Three teens died in bid to escape police chase for street race in Bangkok

webfact

Three teens died in bid to escape police chase for street race

BANGKOK: -- The accident happened as the two officers patrolling the road on a motorbike spotted a group of 20 teens in about 10 motorcycles racing on the road.

The officers then chased the street racers who immediately sped in all direction after seeing them.

A teen street racer with two pillion riders, a 14-year-old boy and 18-year-old girl, was then chased and ordered to stop

However the teen driver didn’t heed the officers’ order and instead escalated the engine in bid to escape faster.

In bid to stop them, the officers then cut in front of the racer’s motorbike with hope the driver would put a brake.

But the sudden cut in front resulted in a fatal crash of the two motorcycles.

The three teens and the two officers were critically injured.

They were all admitted to Siriraj hospital by Por Teck Tueng charity foundation road rescuers.

The three teens were pronounced dead on arrival for serious wounds on the heads, faces and bodies.

The two officers also suffered broken teeth, cuts on faces, broken bones on the shoulder.

After the accident a group of teens came to the hospital in bid to visit their injured friends.

Upon hearing their friends’ deaths, they criticised the police action and chase saying the police overacted in the chase.

One teen claimed they did not race but just were riding home after visiting a temple to make merits after 2 am.

But the deputy commander of Metropolitan Police Bureau’s Division 9 Pol Col Supiranat Satatanachaipat assured their parents that he would ensure justice for all sides.

He also said if their parents had any evidence that the police overacted in the chase, they could hand in to the police to investigate.

The police said they have video footages showing the teens were racing and the officers then chased them in bid to stop the race.

Phetkasem station police chief Pol Lt Col Phairoj Tritham said the police were ordered to get tough with street racers under the military junta’s order following numerous complaints from the public on street racing by teens on Phetkasem road every weekend.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/three-teens-died-bid-escape-police-chase-street-race/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-11

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First question - do those teenagers possess driving licenses?

If not, why do their parents allow them on motorcycles? They are the first responsible party to the outcome.

Edited by trogers

If not, why do their parents allow them on motorcycles? They are the first responsible party to the outcome.

Parents?

Thailand?

The teenagers are all dead so the question is irrelevant and pillion riders do not need licences.

<deleted>? How are parents supposed to show evidence that the police over-reacted? Surely this was NOT in the manual about dealing with fleeing vehicles - drive in front if them? Really? I would say police conduct needs investigating. But would do it?

A post containing derogatory slur has been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

The three teens were pronounced dead on arrival for serious wounds on the heads, faces and bodies.

The two officers also suffered broken teeth, cuts on faces, broken bones on the shoulder.

Seems to me that the teens were way more "critical" than the cops whose injuries are far from life-threatening.

I'm sure that there must have been a way to catch the youngsters without resorting to this. Police brutality.

In the US they've got problems with bike racers on the streets. Most districts have just stopped chasing them and arrest them later once they get their picture and identity as evidence. In my time here I have heard many times of the kids of cops doing this kind of stuff and not being charged like the others just because their dad's a cop. It hasn't help end this. I think they are confiscating the bikes now and they should. It they impounded the bikes for three to six months the kids would have a big problem. Of course, charge them as well and if necessary send them to reform school or enlist them in the trash pickup brigades for a year under military control.

The police method of stopping speeding cars and bikes here displays a complete lack of training and a quite amazing disregard for public safety.

There are numerous youtube vids and newspaper stories of shots being fired into wheels or engines in a clumsy attempt to stop a vehicle. Where will the bullet end up? What will the result of the crash be?

I myself was riding my 125 cc bike on Viphavadi-Rangsit. I was in the wrong lane for motorbikes and blissfully unaware as I cruised along at 70 kph when all of sudden a cop pulled up alongside and chopped my right arm with his left hand to request me to stop. A ridiculously stupid manouevre which could have very easily led to me crashing at 70 kph.

It really beggars belief how deep the lack of any duty of care is.

Seems to me that the teens were way more "critical" than the cops whose injuries are far from life-threatening.

I'm sure that there must have been a way to catch the youngsters without resorting to this. Police brutality.

I saw that too, and thought the teens most likely weren't wearing helmets, while the cops were most likely wearing open-faced helmets... Obviously I have no clue, but this supposition is based on many years of direct observation.

Driver over 18? Drivers license? Helmets?

The world lost at least one idiot in this crash! If the police order you to stop and you decide to speed away and don't stop then you are the one that is responsible for what happens after! The parents of the pillion riders should blame the driver and if he was under 18 then they should sue his parents as they would be responsible for him and he having a motorcycle in the first place.

Edited by Kasset Tak

Driver over 18? Drivers license? Helmets?

The world lost at least one idiot in this crash! If the police order you to stop and you decide to speed away and don't stop then you are the one that is responsible for what happens after! The parents of the pillion riders should blame the driver and if he was under 18 then they should sue his parents as they would be responsible for him and he having a motorcycle in the first place.

Wow, a 14 yo boy has died and that's all you have to say? Are you a father or do you have children you care for? teenage boys are tough to manage, they may end up racing on bikes without your knowing this. This one was someone's son and brother, you know.

It has happened in my Thai family, an otherwise trouble-free 15 yo boy had an accident while racing, he was not seriously hurt but someone else had been injured too and the bike (borrowed from an older friend) was severely damaged. He was arrested and I paid the 30K bahts to get him out of this without hesitation, too happy to get him home safe. That was 10+ years ago so these 30K were worth more than they are now.

No one would have ever suspected that he'd do something like this, not being on the wild side at all.

I hate these street racers as much as anyone here, but such heartless comments when a young life has been lost...

I'd agree, the reported version of events shows extremely poor tactics on the part of the police... They ought not have resorted to that method of trying to stop a fleeing motorcycle.

However, that said, the teens are ultimately the ones responsible here. Even if they were innocent and just resulting from temple (cough cough), once contacted by police, they should have pulled over rather than fleeing. It was the driver's decision to flee that triggered the ill-advised response by the police.

The teenagers are all dead so the question is irrelevant and pillion riders do not need licences.

Yes unfortunately they are dead and yes, the pillion passengers didn't need a licence .

I would be asking the parents, why were your kids out so late tear-arsing about on motor cycles - any suggestions, any care on your part, any supervision, DO YOU ACTUALLY CARE - although a bit late now.

Just another 3 lives lost thru' stupidity by all parties, including the BIB who should be charged with reckless driving causing death and then sacked for their stupid act.

The police method of stopping speeding cars and bikes here displays a complete lack of training and a quite amazing disregard for public safety.

There are numerous youtube vids and newspaper stories of shots being fired into wheels or engines in a clumsy attempt to stop a vehicle. Where will the bullet end up? What will the result of the crash be?

I myself was riding my 125 cc bike on Viphavadi-Rangsit. I was in the wrong lane for motorbikes and blissfully unaware as I cruised along at 70 kph when all of sudden a cop pulled up alongside and chopped my right arm with his left hand to request me to stop. A ridiculously stupid manouevre which could have very easily led to me crashing at 70 kph.

It really beggars belief how deep the lack of any duty of care is.

It's not lack of duty of care, it's from lack of training and stupidity. In (I think) most states in Australia once any pursuit looks to be leading to a nasty outcome, it is mandatory to terminate the pursuit.

Edited by Artisi

Well, just a few nasty nasty teens dead, at least no face lost for the police overall, case closed... ("If you don't get caught you're lucky".....)

Trust you are being facetious with that comment but it seems the BIB did lose some face, teeth and skin etc.

Also, shame you're not saying 2 nasty police dead, case closed ..... seeing as how directly caused the deaths -- should have let them go, no point in killing 3 kids to make a point.

RIP...

If they weren't racing this would not have happened.

If they weren't running from the police this would not have happened.

If they were wearing helmets they might still be alive.

If the police didn't stop the driver he may have killed even more people in the future.

A lot of "ifs" but each one is something to think about.