One man gored to death in Spanish bull running festival

rooster59

One man gored to death in Spanish bull running festival

post-247607-0-89725000-1468119102_thumb.

A Spaniard died and two other men, including a Japanese, were gored in bull-runs in Spain on Saturday, as the San Fermin festival in the northern town of Pamplona entered its third day.

The 28-year-old died after a bull’s horn pierced his lung and heart during a run in the southeastern village of Pedreguer near Valencia, a spokesman for the regional government said.

The bull caught him as he was trying to help another runner in the annual event, in which a man also died last year.

Animal rights groups such as :The League Against Cruel Sports”:http://www.league.org.uk/our-campaigns/bullfighting/bull-running-festivals abhor the tradition, pointing out that the bulls are frightened with gun shots, electrocuted with cattle prods and kicked and hit by jeering spectators.

Many Spanish towns hold summer festivals involving bulls.

San Fermin, in which bulls chase red-scarved runners through Pamplona’s cobbled streets during nine days of events, is the most famous and attracts thousands of revellers from Spain and overseas.

In Saturday’s run, a 33-year-old Japanese man was gored in the chest and a 24-year-old Spanish man in the arm, while 12 others suffered minor injuries, the local government said on its website.

The Japanese man was in a stable condition in hospital, a spokesman for the festival said.

The four-minute run in Pamplona featured six bulls from the Jose Escolar ranch, one of which separated from the rest and caused panic among the runners.

The daily bull-run along an 825-metre stretch of narrow streets in Pamplona’s old town starts at 8 a.m. (0600 GMT) and usually lasts between three and five minutes. There are eight runs in total during the festival.

Over the past century 15 people have died in Pamplona’s event, which dates back hundreds of years, according to a count on the unofficial San Fermin website. The last death was recorded in 2009.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-07-10

At a bull fight a matador was killed. The bull is to be put down. Talk about a no win situation.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

Hey, at least the bull died fighting.

Good. All spectators and participants and supporters of such events deserve the same fate.

Cannot see anyone disagreeing with that.

Excepted for millions of aficionados in the Hispanic world in Europe, Central and South America coffee1.gif

Good. All spectators and participants and supporters of such events deserve the same fate.

Excepted for millions of aficionados in the Hispanic world in Europe, Central and South America coffee1.gif

For Aficionados read Morons.

For Aficionados read Morons.

So since you said first "Cannot see any one disagreeing with that"

OK, lets say excepted for millions of Morons in the Hispanic world in Europe, Central and South America... but the number of people disagreeing in the same!coffee1.gif

The bull run is okay - I imagine the bulls quite enjoy killing people - but bullfighting is way out of date. There was a time when life was nasty, brutish and short - you couldn't blame them then for treating animals the same way. Not any more. Apart from a few macho maniacs like Hemingway, I reckon the whole world holds the Spanish in contempt for allowing it. I can barely find it in me to treat them as bona fide members of civilisation.

With all the laws and animal welfare standards in Europe these days I can not understand how this is still legal?

BTW the bull is not enjoying killing people... the thing is freaked out and in a panic.. in this nightmare situation, so its just defending itself.

I would never voluntarily be involved in such a risky adventure, but when I was young, we were told to not play in the barn. We always did and to teach us a lesson, my uncle turned the bull lose in the barn. The bull was kept tied up 90% of the time as it wasn't breeding season, so he was full of energy. He wasn't particularly mean bull, but he was a bull and he head great fun chasing us around the barn. We had lots of places to hide, but no easy escape.

He did chase me up to the rafter but was a nice as a kitten when I was able to reach down and scratch his back. We were back to the chase once I tried to get down, though.

I have a very large respect for these large animals and would never mess with one these exceptionally strong animals.

They are large, majestic and deserve respect. I don't have to see them mistreated or taunted to have a full appreciation for them.

At a bull fight a matador was killed. The bull is to be put down. Talk about a no win situation.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

Go Bulls!!!

too bad about the bull though. not fair at all. he should be given a life sentence out to pasture...