Major result for Thai police - arrest of the Philippines' "most wanted" fugitive

webfact

Major result for Thai police - arrest of the Philippines' "most wanted" fugitive

s1am.jpg
Image: tnamcot

BANGKOK: Thai police have arrested a man described as the most wanted fugitive in the Philippines. The man was hiding in Thailand teaching English.

Patrick Alemania, 41, was wanted for a well known kidnap case that happened in the Philippines in 2004, reported tnamcot. He was the head of a gang that kidnapped a businessman who was the owner of the country's largest supplier of pet food. The kidnapped man escaped but five other gang members were arrested and given life sentences.

Alemania escaped and now has been found living and working in the Rom Klao area of Bangkok in the area of the Suvarnabhumi airport. He was working as an English teacher at a language institute and was also employed as a singer.

He told police that he chose Thailand because Thais and Filipinos look similar and he would blend in. He was grassed up by a fellow countryman.

The arrest was a joint operation by Thai police working with international counterparts, Rom Klao officers and tourist and immigration authorities.

In a video conference call Wednesday the Filipino authorities contacted the deputy national police chief Wuthi Liptapanlop to thank the Thai poliuce for capturing their most wanted fugitive.

Alemania's visa has been cancelled and the Philippine Embassy has cancelled his passport as he is prepared for deportation to his homeland.

He will be the first person deported from Thailand to the Philippines since the election of new president Rodrigo Duterte who is known as "the punisher".

Source: tnamcot

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-07

Does this mean all Filipinas teaching English are criminals? I know many expats think 'farangs' teaching English are.

Just goes to show how easy it is to teach English here if you're a certain kind of person. If you're white or Filipina, it's just assumed you can teach English.

Does this mean all Filipinas teaching English are criminals? I know many expats think 'farangs' teaching English are.

Just goes to show how easy it is to teach English here if you're a certain kind of person. If you're white or Filipina, it's just assumed you can teach English.

No, it means that this fellow is a criminal. He was working in a language institute which is rather different to teaching in a school.

That many expats think that "farangs" teaching English are criminals is quite possibly because their view of "teaching" is somewhat influenced by the costumes worn by the girls in the bars which they frequent .

Incidentally, given the level of crime and violence in The Philippines, that someone involved in a failed kidnapping is their most wanted fugitive seems to set the bar rather low!

Edited by JAG

Don't know why it's a major result for Thai police as he was grassed up by a fellow countryman or former mate.

They would never have found him after being here and settling in for 12 years.

The 'grassing' is a well-played out sport here it seems.

I've attempted to translate this post a few times, but have given up!

The word is Filipino as it is a man. Filipina is the feminine. Just thought I would point out the difference

Patrick Alemania, 41, was wanted for a well known kidnap case that happened in the Philippines in 2004

Alemania's visa has been cancelled and the Philippine Embassy has cancelled his passport as he is prepared for deportation to his homeland.

Ii takes the Philippine Government 12 years to cancel the passport of their "Most Wanted" fugitive. Must have ben a looong waiting list.

No, it means that this fellow is a criminal. He was working in a language institute which is rather different to teaching in a school.

That many expats think that "farangs" teaching English are criminals is quite possibly because their view of "teaching" is somewhat influenced by the costumes worn by the girls in the bars which they frequent .

Incidentally, given the level of crime and violence in The Philippines, that someone involved in a failed kidnapping is their most wanted fugitive seems to set the bar rather low!

You've lost me. My first comment was a knock on people's jaded views of English teachers here. Ergo, he teaches English so he's up to no good. Call it sarcasm.

He's a teacher, right? How does this dynamic change because he works in a 'language school'? I said 'criminal' not 'paedophile'.

As for the costumes worn by 'girls in the bar', again, I said 'criminal'. Is the assumption that many foreign teachers here are nonces as well? Do teachers here often frequent bars that have girls dressed as schoolgirls? What about wealthier expats? What do they like? Bike rides on Sundays?

it's very simple. There is a stereotype of 'foreign' teachers here being criminals, pervs, alcoholics, degenerates, etc. Every time a foreign teacher is arrested for something the stereotype is amplified. So, using this twisted logic, does it mean the same can be applied for Filipina teachers? Good for the goose kinda logic.

The comment was merely a satirical comment on other's ignorant views. Said in jest, if you will.

The word is Filipino as it is a man. Filipina is the feminine. Just thought I would point out the difference

You're 100% right. i'll just stick to 'Filipinos' for male and female.

Right on, Gandalf, let,s have no mistakes here :) though I have often wondered why the term was not "philippina" and "philippino", obviously too much free time on my hands :)

Don't know why it's a major result for Thai police as he was grassed up by a fellow countryman or former mate.

Overplayed for publicity I'll bet. He may have been one of the Philippines most wanted but highly unlikely THE most wanted.

Good job he didn't write it in Thaicoffee1.gif

You've lost me. My first comment was a knock on people's jaded views of English teachers here. Ergo, he teaches English so he's up to no good. Call it sarcasm.

He's a teacher, right? How does this dynamic change because he works in a 'language school'? I said 'criminal' not 'paedophile'.

As for the costumes worn by 'girls in the bar', again, I said 'criminal'. Is the assumption that many foreign teachers here are nonces as well? Do teachers here often frequent bars that have girls dressed as schoolgirls? What about wealthier expats? What do they like? Bike rides on Sundays?

I'm not having a pop at you. As you said in post #13, there is a stereotype applied by some to foreign teachers, and I was commenting on that, and the way that it is applied. Not I hasten to add by you.

As for the " language institute ", the requirements and vetting procedures which must be passed to be employed in a school, degree, TEFL certification and police check from home country, (always assuming of course that the school apply them) do not as I understand it apply to "language institutes".

Edited by JAG

I don't think anywhere it says that all Filipinos teaching English are criminals.

What it does say however, albeit to me anyway, is that once again, the vetting process for all foreign teachers currently employed in Thailand leaves a lot to be desired.

You would think that by now the authorities would have a system in place, regardless if it is for a top-tier university or a side-soi language school, a procedure to weed out these type of people. Stories like this cause so much untold damage to an already suspect image for Thais internationally.

For clarity, not a dig in anyway against teachers, just a dig about control...........................wink.png

Thai police - arrest of the Philippines' "most wanted" fugitive-----OP

Wow all they have to do now is go to Dubai & arrest Thailand's most wanted fugitive......what a great week that will be for them..............coffee1.gif

A bit odd,

The Filipinos have cancelled his passport and the Thais his visa. This usually means they were both valid and active.

That's OK, but a Philippines passport is valid for 5 years and he has been in Thailand 12 years which means he has sought renewal from the Philippines Embassy at the very least on two occasions. The Philippines doesn't have ID cards to my knowledge, so the passport doubles up as ID.

Somebody therefore has not been doing their ' job ' if he was a ' most wanted fugitive ' to allow him to renew his passport twice. Unless, they have no cross checks regarding fugitives at the Philippines Embassy when he applied for renewal.

It doesn't state he changed his name or anything in the story.

Edited by Scouse123

the sad part of this story is Thai people are going to tar with the same brush all foreign teachers specially Filipinos.

That's exactly what westerners or farangs spend their time doing here about Thais, Nigerians, arabs, Chinese etc.... Better look in the mirror from time to time

Edited by Petchou

Actually this shows how INCOMPETENT the Police are and the stupid immigration system too.

Reporting every so often and he still is now found since what? all those years ago?

this is a total disgusting effort and the Police should be hiding this story not flouting it

it's very simple. There is a stereotype of 'foreign' teachers here being criminals, pervs, alcoholics, degenerates, etc. Every time a foreign teacher is arrested for something the stereotype is amplified. So, using this twisted logic, does it mean the same can be applied for Filipina teachers? Good for the goose kinda logic.

The comment was merely a satirical comment on other's ignorant views. Said in jest, if you will.

But then again sterotypes normally have their foundation in certain "truths" are all teachers paedofiles ? Of course not...but large numbers of paedofiles happen to be teachers

Perhaps he can teach English.

Perhaps he is fully qualified to do so, and only did a bit of violent kidnapping on the side.