Video: Bangkok tuk-tuk and motorcycle in collusion over tourist scam?

rooster59

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, that split second between the thumbs up and the snatching are definitely coordinated... Why is their so much stupidity? Governments should impose IQ tests on the parents before procreation is allowed.

Who was stupid here, the tuk tuk driver with good hand signals and driving skills,the motor bike rider with same skills and pillion with good snatch skills or the victim who left the bag hanging on the left,when it should have been on the right..You need survival skills to survive in the big smoke.

That's not a "tourist scam." It's a straight robbery. The moral of the story should be to always secure valuables when riding in a tuk tuk, not to make up some elaborate scheme between tuk tuk drivers and motorbike thiefs in Bangkok because a driver rolled his wrist. I do that all the time while driving, similar to rolling my neck to loosen it up.

It was a hand signal indicating the tuk tuk was

going to keep going straight to help the

robbery. The robbers would have no idea that

they were being filmed. Lots of people are staring

at their smart phone. But if this case gets

media traction and makes Thailand look bad,

the police will haul in the owner of the motorcycle,

connect him to the electrodes, and he will be

singing the name of the tuk tuk guy in short

order....

Ridiculous to connect the driver rolling his wrist with what looks like an oversized watchband to a signal. It happened almost simultaneously in the realtime video.

Yes, he just adjusted the band with a shaking movement,..I did the same on a daily basis with my watch..

That's going to hurt tourism.

Everything will be fine, next week another tuk-tuk driver will find a wallet with 40,000b in, and return it to a thankful tourist.

Edited by sn1per

I guess you can make a conspiracy out of anything. The tuk tuk driver gave the moto driver the sign to rob the tourist. The motor driver gave his fellow rider the sign that the tuk tuk driver had given him the sign. And because the tuk tuk driver hasn't noticed or reacted within the next two seconds on the clip he knows his sign was noted and he could drop his passenger off knowing he would get his 1/3 share of the money later.

And the whole thing was being filmed. which the tuk tuk driver was aware of and so he could help police with their enquiries therefore saving Thailands image, making him a hero.

Pffff,.....fell asleep.....

Ridiculous to connect the driver rolling his wrist with what looks like an oversized watchband to a signal. It happened almost simultaneously in the realtime video.

You missed it. Look again. You can see he first gives a thumbs up, before he rolls his wrist. Not saying it's clear evidence, but it does look suspicious.

Gave the thumbs up to what ? Do you think he asked his passenger if he was worth mugging or not ?

Its a chancer taking a chance. Oh and dont forget if the passenger who got mugged had been English everyone would have been laughing and said 'he had 13 baht in his bag and its an insurance scam'

In which Thailand are you living? You are still believing the stories about the 'siiiick buffalo' and 'Mama need surgery' and that all Tuk-tuk drivers are friendly and honest? The Thailand the rest of us lives in is very different, wake up and smell the roses.

ahh yes.....keep biting the hand that feeds you...........keep this up and cannibalism(thai v thai)will become the new 'delicacy'....

Forget those lovely village rats so many like.........eat your neighbourthumbsup.gif

Have you stopped taking the medication Nasrullah................??............

We'll see........thais aren't hurting the LOS reputation now,are they!!.....but you go on believing TAT's arrival figures....

there are two issues here.

will such incidences will hurt tourism industry.

sure there will be impact if road snatches rife.

doubtful if an occasional snatch will have such an impact.snatch theft happens anywhere.

it is debatable whether the tuk tuk driver and the snatchers

acted in concert.even though the tuk tuk driver may notice any

item in a vulnerable position in his tuk tuk , the snatcher has to target the

precise spot and the item. to be able to do so the motor driver

and the snatcher have to do their own surveillance. a hand signal

from the tuk tuk driver will not be sufficient information on the target

and the target area.

I doubt it is a coincidence.

It makes perfect sense for the tuk tuk driver and thieves to work together. It happens all the time, with touts and tuk tuk drivers, touts and silk sales men, the list goes on and on.

The hand signals appear to indicate something in my opinion. Thumbs up is not any gesture you see Thais using amongst them selves. or the other 'hand signal'.

Furthermore, if you look the driver brakes at just the right time as the motorcycle is coming in for the hit.

Having said that, why did the tuk tuk driver not see the tourist filming this? Was it not a mobile phone or something obviously filming? This is hard to explain away.

"Furthermore, if you look the driver brakes at just the right time as the motorcycle is coming in for the hit."

What? Now there is a complete Thaivisa poster fabrication. How do you know that the driver brakes? There is no evidence of that and you certainly cannot see the driver's right foot.

Don't need to see his feet, it is very clear in the video at 00:20 that he puts his brakes on. Look at the lights at the top.

Brake.jpg

Thieving Bastards

I've said before and will say again. Best some Thai entrepreneur makes a cast of rich shining gold fake trinkets laden with severe dangerous fish hooks hidden to the naked eye to lure these sick individuals to the bait. This will catch a large proportion of opportunistic robbers and help deter others from the same fate !!!

Entrapment eat your heart out !!!

Just saying ..,.....

Edited by ScotBkk

...I don't doubt it....

...never enough for these blood-sucking savages.....

...what are the options of any foreigner.....

...little...next to none.....

...overstay.....and pay pay pay every which way.......???

What's with the THUMB up, not checking time on his oversize watch and look closer to the eye, body message in the mirror.

I have watched this a 1,000 times, his eyes are looking dead straight, the flick of the wrist proves nothing, as much as I would like to agree they are connected, there is NO evidence that is cut and dry, apart from the driver is Thai and the motorcycle rider and passenger are clearly gone, perhaps the police will make an example of the registered owner that the bike belongs too, be it stolen or not, after all this was a tourist that was robbed and Thailand can't have that, as it has had enough damage to the tourist industry of late.

Edited by 4MyEgo

The driver might not have made an obvious signal but he was pretty freaking calm throughout the whole thing, no reaction at all !!

At that speed rather risky if the tuk Tuk driver was not in on it he may have been so shocked he would have braked or swerved and taken the bike out.

The only place I would ever use a tuk tuk is in the North of Thailand,as in Chiang Mai,Udon Thani,Nong Khai etc.Why would you use one in Bangkok when a metered taxi is cheaper,air-conditioned and far more honest?

You missed it. Look again. You can see he first gives a thumbs up, before he rolls his wrist. Not saying it's clear evidence, but it does look suspicious.

Gave the thumbs up to what ? Do you think he asked his passenger if he was worth mugging or not ?

Its a chancer taking a chance. Oh and dont forget if the passenger who got mugged had been English everyone would have been laughing and said 'he had 13 baht in his bag and its an insurance scam'

What do you mean if they had been English they would have had 13 baht in his bag and it was an insurance scam?

Don't understand your point, please clarify.

The driver might not have made an obvious signal but he was pretty freaking calm throughout the whole thing, no reaction at all !!

Yeh, he was too calm. He surely would have reacted to what happened in some way. Also, as someone mentioned earlier he hit his brakes just as he was rolling his wrist with what looks like a thumbs up. From what I can see of the road ahead there was no reason to be braking at all.

I think it looks very suspicious, not clear evidence but it looks more likely he was involved then not involved to me.

Fell sorry for the passengers, losing passport abroad is not fun, happened to me once in Hong Kong. Loads of aggravation and a lot of time wasting, more of a pain then the money they lost I guess.

Not good for Thailand at all.

The only place I would ever use a tuk tuk is in the North of Thailand,as in Chiang Mai,Udon Thani,Nong Khai etc.Why would you use one in Bangkok when a metered taxi is cheaper,air-conditioned and far more honest?

Becausssse tuktuks get through Bangkok traffic way faster and not as hairy as a bike. And they're FUN. Wish we had them on Fuckit. BTW, never had any problems with them in my 20 years here and of course the driver was simply 'wrist rolling'. So would you if you'd been driving one of these all day, seen it many times. Get a grip. You lot getting as bad/worse than those chinks you're so very keen to round upon.

Edited by dageurreotype

Who puts that much money in one bag? Who puts their passports, papers and so on in the same bag?

Came from a place with no crime?

Lack of education?

They came from Hong Kong, so don't think your assessment is right.

Yeah, that split second between the thumbs up and the snatching are definitely coordinated... Why is their so much stupidity? Governments should impose IQ tests on the parents before procreation is allowed.

Who was stupid here, the tuk tuk driver with good hand signals and driving skills,the motor bike rider with same skills and pillion with good snatch skills or the victim who left the bag hanging on the left,when it should have been on the right..You need survival skills to survive in the big smoke.

The accusers and the people agreeing with them. His little "signal" was so exactly when the bag was grabbed. That bag was going to be grabbed regardless of his "signal".

He's already been cleared of any charges anyways.