Reporter arrested while reporting on referendum in Ratchaburi

webfact

Reporter arrested while reporting on referendum in Ratchaburi
By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

Prat.jpg
A sign outside the Bangkok newsroom of Prachatai. Photo: Courtesy Prachatai

RATCHABURI — A reporter for a pro-democracy news website was detained by police this morning in Ratchaburi province.

Taweesak Kerdpoka, a journalist for Prachatai.com, a Bangkok-based bilingual news website was detained Sunday morning along with three members of New Democracy Movement (NDM).

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2016/07/10/reporter-arrested-reporting-referendum-ratchaburi/

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-07-11

One can only hope that people show up and vote 'no' on the referendum and that the Junta actually has the nerve to report the actual votes. IF if fails to pass then the PM should, like in the UK, resign....of course, he has said he won't resign in such event....so what does that say? I don't believe that the Thai people do not realize the truth about this government - and hope that they show up in large numbers and vote. Thailand can and should do much better than this -

One can only hope that people show up and vote 'no' on the referendum and that the Junta actually has the nerve to report the actual votes. IF if fails to pass then the PM should, like in the UK, resign....of course, he has said he won't resign in such event....so what does that say? I don't believe that the Thai people do not realize the truth about this government - and hope that they show up in large numbers and vote. Thailand can and should do much better than this -

I read that, the government stated. If the people vote no, the next constitution draft will be worse then this one.

Better to vote yes, and have elections. Then is 3 years it will all start over again. Same as the last 60 years.

I read that, the government stated. If the people vote no, the next constitution draft will be worse then this one.

Better to vote yes, and have elections. Then is 3 years it will all start over again. Same as the last 60 years.

Not enough people have registered, the people don't give a toss, it's a waste of time them having opinions, as the Junta are not allowing them!

If you'd like to download a translated English version of Thailand's draft charter 2016, then :-

http://www.prachatai.com/english/node/6324

Available for a limitied time only!

Many references to democracy, democratic, undivided etc.

I don't see any way that this could be explained to 99.9% of the population so that they may make an informed decision come the referendum.

Will simply add to the general apathy that currently abounds.

This referendum is to vote for/against acceptance of the 2016 Draft Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand.

Ironically, according to the Unofficial English Translation of that document (http://www.un.or.th/2016-thailand-draft-constitution-english-translation/), Section 35 states "A person of mass media profession shall enjoy the liberty to report news or express opinion in compliance with professional ethics."

This referendum is to vote for/against acceptance of the 2016 Draft Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand.

Ironically, according to the Unofficial English Translation of that document (http://www.un.or.th/2016-thailand-draft-constitution-english-translation/), Section 35 states "A person of mass media profession shall enjoy the liberty to report news or express opinion in compliance with professional ethics."

The kicker is "In compliance with professional ethics" and who pray tell will interpret what professional means?

The people must be allowed to be able to discuss their constitution.
Only if the people are involved and the people can understand their constitution, they will obey and respect their constitution in the future.

I wish Nida would make a survey in the next week.
Have you read the new constitution paper?
The percentage would be very interesting

'Reporting' might be a wrong choice of words, 'agit-prop' might be closer to reality. The big question being: oh, no, a-ha, not one about (the absence of?) 'personal opinions', but rather: who is paying these, so-called, 'activists'...? Asking the question in this case might be the answer... Give me a 'T' as first name, a 'S' as family name, a 'P' or a 'U' might do to for the movement, come on, it's so bloody evident! Anyone saying this is 'genuine' or 'democratic' or anything of the load I will straight in the eyes call a liar, ...or a dumbass!

Thais having 'personal opinions', yeah, right, maybe rather looking around already, as they do before any vote(!!!), to find out which side is paying the most! Do they know what it is really about, do they care a bit: NO! And there you have the guys from the UN, US, EU babbling and pointing a finger about 'democracy' in Thailand, what a (bitter!) laugh! ...As if they know what it is really about, as if they care a bit...! The business must go on, FINAL!

'Reporting' might be a wrong choice of words, 'agit-prop' might be closer to reality. The big question being: oh, no, a-ha, not one about (the absence of?) 'personal opinions', but rather: who is paying these, so-called, 'activists'...? Asking the question in this case might be the answer... Give me a 'T' as first name, a 'S' as family name, a 'P' or a 'U' might do to for the movement, come on, it's so bloody evident! Anyone saying this is 'genuine' or 'democratic' or anything of the load I will straight in the eyes call a liar, ...or a dumbass!

yes... the reporter certainly wasn't a member of the "neutral press"

Edited by manarak

Perhaps not, but what difference does that make? People should be free to have and express opinions, even if those opinions disagree with the officially sanctioned narrative. That is what a free press is. If you don't have that, then you are living under a tyranny.

As the writer, philosopher and historian Voltaire once said:

"I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it."

Leaders who feel the need to impose by diktat what can and can't be said by their people are not fit to rule. It displays weakness and fear.

A strong and confident leader can accept criticism in his stride. He knows that you can never be all things to all men, but you must allow dissenters to voice their concerns.

Perhaps not, but what difference does that make? People should be free to have and express opinions, even if those opinions disagree with the officially sanctioned narrative. That is what a free press is. If you don't have that, then you are living under a tyranny.

"I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it."

Leaders who feel the need to impose by diktat what can and can't be said by their people are not fit to rule. It displays weakness and fear.

A strong and confident leader can accept criticism in his stride. He knows that you can never be all things to all men, but you must allow dissenters to voice their concerns.

yes, I agree with your principles, but I would like to remind you Thailand is under martial Law and that at the moment there is no freedom of expression.

second, you are talking about an "officially sanctioned narrative" - well, there is also a narrative that is sanctioned by regime opponents and that narrative tries to portray activists as (neutral) journalists.

"Military government arrests opposition media journalist" would be more accurate.

But everyone has an agenda, truly neutral journalists are very hard to find nowadays, even in the West.

Edited by manarak

That is definitely the next step for Thailand to get progress.