British resident of Bangkok crowned Senior Scrabble champion

webfact

British resident of Bangkok crowned Senior Scrabble champion

scrab.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A long term resident of Bangkok was crowned senior Scrabble champion at an international Scrabble championships that were played in the capital at the weekend.

The 31st Brand's King's Cup attracted elite participants from 16 countries who played 29 games of the world's favourite board game over four days. Gerry Carter, originally from London,who lives in Rachayothin, took the senior prize for participants aged 55 and over. The thirty year veteran of Bangkok was eleventh in the main event.

Emerging the overall winner at the Central Westgate shopping complex was Nigel Richards of New Zealand who is widely regarded as the greatest Scrabble player of all time. He beat local player Pichai Limprasert in the three game final in front of a huge crowd of curious shoppers. Five other Thai players made the top ten including former world champion Panupol Sajjayakorn who was fourth. The game is played using English vocabulary with top players possessing knowledge well in excess of 100,000 words.

Bangkok has been named on websites as the foremost city in the world for professional Scrabble play with many top players and high profile events held in the city.

ff.jpg
Final rounds between Nigel Richards of NZ and Pichai Limprasert of Thailand

Some 7,000 Thai schoolchildren competing in student divisions played English Scrabble, called crossword game in Thailand, Sudoku and maths equations games in the vast shopping centre. The King's Cup is the largest and most iconic Scrabble tournament in the world. Saturday's opening ceremony was presided over by a princess from the Thai Royal Family and sports and tourist minister Khun Kobkarn presented the prizes on Sunday.

She witnessed the final round saying that Scrabble was "very exciting" and "superbly promoted" in the kingdom by the Thai Crossword Game Association.

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-04

5 Thai players in the top 10 of a "world" ?? scrabble competition, I'm lost for words...coffee1.gif

It says nothing about 5 Thai players being in the top 10 of world and this is a " local" competition anyway

The Scrabble offical world Champion is a Nigerian, although a Thai has actually won this competition

Edited by Bunnychow

Bangkok has been named on websites as the foremost city in the world for professional Scrabble play

Sure, the country that ranks last in the world for their English proficiency is the most advanced city in the world for an English language game.

Don't they ever stop making these silly announcements?

Oh wait, soon someone will post that I look down on the Thais, and that they are actually first in English proficiency.

Bangkok has been named on websites as the foremost city in the world for professional Scrabble play

Sure, the country that ranks last in the world for their English proficiency is the most advanced city in the world for an English language game.

Oh wait, soon someone will post that I look down on the Thais, and that they are actually first in English proficiency.

Who said scrabble has to be in English ?...believe the French Scrabble champion cant even speak french and he is a kiwi, further thai nationals have won the world Scrabble championships on 2 ocassions in English in 2009 and 2003

But lets not let the facts get in the way of good Thai bash eh...now given your first lanuage is English how many world championships have you won ?...

Edited by Bunnychow

Who said scrabble has to be in English ?...believe the French Scrabble champion cant even speak french and he is a kiwi, further thai nationals have won the world Scrabble championships on 2 ocassions in English in 2009 and 2003

But lets not let the facts get in the way of good Thai bash eh...now given your first lanuage is English how many world championships have you won ?...

That didn't take long.

To answer your first question

The game is played using English vocabulary with top players possessing knowledge well in excess of 100,000 words.

And to answer your second question, English isn't my first language, and I never took part in these championships.

But did you notice that an organization, that claims to be the foremost in the world in an English language game, isn't even capable of spelling a simple English word correctly on their award?

Why so many snide posts?

I've been involved in scrabble tournaments here and Thai players spend months or years beforehand memorising every word in the official Scrabble Dictionary, including variations of that word. That's why they win. Some of the players are from International schools and highly proficient in English.

Sponsored by company that convinces Thais that some "essence of chicken" will make them smarter.... haha. How many genius chickens are there? Congrats, however looks like he had maybe 5-10 cups of coffee too many

I tried to enrol for this competition but was unable to get a Work Permit. I was also warned off by a friendly bridge player.

pize
/paɪz/
verb
(transitive) ( Yorkshire, dialect) to strike (someone a blow)
So watch out for the winner, he's handy with his fists......

"Sports and Tourist minister Khun Kobkarn presented the prizes on Sunday. She witnessed the final round saying that Scrabble was "very exciting" ".

Scrabble very exciting to watch?

I suppose it is, when compared to the nightly propaganda telecasts every evening.

5 Thai players in the top 10 of a "world" ?? scrabble competition, I'm lost for words...coffee1.gif

Ya, I now what you mean. There's no way in the world I am convinced that half of the best Scrabble players in the world come from this particular part of the world.

You actually mean you are at a "at a loss for words", don't you, not lost for words.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Well you wouldn't think any thais would know enough English to compete. If in fact the game was in English

You dont need to know English to compete...the french language champion of scrabble cant speak french he is a kiwi, you need a good memory to play scrabble not the ability to speak the language