Cancelling old visa/work permit when starting a new job

Hello all,

I will be starting a new job in Chiang Mai next month and finishing up at my current job in Bangkok in two weeks time.

Last time I changed jobs, I recall having to travel back to my old workplace to get a cessation of work letter and cancel the visa (and work permit perhaps) within the province that I used to work before I could start the non-immigrant B process for the new job.

As I do not want to repeat that process this time around, I was wondering if anyone can provide some details on whether this process is necessary, what to say exactly in the cessation letter and what needs to be provided at immigration to properly cancel the visa/work permit before applying for a new non-imm B visa.

Thank you,

Chris

You will need to cancel your work permit. You can do it yourself or allow your employer to do it.

You will need a letter from your current employer stating the date your job ends to cancel your extension. You could go to immigration a few days before that date and they will post date the cancellation to that date so you would have time to leave the country.

• Like 1

You will need to cancel your work permit. You can do it yourself or allow your employer to do it.

You will need a letter from your current employer stating the date your job ends to cancel your extension. You could go to immigration a few days before that date and they will post date the cancellation to that date so you would have time to leave the country.

Thanks for this.

So, whatever date is in the letter from my employer as my last day of work, I need to leave the country on that same day?

Or, is it right after immigration cancels the work permit and visa? (presumably they would do this from the day listed as my final day of work).

If you had a visa from an embassy or consulate it would not be canceled.

The extension cancellation is done at the immigration office where is was issued and the work permit is canceled at the local Labor Ministry work permit office.

The extension cancellation is done at the immigration office where is was issued and the work permit is canceled at the local Labor Ministry work permit office.

... and to be clear, if you have a visa as opposed to an extension that is great. It really simplifies things.

Thanks again for clarifying.

Once the extension cancellation has taken place, presumably on the last day of my current job, must I leave the country on that same day or is there some kind of grace period in which to travel and gather documents to apply for a new non-imm B?

Once the extension cancellation has taken place, presumably on the last day of my current job, must I leave the country on that same day or is there some kind of grace period in which to travel and gather documents to apply for a new non-imm B?

There is no grace period to leave. If you go on the date that is your last day of work you would have to leave on that day or apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave the country.

As I wrote before you can go to immigration a few days before your last day of work shown on the letter and they will post date the cancellation to that date,

There is no grace period to leave. If you go on the date that is your last day of work you would have to leave on that day or apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave the country.

As I wrote before you can go to immigration a few days before your last day of work shown on the letter and they will post date the cancellation to that date,

I appreciate the time you have taken to explain this. You have been very helpful.

My experience of cancelling my work,permit and visa extension :

My last day of work was 8th June 2016 according to the letter issued by my school. I went to cancel my work permit on 1st June. The lady cancelled my work permit and after putting a stamp and signature gave me a copy of the cancellation form that I submitted. She asked me to go to immigration right away and warned that I could be fined if I did not go to the immigration the same day.

I went to the immigration right away and the officer put new stamps cancelling the old visa which was still valid until September 2016 and put a new date saying My new extension expires on 8th June.

She said I could continue to be in thailand upto that date i.e. 8th June.