Power meter reading and cost

jmccarty

I'm unsure of my power consumption in my house.

post-100328-0-28192800-1468212797_thumb.

Here is my meter, I used about 12.6 units measured on this meter in a 24 hour period from yesterday until today.

My land lord says this meter difference should be multiplied by 10 to get units and then power is 5 baht per unit. (i.e. yesterday it read 2140.3)

So I am using 630 baht of power per day. And I am also using much more power than anyone else in my village.

If it were just 12.6 x 5, that could not be possible. At least 1 x 18,000btu AC was on for most of the day with other household appliances (2 refrigerators, ceiling fans, the swimming pool etc.).

Something seems wrong with this! Any suggestion to determine if this is accurate or not?

The landlord did connect another meter beside this one and it read the same over the time it was connected.

12.6 units @ 5 Baht = 63 Baht per day, about 1,890 Baht per month.

I wish our bill was that small.

Your 18,000 BTU aircon will be using about 1 unit per hour anyway (depends upon temperature setting of course).

Now whilst this is here why does the electric bills vary in price each month? Yes I know depends how much you use. Example last month's bill 1950 bht this month 1672 bht the units used there was a 5 unit diffrence from last month to this with this month's being the higher units used. So for using more units the bill was lower!!!! Asked the man who brings the bills and collects money. Answer cheaper some months than others. All bills genuine and units used are correct I always take the reading when the meter reader comes round.

My land lord says this meter difference should be multiplied by 10 to get units and then power is 5 baht per unit. (i.e. yesterday it read 2140.3)

Let's assume it's just a lost in translation and/or your landlord does not know that no meter reader cares about the last digit (the 0.1 kWh).

So if he means "read 21403 and DIVIDE by 10 then he would be OK.

2140 in short. That are the units (kWh).

On your picture the meter would be read as 2153 units.

13 units from 2140, 13*5 = 65 Baht.

5 Baht for such a unit from the landlord(?) is an "OK" price.

Price directly from the energy company (MEA/PEA) is about 4.4 Baht (depending on consumption).

Thanks reply's for your responses.

I am getting a bill that is ((10 x 5) x number of monthly units). Units on my power bill = approx. 400, multiplied by 50!

I can't see any other way to read the meter. But I also think 2,000 baht is too low for the amount of power I use.

I will look for a 3rd party to asses the meter and my bill. Hard to find I expect!

Are you saying you paid B2000 for 400 KWH (units)? IE: 5 baht / unit. That seems to be the going price with a middle-man. Paying directly to the PEA is usually between 4-4.5 baht / unit.

20,000 baht for 400 kWh (units)! I don't really think I can use that much power if I tried, something is not right!

I am getting a bill that is ((10 x 5) x number of monthly units). Units on my power bill = approx. 400, multiplied by 50!

I can't see any other way to read the meter. But I also think 2,000 baht is too low for the amount of power I use.

I will look for a 3rd party to asses the meter and my bill. Hard to find I expect!

There is no magic behind.

You used 13 kWh from yesterday to today.

5 Baht is a reasonable price per kWh.

2000 Baht too low?

Well an 18000 BTU and a pool pump eat somewhat but it is still plausible.

Don't tell that they want 20000 Baht!!!

MOVE!!!

There is no magic behind.

You used 13 kWh from yesterday to today.

5 Baht is a reasonable price per kWh.

2000 Baht too low?

Well an 18000 BTU and a pool pump eat somewhat but it is still plausible.

Don't tell that they want 20000 Baht!!!

MOVE!!!

Yes, the logic he is using is 50 baht per meter kWh. The meter is very clear. But the landlord is saying that the meter is reading less one decimal place. I don't see it either! I need to look around my village at the other house meters and ask what some of them are paying.

Now whilst this is here why does the electric bills vary in price each month? Yes I know depends how much you use. Example last month's bill 1950 bht this month 1672 bht the units used there was a 5 unit diffrence from last month to this with this month's being the higher units used. So for using more units the bill was lower!!!! Asked the man who brings the bills and collects money. Answer cheaper some months than others. All bills genuine and units used are correct I always take the reading when the meter reader comes round.

Utter nonsense.

You are taken for a ride or something is completely fishy.

Change of tariff?

Only an anonymized scan of the bills could clear this.

Electricity prices are unchanged since May 2016 (last "Ft" correction).

http://www.mea.or.th/profile/index.php?l=en&tid=3&mid=2986&pid=2985

Higher consumption, higher bill.

Utter nonsense.

You are taken for a ride or something is completely fishy.

Change of tariff?

Only an anonymized scan of the bills could clear this.

Electricity prices are unchanged since May 2016 (last "Ft" correction).

http://www.mea.or.th/profile/index.php?l=en&tid=3&mid=2986&pid=2985

Higher consumption, higher bill.

Quite correct higher consumption higher bill as I've always known it but facts don't lie to bills 5 units diffrence lower bill higher consumption reading correct as I took them at same time as meter reader. Will be going to PEA tomorow with bills see if I can clear it up. Can't be being taken for a ride official bills from PEA and collector of monies been doing job for PEA for years. He is not the meter reader and as I say I read meter at same time. Will let you know what PEA say

If you are paying direct to PEA the fuel tariff (FT) does vary. I must admit I don't check our bill, just pay it each month, it's always 4.5 - 5k Baht.

If it was significantly more and we hadn't got visitors I would check (Wifey keeps them all).

Referring to #13

the Ft lowered the rate from May on. So only idea: first bill was with old Ft (Jan to Apr), second bill with current Ft. But it would need the details to find out.

Ft can change every 4 months. Currently very low, actually a negative "surcharge". A deduction in reality.

Please note this is a 3 phase 30 amp meter rather than single phase most of us use - so not sure if per unit charge is the same.

Well spotted although the unit rate should be similar.

A 30/120 3-phase is suited to a small factory, how big is your home?

I can't find any details on the units this meter is reading. It appears, that the right most digit is a decimal of a kWh. If the right most digit is 1 kWh, then it is even easier to read and not sure why the landlord would use the next 3 numbers (to the left) and multiply by 10 when the actual number is displayed. It would be 21,529 and just turning over to 21,530. And also stop me from wondering what the kWh usage is by meter!

Please note this is a 3 phase 30 amp meter rather than single phase most of us use - so not sure if per unit charge is the same.

Well spotted although the unit rate should be similar.

A 30/120 3-phase is suited to a small factory, how big is your home?

It's a reasonably big house, but only running split unit AC's and 2 refrigerators and a pool. The builder made the house to a very high standard.

The rightmost digit is 1/10 kWh.

So the meter in the OP is reading 2152.95 just rolling over to 2153.0

EDIT Using 12.6 units over 24 hours is an average load of 500 Watts, not unreasonable although our average is twice that (we have three freezers, fish ponds and a server running 24/7).

Your landlord is either a complete idiot, or is hoping you are.

Thanks, that is what I thought! Reasonable assumption.

Yeah, but I'm struggling to find that exact meter to verify.

Looks like your meter is 40 disc revolutions per unit, so it's worth counting / timing the disc and checking against the dial.

Maybe you really are using 126 units per day :(

Looks like your meter is 40 disc revolutions per unit, so it's worth counting / timing the disc and checking against the dial.

Maybe you really are using 126 units per day sad.png

I will time it tomorrow, it is easy enough to see a full revolution and watch the count. Thanks for your suggestion.

Maybe you really are using 126 units per day sad.png

I will time it tomorrow, it is easy enough to see a full revolution and watch the count. Thanks for your suggestion.

I am still a bit to thick to translate 40rpu to kWh. But I will google it.

1. Sit in front of your meter, note the current amount

2. count 40 revolutions of the disk

3. Now read the new amount.

This is exactly 1 Unit (1 kWh) and should cost you 5 Baht.

If your monthly estimate is still 20K Baht or more after this:

4. Turn off everything in the house

5. See if the meter is still spinning

6. Go walk around and see who else is using your power..

Belay my previous assertion!!

This is the spec. for the nearest meter I can find:-

file2_1457590218.pdf

Note that the industrial strength meters 15(45), 30(100) and 50(150) are all 5 digit WITHOUT decimal, the baby 5(6) is 4 digit + decimal.

So it looks like our OP really did use 126 units per day.

Since the meter has apparently been checked against another he really does need to check what's running.

Archived