My Workpermit Woes

Don't know if this is in the right place or not. If it's the wrong forum, feel free to move it. Thanks, mods :D

So, I'm on my 3rd work permit renewal (yearly renewal). The situation's a bit funny, so maybe I'll give an abridged background.

I have a part time job at a very good school. I pay for my own work permit. I use my marriage visa (non imm O) to get my work permit instead of getting a B visa because I don't want my permit to stay in this country tied to a job if I can tie it to my family (married to a Thai). So my work permit expires along with my visa. Off I go to get my extension. And those of you on non imm O visas (is anyone???) know that the extension is given in 3 monthly stamps and then one 9 month stamp. This has never affected my work permit. Someone in the office just takes it to the labour office once a month for those three months after I get my stamp. And i have to pay an extra 150 baht or something like that.

Okay, fast forward to today...

I get a bill in my mailbox at school for 850 baht. I go and ask what it's for. The ever wise knowledgeable and fantastically competent office guy :D says that I'll have to pay 850 baht per month for 3 months and then an extra 3500 baht when my 9 month stamp comes through.

my reactions.... :D:D:D:o

ummm....no.....not paying 6000 baht fora work permit.

Anyway, headmaster is now on the case for me. But, thought I'd check here and see if anyone else has had their work permit tied to their marriage visa and then what their experience was when extending for that funny 3 month limbo period before the real stamp comes through.

Any advice, experience, web sites to check out is very much appreciated.

Cheers,

tt

Fees are valid from September 18, 2002

• A new work permit valid up to three months costs 750 baht.

• A new work permit valid up to six months cost 1,500 baht.

• A new work permit valid up to one year costs 3,000 baht.

• A work permit valid for longer than one year costs 3,000 baht plus the amount for the period exceeding one year.

• To renew or extend a work permit for up to three months costs 750 baht.

• To renew or extend a work permit for up to six months costs 1,500 baht.

• To renew or extend a work permit for up to one year costs 3,000 baht.

• To renew or extend a work permit for longer than one year costs 3,000 baht plus the amount for the period exceeding one year.

• A letter stipulating full details of a work permit costs 150 baht.

• To register change of type of work costs 150 baht.

• To register change of place of work costs 150 baht.

Source: http://www.thaivisa.com/291.0.html

I can't help you much, but where I work we have at least one person on a non-immigrant O. He decided to go for the WP, but to make a long story short (difficulty in getting a teacher's license etc.), he has decided not to.

Unfortunately, our officials didn't get one when he first started. I don't know if you would feel comfortable with it, but you might want to drop the entire WP thing.

Georges' post is correct. In my case I get the full 1-year extension and 1-year stamp for my work permit in one day (cost 3000 + 100 and 1900 for the visa extension). Guess your case, being married to Thai national, requires the 3 waiting for approval stamps. So it is 750+100 3 times, however the 9 months should be 3000 + 100. Having said that they use a convulated method to calculate the time comparing your NON-O stamp to the issue date of the work permit so maybe where the extra 400 is coming from (though it should be a multiple of 750).

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Not having a work permit is out of the question. Firstly, I'm at an international school and they generally follow the rules. Secondly, my entire life is in this country and the risk of working without a work permit is really not one I'm willing to take.

The thing is, this is my 3rd extension of work permit and 4th of visa. Why, the first two times, was I not charged for the 3 months waiting for the visa approval? I have only ever paid the 1 year work permit and the application fee. And my work permits have all been issued to work at the same school. Would a letter from immigration help?

I can't figure out why this year is such a hassle. (where's the pulling hair out smilie?) Don't mean to sound like I'm whining - I just don't get it. Same job, same visa, same time of year, same regulations...different price.

I'll get to the bottom of it yet....

Cheers,

tt