"Don't use a mobile phone while charging" warning as man found dead

webfact

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is the Battery of My wife's Samsung, while Charging on the floor the back of the Telephone popped of. The battery was laying next to the Telephone and fuming, it was swollen and had doubled in thickness. When my wife touched the telephone is was very hot and she plugged it out. we let it cool down and a few hours later we put a spare battery and it worked.

As far as we know this was a original battery.!

Best regards. Off Road Pat

post-218873-0-99640200-1467886021_thumb.

post-218873-0-84455300-1467886098_thumb.

post-218873-0-44068900-1467886153_thumb.

post-218873-0-63718100-1467886466_thumb.

post-218873-0-75278800-1467886654_thumb.

Edited by off road pat

Well that looks like a failed lithium-ion battery, ie the ones in every cell phone, iPad etc and can fail/catch fire/ 'explode'. One did the other day on a Qantas flight transpac, after the phone got crunched in a seat reclining mechanism....FAs had to extinguish

1.5v DC is dangerous to what?

It's not volts, it's amps that kill you. To wit, one amp would kill you 10 times in a second, were that possible. Or, more practically speaking, it requires only 1/10 of an amp to kill you. Therein lies the rub. Though I am hesitant (to say the least) to buy this story.

You're right It's the Amps that kill you...... not the Volts.

We experimented with electricity in the school lab.... passed around 50,000 volts through about eight of us holding hands... nice little shock, but that's all.

Still here to talk about it.... 5555555 :-)

Yep... its Amps that kill..... not the volts.. I don't know why everyone is big on the voltage causing death.... Hollywood misleading us again with executions by electric chair perhaps.

If I remember correctly... we used a Wimshurst Electrostatic Generator machine.. But we also played around with Van De Graaff Generators.. Lots of fun in the labs... :-)

Yes, you are right 'it's the Amps that kill you'.

https://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~p616/safety/fatal_current.html

Edited by off road pat

This is the Battery of My wife's Samsung, while Charging on the floor the back of the Telephone popped of. The battery was laying next to the Telephone and fuming, it was swollen and had doubled in thickness. When my wife touched the telephone is was very hot and she plugged it out. we let it cool down and a few hours later we put a spare battery and it worked.

As far as we know this was a original battery.!

Best regards. Off Road Pat

The warranty sticker would indicate to me that it was probably purchased separately from the phone.

I live in a country where even company directors can be held responsible for such deaths and charged with "Corporate Manslaughter", are not the leaders of a country that turns a blind eye to exporting fake and dangerous products not guilty of manslaughter too???

In the USA, the importer takes on all the liability for products they import as if they manufactured it themselves. That includes patent infringements as well as product safety liability.

If a defective charger made in China killed someone in China, there's a pretty good chance there would be some legal action, though it probably wouldn't go much further than a similar death in Thailand.

Two engineering experts wink.png

Never knew they had Engineers here let alone Engineering Experts

If your Thai and own a screw driver your automatically upgraded to a technician. From there its an easy transit to engineer

Being a Thai engineer does not qualify you as an Engineer

What a stupid thing to say. My son, who is Thai(half) is an engineer with a Master's from England. Does he qualify in your racial judgement?

Two engineering experts wink.png

Never knew they had Engineers here let alone Engineering Experts

Two things here their "experts" might have missed is Did he use a proper charger or one of the local made ones? Most houses and hotels here do not have an "earth" grounding wire in their electrical wiring. So may be the combination of the two could be at fault ? An expert,,,,, Ex is a has been ,,,,spert is a drip under pressure