Date Name of Holiday January 1 New Year’s Day January to March Makha Bucha Day April 7 Substitution of Chakri Memorial day April 13 to 15 Songkran Day (3 days) April 16 Substitution of Sonkran Day (bank don’t close) May 1 National Labor Day (Government don’t close) May 5 Coronation Day May 9 Royal Ploughing Cermony day (bank don’t close) May 19 Visakha Bucha Day July 17 Asarnha Bucha Day (Bank don’t close) July 28 Khao Phansa (Buddhist lent day) August 12 H.M. the Queen’s Birthday October 23 Chulalongkorn Day December H.M. the King’s Birthday December 10 Constitution Day December 31 New Year’s Eve

My school closed in 1963 and never re opened ..................or is this about something else ?

And how many years did you miss? giggle.gif

I left the year before with my school cap atop The White Hart pub sign at the bottom of the road.. Happiest days of your life .......... nope they are now.

16-20 July at many schools, including mine.

For more information, ask the head of the department at your school, and then make an educated guess based on previous experience at the school as to whether you will have to come in on 17, 18 or 19 July.

Pretty much affirmed, Monday the 18th, Tuesday the 19th, and Wednesday the 20th no classes and the school's are closed. Friday the 15th is considered an optional day, no school work expected in the classroom so you can easily just skip it. Half of your class will be absent anyhow. Thursday the 21st, same story. Students just want to visit their friends they haven't seen in six days, just figure it's a play day. Friday the 22nd, well could anyone really expect to teach students just off a week long holiday on a Friday? So in short, you are free to go to wherever you go the morning of the 15th and be back ready to teach Monday the 25th. You got to love it really, so many holidays with pay.

For more information, ask the head of the department at your school, and then make an educated guess based on previous experience at the school as to whether you will have to come in on 17, 18 or 19 July.

It's never a good idea to ask a question like that. The answer will always be what the Director has told them. Just figure the 15th to the 25th. It's odd you have been lured into the Thai way of thinking that a Saturday(the 16th) is considered a holiday despite it being your time, not the schools. So sick of hearing "four days off" when two of them are weekend days. Cheers and O O.

My school is off 18-20 July. We're also looking for a native speaking teacher (UK/US). Full time private school in Chonburi. IMMEDIATE opening. PM me if you or someone you know is interested.

What about NNES teachers with a lot of experience and a TL?

What about Non Native English Speaking teachers? What sort of inquiry is that? The member clearly stated native speaking teacher from the UK or the US. Private schools generally speaking have parents who know the difference, albeit that may be a broad statement. I guess it depends on the tuition and actual academic status of said school. Any parent paying more that about 15,000.Baht per term is going to expect and demand NES's and not accept Filipino's, Middle Easterners and Eastern/non English Western Europeans no matter their "accent is good" claims of management. It's about more than accent, it's also about manners and life experiences etc.. You know this. Just having my Vietnamese <deleted> coffee and toast. God Bless You.

You could do the unthinkable and contact the school for the information? I am sure they would give it you

The 16th and 17th are holidays. All other days you need to come, sign in, and see what's happening.

Perhaps in the country where you're working but not in Thailand.

It's never a good idea to ask a question like that. The answer will always be what the Director has told them. Just figure the 15th to the 25th. It's odd you have been lured into the Thai way of thinking that a Saturday(the 16th) is considered a holiday despite it being your time, not the schools. So sick of hearing "four days off" when two of them are weekend days. Cheers and O O.

Every third Saturday is a school day where I am In KK.

Sadly, incorrect in your assumptions, sir. We know when we have days off. We can pretty much guarantee 95% of students will be at our school on both 15 July and 21 July.

It pays to pick and choose a good school.

We're going to Manila for ten days. If the school doesn't like it, they can hire someone else. Huge demand among agencies right now so no worries. Fine food, gambling, women. It's going to be a blast. O O

Enjoy hope it's worth your job. Children you teach mean nothing to you obviously.

We're going to Manila for ten days. If the school doesn't like it, they can hire someone else. Huge demand among agencies right now so no worries. Fine food, gambling, women. It's going to be a blast. O O

Enjoy hope it's worth your job. Children you teach mean nothing to you obviously.

You still don't get it. Many regrets. Life isn't about one thing, it's about living. Whatever that means it'll be on my mind as I gawk at those Philippine darlings looking for a good guy and eating fine US and Japanese steaks while all the while you are getting your 20 Baht chicken leg fat and rice. Cheers mate.

You still don't get it. Many regrets. Life isn't about one thing, it's about living. Whatever that means it'll be on my mind as I gawk at those Philippine darlings looking for a good guy and eating fine US and Japanese steaks while all the while you are getting your 20 Baht chicken leg fat and rice. Cheers mate.

Bruce, please be honest to yourself. it's not about what people on this forum might think about you after reading your post.

A caring teacher? You gotta be kidding.

I always thought that you were from the Philippines, but couldn't understand why you made yourself to a "better teacher" than those from there.

Making such a statement that they can "hire somebody else, if they don't like it" shows how much you really like the kids you've taught.

Are you trying to sound cool acting like you could pick jobs when and in the way you want to? All those Philippine darlings, what does that mean?

Oh, Mr Bruce knows all the places where you can rent a girl or a woman in Manila which is as easy as buying chewing gum at 7 Eleven. You're a tough guy.

And what should your disgracing remark mean that we can eat our 20 baht chicken leg fat and rice?

So you're a better person with more cash than the ordinary folks here, who're trying to help some others. You seem to have more and more problems with others and you should consider to answer a question if possible, or do nothing.

Regarding your food in the Philippines,I have to admit that you made me laugh with your US and Japanese steaks, that's maybe the only eatable food you can get there.

I Would Rather Go Hungry Than Eat Filipino Street Food Again! http://etramping.com/rather-go-hungry-eat-filipino-food-again/

And your fine food, women and gambling? cheesy.gif cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Sorry, to all others for being off topic.

I hope the little kiddie gangsters will surround you and make your holiday a few days shorter. Enjoy your stay and the recycled chicken legs from Thailand.

Bruce, please be honest to yourself. it's not about what people on this forum might think about you after reading your post.

A caring teacher? You gotta be kidding.

I always thought that you were from the Philippines, but couldn't understand why you made yourself to a "better teacher" than those from there.

Making such a statement that they can "hire somebody else, if they don't like it" shows how much you really like the kids you've taught.

Are you trying to sound cool acting like you could pick jobs when and in the way you want to? All those Philippine darlings, what does that mean?

Oh, Mr Bruce knows all the places where you can rent a girl or a woman in Manila which is as easy as buying chewing gum at 7 Eleven. You're a tough guy.

And what should your disgracing remark mean that we can eat our 20 baht chicken leg fat and rice?

So you're a better person with more cash than the ordinary folks here, who're trying to help some others. You seem to have more and more problems with others and you should consider to answer a question if possible, or do nothing.

Regarding your food in the Philippines,I have to admit that you made me laugh with your US and Japanese steaks, that's maybe the only eatable food you can get there.

I Would Rather Go Hungry Than Eat Filipino Street Food Again! http://etramping.com/rather-go-hungry-eat-filipino-food-again/

And your fine food, women and gambling? cheesy.gif cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Sorry, to all others for being off topic.

I hope the little kiddie gangsters will surround you and make your holiday a few days shorter. Enjoy your stay and the recycled chicken legs from Thailand.

What a vicious posting. I'm surprised it escaped the moderation of the forum. To make things simple, let me make a few short, clear, and concise replies to your outrageous statements:

I never indicated where I was from and certainly never said I was "better" than anyone.

I said they "can hire someone else" in all seriousness. If they have better people by all means, hire them. Is that so difficult to grasp?

Not attempting to say I'm "cool" again, never said anything about picking any job I wanted. All your imagination gone astray.

Philippine "darlings" means ladies who aren't hardened by the drug and tattoo culture so entrenched in many Thai ladies. Women who are marriage minded and understanding, compassionate and interested in relationships, not just a quick Baht. As for your personal attack, no comment. Readers can determine your attitude by same. Resorting to such childlike attacks is beneath most.

Chicken leg fat and rice is the norm at most canteens in Government schools in Thailand. Several teachers take advantage of this "filling" entree as either free or very inexpensive. It's often disguised as various things but at the end of the spoon, nothing but chicken leg fat/skin.

I won't be in areas with the child gangs which surround you and pick your pockets clean.

Happy Holidays.

One inflammatory post has been removed. More should have been, but since it has been stated and responded to, I will leave it as is. Continued nasty, inflammatory remarks will earn suspensions.

Archived