Warning-60 Visa Not Available In Myanmar Now

Thailand do NOT WANT FARANGS to LIVE in Thailand (if they are not rich)

Me think you should drop the (if they are not rich)

Which leaves the correct sentence:

Thailand do NOT WANT FARANGS to LIVE in Thailand

Now I am over 50 and have over 800k/year, in the middle of building a house.

But I begin considering plan C: (plan B is I have a home in ColdWetLand, but dislike the place)

Sell the house and go live elsewhere. Start thinking/dreaming where the next country might be.

Thailand more and more feels xenophobic to me.

I can do withouth.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know the worst part about asking about visas is were all entitled to different visas, I have a multiple entry TV with no visa exempt stamps on my passport ever. After spending over an hour with Chiang Mai immigration who were very helpful I left with the one message they constantly repeated, "Do not attempt after March to arrive into Bangkok without a visa"

I am sure many readers will find your experience very interesting...and disturbing.

That ominous reference to “after March”, which is six months after the new rule about maximum 90 days visa-exempt stay within 180 days took effect, makes me think that this particular immigration official may not understand the new rule very clearly. There have been other reports indicating that some officials – a consular official in Hong Kong has been mentioned – at present think a combination of visa-exempt stays and tourist-visa stays of total 180 days means that after these six months no visa-exempt entry is allowed for a certain period. I am sure that immigration officials will get a better understanding of this new rule as time goes by; at least I hope so for the sake of everybody who is affected by this rule.

Or does this immigration official know of something new being planned? I would doubt it. Even with the recent changes, information was reportedly disseminated to the lower ranks at very short notice.

Incidentally, if anybody would like to read the Police Order of which this visa-exempt rule is a part, an English translation can be found here on the website of the Immigration Bureau.

--------------

Maestro

Is the beer here great? NO

Is the educations system here great? NO

Going home so my kids can get a real education and learn to THINK!

I am not a good judge of beers, but I know quite a few people who quit highly-paid executive jobs in Thailand to bring their families home for the sake of the children’s education, and many of them even worked in Bangkok, where relatively good international schools are available.

I wish you and your family all the best.

--------------

Maestro

That ominous reference to “after March”, which is six months after the new rule about maximum 90 days visa-exempt stay within 180 days took effect, makes me think that this particular immigration official may not understand the new rule very clearly.

I agree as helpful as he was it made no sense, my (european) wife did not believe or was at best doubtful went down a few days later and was told the same thing, but instead of saying "march" the immigration person said "in your particular situation" get a new visa

In our situation we are fine in my opinion we have a few months and can see what people are told in

Jan/Feb

Maybe I am wrong and we will just have to see when the dust clears but there seems to be some very unlcear msgs being said, but both of us with no visa exempt stamps have now been told not to attempt it

I think after Jan it will be a lot clearer but as I said earlier just saying what we have been told in the last week

Maybe I am wrong and we will just have to see when the dust clears but there seems to be some very unlcear msgs being said, but both of us with no visa exempt stamps have now been told not to attempt it

I think after Jan it will be a lot clearer but as I said earlier just saying what we have been told in the last week

It might be difficult soon to board an airplane BKK bound without having a TV, or other visas.

The information regarding these new rules seems to be so confusing for overseas embassies/consultates, how can we expect the airlines to decipher them.

Are the airlines going to take any risks with the new rules? They could just start refusing all passengers without visas.

I may have a problem myself in March, as I'll be flying to BKK from Manila. It'll be impossible to get a TV from Manila (considering my long stay this year), so will I be allowed on a flight?

I may have to fly to Malaysia and pick up a TV on the way in.

Edited by tropo

According to World Tourism Organization, Thailand being the 19th of the top 20 countries in number of tourists, and it is the only one that do not offer visa free at least 90 days along with China.

Because Thailand wants to make profits on the visa like any third world nations like China as well, but at the same times they are losing lots of longer term tourists as well. For lots of people like me and others who are younger and financially very stable and like to hang out in Thailand or use thailand as base for longer Asian adventure, basically its troublesome for a long stay, so most of us in this group hang out other locations like Latin America, Latin Europe, where we can hang out indefinitely without any worrys. Other Asian destinations like Filippines, or Cambo can also be indefinite stay if you pay the extension indefinitely. Most important of all, in Latin America and Latin Europe, also Filippines as well, we feel we are so welcomed to stay there as long as we like.

I spend about 5-6 months a year hanging out in Asia, other months in Brasil, use BKK as the Asian base for Asia adventure. I know many people like me who are young but have finance to hang out extended periods Asia, but we more and more feel the Thai goverment has no direction in their governance, still quite immature in their policy makings, they are scaring away more and more money spending tourists and also scaring away lots of businessmen as well on their very fuzzy investment laws.

I was on a plane from Tokyo back to BKK a few weeks ago and met a German business man, he said he is coming to Thailand to cancel their company's contract of setting up a manufacture here, because the country's foreign 49% owenership law, which he said is absurd, how can a government expect foreigners to bring lots of money here and let the Thais just run the whole show, thats the absurdity and thats why up to now even the past government know its absurd and they aknowledge the Thai nominee practices up to now without problem. Now the new junta wants to screw up even the nominee practice and enforce the 49% owership law, the junta obviously have no experiences in international business and have no direction of governance for international investments, then he said that will be the total end of international investment for this country. Something so illogical in this competitive business world should be quickly removed, like in Vietnam and China, both countries considered late arrivals than thailand in international investments, but both countries have corrected their owership law, and allowed 100% foriegn own enterprises now. Vietnam even has now 1 stop window service for international investment while thailand is still going through seas of bureacracy to get any business enterprise license.

I recently have deeply feel the Thai economy also include tourism will take a steep down fall from next year, after reading many many articles recently from many sources, from the visa situation worst of all to the investment situation, the policy making is so immature and have no sense of direction, the government all seem to act on impulses instead of analytical reasoning.

Hope all the long stayers turn out to be okay next year. I am moving on to long stay in Brasil in Jan to Sep 07, and plan to come back Asia in Sep, and if Thailand no longer appreciate tourist to spend the precious money for their economy, I guess i will just switch my asia base to KL or Manila. Thailand need to realize that almost all the long stayers are interested in hanging out pouring money into their poor economy, we are absolutely not interested to make these pennies and nickels in Thailand, Do not kill an elephant just to scare away an ant, better join the rest of the world, at least join the the rest of the top 20 tourism nations give out free 90 days visa exempt, and do not forever squeeze in the same third world category with China trying to sqeeze money on visa, I guarantee people will spend more money stay longer just like all the top world destinations with at least 90 days visa exempt.

Edited by the pleiadian

I may have a problem myself in March, as I'll be flying to BKK from Manila. It'll be impossible to get a TV from Manila (considering my long stay this year), so will I be allowed on a flight?

If you are a resident of the Philippines you should have no problem getting a tourist visa from the Thai consulate in Manila. The fact that you visited Thailand previously for tourism should make no difference.

If you reside in another country and plan to vacation in the Philippines before continuing to Thailand, you should apply for your tourist visa for Thailand at a Thai consulate in your country of residence.

---------------

Maestro

If you are a resident of the Philippines you should have no problem getting a tourist visa from the Thai consulate in Manila. The fact that you visited Thailand previously for tourism should make no difference.

If you reside in another country and plan to vacation in the Philippines before continuing to Thailand, you should apply for your tourist visa for Thailand at a Thai consulate in your country of residence.

---------------

Maestro

I'm not a resident of the Philippines and trust me, the Manila embassy is impossible.

Even my Filipino GF can't get a visa there as they are paranoid that the young ladies are going there to work. I need to get 2 visas, one for me and one for her. Unless it can be guaranteed we are both going to get one, it's useless.

There have been a number of threads on here about stories of people being refused visas there.

It's better anyone thinking of attempting to get a tourist visa in Manila make other plans.

When was this ? Their recently updated website has this certificate requirement added.

One week ago. :o

Thanks, this is very good news as it is now possible to convert a tourist visa t a non-O in Thailand and then apply for the 1 year extensions

How long is long enough as a tourist?

I should think 90 days is enough time in Thailand as a tourist.

Why should you think that?

I know many people like myself that are perpetual tourists. How? We make our living using the Internet. All I need is a reliable internet connection and I'm able to be a tourist anywhere.

I haven't lived in my home country for many years, and don't need to.

Here's an interesting question. If I use the Internet in Thailand, should I be paying taxes on my trading profits?

I know one guy that lives in Asia that works for a large international company that thinks he is living in Florida. The Internet is an amazing thing. You should get with the times. Internet trading, Internet banking, ATMs...it all makes 'global nomading' a new reality.

If Thailand draws the line at 90 days, so be it, time to move on.

tour‧ist  /ˈtʊrɪst/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[toor-ist]

1. a person who is traveling, esp. for pleasure.

That is what a tourist is that is not what you're doing. I assure you if you give this argument to the European, Australian or North American governments they would also disagree with you.

If you are making a living on the internet in Thailand and not paying taxes to Thailand my guess is that you are not paying taxes to your government either which, I am sure would be much higher than Thailand.

What you are doing is one of the things creating the problem for everyone. Just do the right thing and get a visa and register your business.

Agreeing with DrFisher, we're not tourists if we're not travelling around. I lived in Nicaragua, but when I decided to setttle myself in Mexico, I applied for a no-inmigrante visa. My first trip to Thailand, I was a tourist. On that trip I decided to move myself to Chiang Mai, and got a non-immigrant B visa, got work, paid taxes to Thailand, etc. (even though I had no work permit or tax ID number; go figure).

Many countries don't have categories for every variety of non-tourist. The US Supreme Court said even a job that lasts over 6 months is not temporary, but indefinite duration. I think that after 6 months in Thailand, you're not a tourist any more.

I would add to your informative list expats 50 and over who cannot meet the new retirement rules because their pension is not large enough to reach 40K per month income (average pension of US citizen is just over US$1000 now). Previously, many could have put 400K in the bank and received a long term visa solution. The govt. knew this, and removed that option.

The rules were and are 65k income/800k bank deposit or a combination of the two for retirement extension of stay for those over age 50. The only change is the requirement that the 800k, if using that, is in the bank at least 3 months (to prevent extension day loans).

Sorry to bother you dear Sir, but I have some doubt about the validity of your knowledges. Or to be more exaact, I do believe you are saying only a part of the true because it please you to do so.

The only person who can say if you can have or not a visa is the immigration member justin front of you when you ask for it. The regulations are issued to offer a guidline to this person.

But the person have soverigh authority, mean if you are denied you can not argue because their is no laws. So rather thant to try to calm down things because if not it would hurt your business, you should tell the true as is it :

The thai official who issue a visa have sovereign authority to do it or to not do it, and no one know for sure before to have the answer from the concerned thai official if you met or not the criterias.

Maybe it will avoid to send people in many places for nothing, trip are costly and many of us are not rich enought to handle several (Well the money was already used to support thai wifes , thai mia noi, thai kids, thai teachers, thai beggar, thai economy, thai stock exchange .... so what is left for the trip?)

tour‧ist  /ˈtʊrɪst/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[toor-ist]

1. a person who is traveling, esp. for pleasure.

That is what a tourist is that is not what you're doing. I assure you if you give this argument to the European, Australian or North American governments they would also disagree with you.

If you are making a living on the internet in Thailand and not paying taxes to Thailand my guess is that you are not paying taxes to your government either which, I am sure would be much higher than Thailand.

What you are doing is one of the things creating the problem for everyone. Just do the right thing and get a visa and register your business.

Here is my case .

I do work on internet (freelance programmer), I opened a company, registred with 4 millions bht of capital (2 millions of cash, 2 millions in ideas), I pay taxes since 4 years, and I am NOT eligible to have a work permit, and my last request of non B was denied (in january this year) on the ground it was the third I asked.

So what do I do? well right now I use VOA, for the last time, I am closing my company and the 15 th of december I will be in Laos.

So btw us, what you say is simply silly, because thai officials do not want people like me or the other posters. They want OLD farang (you know what I mean, I love older..... you certainly heard it more than I can imagine). In my place we say old = senescence, moslty you are old , and can not think clearly .... (I will develop because it would equal a ban, but I suppose the idea clear enought)

It's better anyone thinking of attempting to get a tourist visa in Manila make other plans.

Thank you for this information, Tropo, and I see you have answered your own question.

Other tourists, please take note. It is always a good idea to apply for your visas for the countries you are travelling to before leaving your home country, and if you think of visiting Thailand only after you have already set out on your journey, avoid Manila, and while we are at it, avoid also Yangon (Rangoon) and Phnom Penh.

And I am sorry to hear about the difficulties your Filipino girlfriend is experiencing. One would expect that for nationals of an ASEAN country it should be relatively easy to visit another ASEAN country for the purpose of tourism. Can’t they get a visa-exempt entry for a short visit? I seem to remember reading something like that recently. For a longer touristic exploration of Thailand, she would obviously need a tourist visa.

---------------

Maestro

I think I'll unsubscribe from this one...it's got be have some of the biggest heaps of baloney in it of any posting on visas....why doesn't one of the moderstors shut this down, it doesn't add to anything that isn't in another posting or clearly available on a Visa web site.

Why waste time thinking about it? Just comply with the law.

The most logical and sensible post in the whole thread !!!

Its very simple. If you are an expat, then you are not a Thai National and need to comply with the immigration rules of Thailand, what ever they be.

Most of the whingers are doing so because their own ox is being gored, and in my opinion again most whingers are doing so because they cannot afford to live in their own countries on their pensions or their income.

I don't think Thailand is here to be a catch-all for those who cannot afford or do not like living in their home countries or other countries.

Thailand is evolving. To you who are always whinging, take a honest look,,,,,, the word again honest How many of your home countries or other countries are as good as or as easy to live in as Thailand....not just for yourself, but for foreign nationals.

If you think things are better for you or easier for you in some other country, then by all means move there and forget Thailand and all the problems you are having here; stop preaching the doom and gloom on what is going to happen to the rest of us, and move on with your life.

I have lived here for close to 20 years now, and find that Thailand is the place I want to be... I comply with the laws and pay my taxes and I have to say I am very happy here.

I do not agree with all that Thailand does, but I do believe it is the Thais right to do as they please with their government and country. It is not here to please us, the expat....

Some time ago in the US, there used to be a saying that may fit good here...."America, Love it or Leave It" . Maybe this would be true of Thailand.

Thailand to me is a beautiful country. If it is not the same for you, then please, just leave it and find the place that is good for you.... Don't degrade and tear down Thailand.

OM'sHO :o:D

Why waste time thinking about it? Just comply with the law.

The most logical and sensible post in the whole thread !!!

Its very simple. If you are an expat, then you are not a Thai National and need to comply with the immigration rules of Thailand, what ever they be.

Most of the whingers are doing so because their own ox is being gored, and in my opinion again most whingers are doing so because they cannot afford to live in their own countries on their pensions or their income.

I don't think Thailand is here to be a catch-all for those who cannot afford or do not like living in their home countries or other countries.

Thailand is evolving. To you who are always whinging, take a honest look,,,,,, the word again honest How many of your home countries or other countries are as good as or as easy to live in as Thailand....not just for yourself, but for foreign nationals.

If you think things are better for you or easier for you in some other country, then by all means move there and forget Thailand and all the problems you are having here; stop preaching the doom and gloom on what is going to happen to the rest of us, and move on with your life.

I have lived here for close to 20 years now, and find that Thailand is the place I want to be... I comply with the laws and pay my taxes and I have to say I am very happy here.

I do not agree with all that Thailand does, but I do believe it is the Thais right to do as they please with their government and country. It is not here to please us, the expat....

Some time ago in the US, there used to be a saying that may fit good here...."America, Love it or Leave It" . Maybe this would be true of Thailand.

Thailand to me is a beautiful country. If it is not the same for you, then please, just leave it and find the place that is good for you.... Don't degrade and tear down Thailand.

OM'sHO :o:D

101% right. The underlying tone of a lot of posts is that farang should have a God given right to stay in Thailand as long as they wish. Just about every other country in the world has immigration laws and visa regulations why shouldn't Thailand have them.

For example anyone making a living on overseas investments, trading on the internet etc simply could not stay in USA, Europe, Australia etc year after year unles they have citizenship of the country concerned or obtain a visa in accordance with the laws of that counrty (often more restrictive than Thailand). The certainly could not continue to get tourist visas as infinitum. Why is expect that they should be able to do this in Thailand?

There is certainly a need for Thailand to try and get some consitency, but the dust seems to be slowly settling. Those who want to live full time in Thailand just popping over a border for a day to get some sort of visa are finding things getting tighter. Those who return at least once a year to their homes in Europe, USA or Australia seem to have little problem. Retiries, those married to Thais or those with work permits seem to be getting things sorted out, albeit some conditioons are a bit strict. All this tends to show that Thailand is doing what it said it wanted to do i.e. see that those who stay in Thaialand have the proper visa. And why not? Thailand is a soverign country.

The party is over for me.

Going home so my kids can get a real education and learn to THINK!The rest of you sholul follow.

Vacation here but do NOT live here. Thailand does not want you and we should not put up with the junk here.

I agree with Thais who say go home to us.

I am following all the smart Thais out of this place.

I agree with most of what you say - but I still love it here and have no wish to go back to the UK.

I guess its a case of one mans meat being another mans poison.

I hope you are not going back to the UK to use the public (non private) education system there - as I suspect your kids will learn a lot more than just how to 'think' in some of the playgrounds of my homeland.

Sadly I dont think respect will be one of them.

Good luck with your move though and I for one am sorry to hear someone like you has had enough.

I think I'll unsubscribe from this one...it's got be have some of the biggest heaps of baloney in it of any posting on visas....why doesn't one of the moderstors shut this down, it doesn't add to anything that isn't in another posting or clearly available on a Visa web site.

I have to agree. Ever decreasing circles. I'll close it.