"Don't use a mobile phone while charging" warning as man found dead

webfact

1.5v DC is dangerous to what?

all depending of the currents and other conditions.

melting of aluminium occurs at low voltage e.g. 2 to 4 V with high amperage.

electricity is common called the silent killer

you not see

not smell

not hear

till t is tool late

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To be electricuted (the heart is stopped by external current running through it), you need a difference of potential that runs across the heart.

About 1/20th of an amp is all thats required for a second, to kill you.

Lying on an insulated mattress (assuming no metal springs) with a faulty charger, allowing 240volts to reach the phone will not provide the electricity return path.

The return path is usually the ground.

The Autopsy should provide the actual cause.

To be electricuted (the heart is stopped by external current running through it), you need a difference of potential that runs across the heart.

Lying on an insulated mattress (assuming no metal springs) with a faulty charger, allowing 240volts to reach the phone will not provide the electricity return path.

In principle I agree with you. No potential difference no current flow

I'm no "Engineering expert", nor do i know anything about electrical engineering, but common sense tells me:

If the transformer in the charger gets fried or is not assembled properly, the 220v coming from the socket can then travel through the cord into the phone causing a surge.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Yes you are wrong. The charger you get with a phone gives a 5VDC output. The incomer to the charger is mains voltage but not on the output.

You should get on Youtube and check out bigclivedotcom. He'll show you some dodgy chinese goods that can give you the full mains voltage due to poor seperation of components.

Two engineering experts wink.png

Never knew they had Engineers here let alone Engineering Experts

If your Thai and own a screw driver your automatically upgraded to a technician. From there its an easy transit to engineer

Being a Thai engineer does not qualify you as an Engineer

I'm no "Engineering expert", nor do i know anything about electrical engineering, but common sense tells me:

If the transformer in the charger gets fried or is not assembled properly, the 220v coming from the socket can then travel through the cord into the phone causing a surge.

Yes you are wrong. The charger you get with a phone gives a 5VDC output. The incomer to the charger is mains voltage but not on the output.

Why is he Wrong? He said,,,If the thing is Fried,,,Than it could be possible for the Mains power to jump(fried together) to the outlet side and fry you and /or you're Phone,, Right Sherlock,,?

You should get on Youtube and check out bigclivedotcom. He'll show you some dodgy chinese goods that can give you the full mains voltage due to poor seperation of components.

I am sure there are on Youtube but I have seen enough over the years to know never to buy Chinese goods

Not only has Thailand Electrical Engineering experts but, this blog is loaded with experts that know everything about electronics and electrical engineering. This amaze me the most how everyone can give his expert advice about everything in life. Never to old to learn somthing "new" that I never knew about, in my 40 odd years of Electrical & Mechanical Engineering.

Were have you learn this crap that you are talking about. Go read here:- http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2015/02/what_electricity_does_to_your_body.html

Edited by Rough Rider

One of the posters above recommended bigclivedotcom om youtube. I second that recommendation.

It is very difficult to avoid Chinese manufactured phone chargers. Many of the reputable manufacturers will use a Chinese assembled charger. Most of these devices are well designed and manufactured.

The problem lies mainly with the replacement charger market, as there are numerous fakes and bad designs. As "Big Clive" shows, there are 3 common problems:

1. A simplified design, eliminating components to save cost, and resulting in performance or safety issues

2. Cheap components and thin gauge wires, increasing chances of overheating/failures

3. Poor separation of mains wires, terminals and traces from the low voltage side of the circuitry.

Hang on to your OEM chargers if possible. They are usually superior.

As for the probability of dying from an electric shock due to a charger failure, I assume it is unlikely, but possible.

I think he is right.

He said if the transformer got fried. In that case there would be nothing to stop the 220V.

All this talk about "transformer," you might ALL be wrong, a transformer will not regulate 110-220, more likely a switch-mode power supply, no transformer.

Gandalf, please read the post you are replying to. He says IF the xformer goes tits up etc. You are ignoring this.

If the Transformer and diodes in the power pack makes a short, it will trip normally the mains. Normally these chargers are built with a double isolated transformer for safety reasons. If it is a cheap line charger it will be a double winded transformer and will still burnout and not send any electrical current through on the secondary side. So it is impossible to get 220VAC out on the secondary side of the 5VDC charger. To get electrocuted you need to make contact to both sides Live & Neutral or Live & Earth. In Thailand Most electrical installation is a 2 wire system that does not have an Earth. If you only touch the Live wire you will not be electrocuted as the electrical circuit is incomplete. Why do you think that a bird can sit on a high voltage line and not be electrocuted?

I think he is right.

He said if the transformer got fried. In that case there would be nothing to stop the 220V.

All this talk about "transformer," you might ALL be wrong, a transformer will not regulate 110-220, more likely a switch-mode power supply, no transformer.

So please tell us how a power supply is working.

Better advice would be "do not buy aftermarket chargers, especially ones that are

made in china. If you must replace your charger, get an original charger from the

phone manufacturer."

If that is an original manufacturer supplied charger, it is highly unlikely that it would

do any damage, even during lightning. All equipment in the US has to pass UL

certification and in Europe CE certification. Companies like Apple, Samsung, LG

and so on, typically have both UL and CE certification.

I would be more concerned about the extension court on the bed.

Before coming to conclusions, they really need to perform an autopsy. It is always

amazing how the local police can determine the cause of death just by looking at

a victim without any obvious signs.

luudee

unfortunately most phones from original manufacturers are made in china...

catch 22

I think he is right.

These miniature power adaptors for phones would be difficult not impossible to put a switched mode PSU in it. The system used is most likely very basic

Better advice would be "do not buy aftermarket chargers, especially ones that are

made in china. If you must replace your charger, get an original charger from the

phone manufacturer."

If that is an original manufacturer supplied charger, it is highly unlikely that it would

do any damage, even during lightning. All equipment in the US has to pass UL

certification and in Europe CE certification. Companies like Apple, Samsung, LG

and so on, typically have both UL and CE certification.

I would be more concerned about the extension court on the bed.

Before coming to conclusions, they really need to perform an autopsy. It is always

amazing how the local police can determine the cause of death just by looking at

a victim without any obvious signs.

luudee

unfortunately most phones from original manufacturers are made in china...

catch 22

Made in China but under manufacturers supervision.

1.5v DC is dangerous to what?

It's not volts, it's amps that kill you. To wit, one amp would kill you 10 times in a second, were that possible. Or, more practically speaking, it requires only 1/10 of an amp to kill you. Therein lies the rub. Though I am hesitant (to say the least) to buy this story.

You're right It's the Amps that kill you...... not the Volts.

We experimented with electricity in the school lab.... passed around 50,000 volts through about eight of us holding hands... nice little shock, but that's all.

Still here to talk about it.... 5555555 :-)

Yep... its Amps that kill..... not the volts.. I don't know why everyone is big on the voltage causing death.... Hollywood misleading us again with executions by electric chair perhaps.

If I remember correctly... we used a Wimshurst Electrostatic Generator machine.. But we also played around with Van De Graaff Generators.. Lots of fun in the labs... :-)