Can you be denied entry to Thailand if....?

Good luck in getting a concrete answer to that one, i have already tried in this thread. I guess theoretically you could be turned down for a 30 day extension but others on here will know better. I had a plan to do the same as you with a return ticket 60 days ahead but although i think my chances of getting away with it were high i eventually decided against the risk. Be good to hear from anyone with direct experience of your predicament

rogeroc ....

Actually, what we want to do is make one of those 'Visa Runs' that they advertise in Pattaya. I guess they take you by van to the closest border crossing. You then get a new 30-day Visa Exempt Entry stamp.

So ... 30 days on the initial Visa Exempt Entry stamp + 30 day extension + 30 days on the new Visa Exempt Entry stamp = 90 days total

If I'm not wrong you need to fly out and back to get a visa exempt for 30 days, or you get 15 days visa exempt with a border run, but I think it depends on what country you are coming from... Thera are several people here that know this for sure.

If I'm not wrong you need to fly out and back to get a visa exempt for 30 days, or you get 15 days visa exempt with a border run, but I think it depends on what country you are coming from... Thera are several people here that know this for sure.

Thanks ...

Maybe one of the folks that know more about these 'Visa Runs' to border crossings for US citizens traveling to Thailand on the Visa Exempt stamp status can update me.

Edited by Turbota

If you are from a G7 country you get 30 days at land borders.

Good luck in getting a concrete answer to that one, i have already tried in this thread. I guess theoretically you could be turned down for a 30 day extension but others on here will know better. I had a plan to do the same as you with a return ticket 60 days ahead but although i think my chances of getting away with it were high i eventually decided against the risk. Be good to hear from anyone with direct experience of your predicament

Someone would only get denied an extension of stay if they couldn't provide the requested documents. As it stands no one is getting denied due to the number of previous entries/extensions.

• Like 1

Hi,

I am entering Thailand on a visa on arrival for 15 days. But my tickets are on the 16th day early morning at 2 am. If I cross the immigration point on the 15th day but fly out on the 16 th day, will I be granted the visa on arrival or will they charge some fine? Can anybody help me with this info??

Hi,

I am entering Thailand on a visa on arrival for 15 days. But my tickets are on the 16th day early morning at 2 am. If I cross the immigration point on the 15th day but fly out on the 16 th day, will I be granted the visa on arrival or will they charge some fine? Can anybody help me with this info??

You have a reply from me here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/930088-round-trip-onward-ticket-upon-entry-into-thailand-question/?p=10937955#entry10937955

Please do not post the same question in multiple topics.

I was one time refused to boarding from Taiwan to Bangkok. I had to sign a letter and show a credit card, that I can pay myself for the flight back. So at the end was no problem.

At Immigration I think they never care about having a ticket back, because till now I never showed the return ticket to immigration.

So unless I'm misreading the responses, all the people who were refused boarding, did not have a return ticket. The person being discussed here, has a return ticket (albeit for 60 days after his arrival). So I guess the question then becomes, has anyone ever been refused boarding when holding a return ticket, even though it exceeded 30 days?

I have to say that I have flown into Thailand on a couple of occasions in the past without a visa and with a return ticket date exceeding 30 days (though only by a couple of days). The different airlines concerned did not seem bothered.

I understand that an airline could still theoretically refuse boarding under these circumstances but is it likely?

Edit: I just reread the OP and noticed it says he's staying "a little over 2 months." So depending on how much more than 60 days he's staying, that could have a bearing.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1

we keep hearing these stories that someone MAY possibly be refuse boarding on a plane .

But just how often has anyone been refused entry to Thailand on a visa exempt entry ???? UNLESS they have too many back to back visa exempt stamps already.

Obviously it is best to obtain a tourist visa in your home country, but for the first time traveller to Thailand I feel that all this " refuse boarding" talk is just scaremongering.

It is not scaremongering. My experience maybe a little out of date but I have been told at checkin from North America on several occasions that they notice I have no return ticket and that without a ticket they will NOT allow you to board (30 day visa waiver requirements get displayed on their screen). I usually just have to point to a visa or in the other case give them airline confirmation from another airline of further plans. I do vaguely remember the onward travel was because my return ticket was not within 30 days - the return ticket was dated more than 30 days in the future.

Once you arrive at Thailand with no real history to speak of.... they are extremely unlikely to ask for anything more than passport and check it against interpol listings and then stamp entry. The only case they might require more is if you actually look indigent or very doggy (or have a tattoo which is taboo).

Editted because my memory is slowly coming back - it has been 3 years since my last cross the ocean trip.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 1

Airline check in desks do not determine Thailand immigration policy.

However they seem to try to enforce their interpretation of a policy that for many is un-necessary.

Advise a supervisor at the check in counter that you WILL obtain a visa exempt entry that allows you to stay in Thailand for 30 days. You may ( or may not ) apply for an extension to this at an immigration office .

You may ( or may not) travel overland to a nearby country.......you may ( or may not ) return to Thailand ( either overland or by air) and again obtain a visa exempt entry.

You do not currently know what date you intend to return " home"......and plan to purchase that ticket at a later date.

Now of course for many airlines it is usually cheaper to purchase a return ticket rather than 2 x one way tickets ....but if money is not an issue to you - why should it be for the check in staff.

Airline check in desks do not determine Thailand immigration policy.

However they seem to try to enforce their interpretation of a policy that for many is un-necessary.

Advise a supervisor at the check in counter that you WILL obtain a visa exempt entry that allows you to stay in Thailand for 30 days. You may ( or may not ) apply for an extension to this at an immigration office .

You may ( or may not) travel overland to a nearby country.......you may ( or may not ) return to Thailand ( either overland or by air) and again obtain a visa exempt entry.

You do not currently know what date you intend to return " home"......and plan to purchase that ticket at a later date.

Now of course for many airlines it is usually cheaper to purchase a return ticket rather than 2 x one way tickets ....but if money is not an issue to you - why should it be for the check in staff.

They don't determined Thai immigration policy but they are informed. If you have NO visa then they will rely on the visa waiver requirements. If an airline does not do the basic checking and you are rejected entry by Thai Immigration you will be placed on the next flight back on the same airline at the airlines expense. If all seats are booked - they have to bump someone at their cost. If your date is not set, the airline may require you to book an "open" ticket (which because it is completely open costs more than most).

Basically, the airline is doing as directed by Thai immigration.... The same reason someone on overstay in Thailand will be rejected boarding to Laos - because Laos immigration has informed them.

It is not the airline doing the immigrations job for them but doing what is required of them by the immigration at arrival. Failure to do so -- and the airline is liable.

• Like 1

Thought i would take a look at the detailed terms and conditions on my latest ticket to BKK (the carrier is Eurowing part of Lufthansa).

13.1 Travel Documents

13.1.1 You are responsible for acquiring all of the necessary travel documents and respecting all applicable laws, regulations, orders, directives and travel requirements of the countries in to which, from which and through which you are travelling.

13.1.2 Before the start of your journey you must submit all exit, entry, health and other documents, which are required by the country concerned by way of its laws, regulations, orders, demands or other requirements, and you must allow us to make and keep photocopies of these documents. We reserve the right to deny carriage to you if you do not meet these requirements or your travel documents do not appear to us to be in order.

13.2 Responsibility for fines, detention costs, etc

13.2.1 If we are required to pay a fine or to pay detention costs, or other expenditure on account of your failure to respect or abide by the laws, regulations, orders, directives or other travel requirements of the countries concerned, or your failure to produce the necessary documentation, you are obliged to reimburse us on demand any expenses incurred by us. We may use the value of the unused portion of your ticket or your property which is in our custody as part settlement of this payment.

13.2.2 If you are refused entry into a country, you are responsible for paying us for the cost of carrying you out of that country. The price payable for carriage to the place where entry was refused or denied will not be refunded by us.

My reading of the above is that to be 100 per cent safe you really do need a flight ticket out of Thailand within 30 days. Interesting though that clause 13.2.2 also offloads the airline's responsibility topay for you getting home.