Can you be denied entry to Thailand if....?

Right here's the sanario, I have a friend coming to Thailand next week, he's coming over fora little over 2 months. He's has been here before but all he done was sit in a girly bar for a month in Koh Samui. I sent him a text asking him if has he got a visa sorted as he will be saying over 60 days, his reply was "do they not still give them out on the plane?" Honestly thought I'm not going to bother!

Here's the question, can he be refused entry with no visa and return ticket exceeding 60days? I'm thinking he might not even get on the flight at home at check in. I aways come over on a one way ticket and the staff at check in always check my visa.

Will they let him in?

Edited by MickeyMaow

Here's the question, can he be refused entry with no visa and return ticket exceeding 60days?

No because not having an onward ticket is not a lawful reason for denying entry.

• Immigration at the airport don't usually want to see an onward/return ticket.
  • The airline might deny boarding without an onward ticket dated within 30 days of arrival.
  • He needs a visa or he could buy a cheap onward ticket to anywhere.
  • Like 2

Yes that's what I thought, the main risk being getting on board at home. He's not flying from the US.

If he does get in will he have to fly out and back in for another 30days? No more 15days visa runs, is that correct?

depends on nationality about how many days he is given, he could go for a border run no need to fly

• Like 1

Yes that's what I thought, the main risk being getting on board at home. He's not flying from the US.

If he does get in will he have to fly out and back in for another 30days? No more 15days visa runs, is that correct?

No. If he qualifies for tourist visa exempt entry (30 days) he can extend that by another 30 days at an immigration office for 1,900 baht.

p.s. If he gets a tourist visa before traveling he won't have a problem flying or entering and will be granted 60 days on entry. That will cover his trip and he won't need to take time out at an immigration office getting an extension. Although that 60 day entry can also be extended by 30 days if required.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

Tell him to go online and get a AirAsia ticket to Myanmar or Penamg about 3 weeks after he enters Thailand. Cost about a hundred dollars and will save him a bunch of trouble.

Edited by Rob13
  • Like 1

Tell him to go online and get a AirAsia ticket to Myanmar or Penamg about 3 weeks after he enters Thailand. Cost about a hundred dollars and will save him a bunch of trouble.

Oneway Phuket - Kuala Lumpur down to 1190 Baht on weekdays.

Inkl. payment about 1250 Baht (35 USD).

• Like 1

If he makes no provision before reaching the airport, but is affluent and looks it, he can probably talk his way through check in. He should assure the supervisor that he is sure he will have no problems, and ask for a form guaranteeing to indemnify the airline against any costs they incur should he be denied entry. This has worked for me several times in the past, but it is up to the airline supervisor.

• Like 1

If he makes no provision before reaching the airport, but is affluent and looks it, he can probably talk his way through check in. He should assure the supervisor that he is sure he will have no problems, and ask for a form guaranteeing to indemnify the airline against any costs they incur should he be denied entry. This has worked for me several times in the past, but it is up to the airline supervisor.

He's neither affluent looking or probably confident enough to blag his way if they pull him on it. Seriously he's not even aware of this problem yet, he thought he'd get a visa on the plane and all he had to do is drop his bags and go sit in a bar for 2 months. I Actually think him having this problem might do him the world of good having to solve it over here, it will force him out of his comfort zone. It will be an experience for him and he'll be wiser after it.

• Like 2

"do they not still give them out on the plane?"

They never gave them out on the plane. He would get a 30 day visa exempt entry (i.e. no visa, but a 30 day permission to stay) when he presented his passport at airport immigrations check in, and that could be extended for 30 days at an immigration office.

Doubtful he'd encountered problems with passing through immigrations assuming he hasn't been doing this repeatedly back to back and/or he doesn't appear to be too scruffy. As long as he has a return air ticket he shouldn't have a problem with the airlines. Their concern is self-serving since, if he were to be refused entry, he would need to fly out again and they could be held responsible for the airfare if he couldn't pay. Having already paid for a return ticket they'd be off the hook for footing the bill.

• Like 1

I'm a little confused by some of the responses here (or maybe something's changed that I'm not aware of?). I've flown into Thailand at least 30 times (average of once a year for over 30 years) without a visa and the Thai immigration authorities have never seemed remotely interested in, nor asked for any evidence of, return or onward travel, availability of funds etc. Assuming the person being referred to is of a nationality eligible for a visa exempt entry and has not previously abused the system (of which I see no mention in the OP), why would Thai immigration give him any grief?

It is admittedly two years now since I got my last visa exempt entry so that's why I'm wondering if something has changed in the intervening period.

Nothing in that regard has changed in the last 2 years.... It has always been the case that airlines regularly check for a return flight within 30 days of arrival unless you had a visa in your passport.

Edited by DUS
  • Like 1

Him just need to tell the immigration that him want to visit Laos after 3-4 weeks and later come back to BKK for fly home. Nobody proof it. After 4 weeks him go to the immigration and ask for a extension.

• Like 1

Most airlines that fly international routes are required to follow IATA rules.

IATA requires that an airline that flies a passenger to a country where he or she is not allowed to enter MAY be required to remove that passenger from the country that will not accept that passenger.

Which means thatthe airline that brought you COULD POSSIBLY be required to pay for removing you from That country that will not accept your entry.

That is why the AIRLINE that brings you may want you to show an onward ticket, OR a valid visa, OR sign a statement that if you are not accepted the airline is not at required to remove you from the country that will not accept you.

That is why people without a visa or an onward ticket, at the choice of the airline, you may not be allowed to board a flight to an international destination without either a visa or such a declaration.

It doesn't happen often....but the airlineis within it's rights to not allow you to fly unless you meet the IATA requirements.

Some airlines don't enforce the rules strictly, some do.

For most people that have a problem, it is not Thai immigration, but the airline that causes them a problem.

• Like 2

He can buy a cheap flight on AirAsia from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur for around 1000-2000 Baht and problem solved.

A friend of mine just came to Thailand a few days ago from Belgium without a visa.

Edited by MobileContent

I fly in and out about 10 times per year.Boarding the aircraft is the problem.

These airlines wouldnt let me board unless I had a ticket to leave thailand or a work visa

JAL

ANA

Korean.

These ones dont give a rats ass

Suprisingly THAI

Air Asia

Vietnamese airlines

Jetairways

KLM

China southern.

Like the above poster said just get a super cheap flight on airasia and go to Cambodia,KL or somewhere for a couple of days.You/he will need to show it at the check in counter when he boards to Thailand

I would be interested to know if an Airline can reasonably question a return ticket back from Thailand (no Visa) within 31 to 60 days. Could they bar you from boarding if you had a return ticket say after 59 days as this period can be covered legitimately with Visa exempt and extension.

I would be interested to know if an Airline can reasonably question a return ticket back from Thailand (no Visa) within 31 to 60 days. Could they bar you from boarding if you had a return ticket say after 59 days as this period can be covered legitimately with Visa exempt and extension.

Airlines can pretty much do what they want. They own the planes. The problem being is that if you get confrontational with them, its pretty much a foregone conclusion that they will deny you boarding anyway. That's the last thing you want as I believe you then go on a list across all airlines that you was denied boarding and the reason why.

• Like 1

I'm a little confused (or maybe something's changed that I'm not aware of?). I've flown into Thailand at least 30 times (average of once a year for over 30 years) without a visa and the Thai immigration authorities have never seemed remotely interested in, nor asked for any evidence of, return or onward travel, availability of funds etc. Assuming the person being referred to is of a nationality eligible for a visa exempt entry and has not previously abused the system (of which I see no mention in the OP), why would Thai immigration give him any grief?

It is admittedly two years now since I got my last visa exempt entry so that's why I'm wondering if something has changed in the intervening period.

Yeah! It was exactly the same for me. Never had a problem boarding or getting a 30 day exempt without being asked for an onward flight. So indeed, has something changed?

How is that answer remotely helpful in any way?

I just answered what you was asking. Sorry if it isn't what you wanted to hear. I have no idea what else I could of said regarding your question?

• Like 2