"Just doing our duty, sir" - police get online hammering in road stop clip

webfact

must be rare but it is heartening

to see citizen stand up for his rights.

nothing to fear if you have done nothing wrong.

such a stance shows things are working fairly.

From what the OP says it seems that this citizen had done quite a lot wrong.

I'm no fan of the BIB but in this case I can't see why they are being viewed as in the wrong. As long as they identified themselves as police they have the right to pull someone up for illegal turns, no helmet etc...

So in the thread where there was a clear crime being committed (evasion) by youth racers you lambast the police for doing their job. While in this thread you advocate search of private property without a warrant or probable cause?

Ticketing a traffic violation is fine, but threat of seizure and/or search without probable cause definitely isn't and would be enough to get any motorist riled up.

Can't believe the bloke is whinging about being pinched for riding a defective motorcycle with no mirrors and a passenger without a helmet.

And to merely give him a ticket and let him ride off on the same defective machine with the passenger with no helmet shows you exactly why Thai roads and their rules are in such a disgraceful mess.

I'd have to say this is standard all across the world. I've been pulled over for broken tail lights before (yeah, just like the movies) and the police officer gave me a citation while allowing me to drive home in my "defective machine".

The alternative of impounding every vehicle is ridiculously impractical.

I'm no fan of the BIB but in this case I can't see why they are being viewed as in the wrong. As long as they identified themselves as police they have the right to pull someone up for illegal turns, no helmet etc...

So in the thread where there was a clear crime being committed (evasion) by youth racers you lambast the police for doing their job. While in this thread you advocate search of private property without a warrant or probable cause?

Ticketing a traffic violation is fine, but threat of seizure and/or search without probable cause definitely isn't and would be enough to get any motorist riled up.

Nope. You are wrong.

In the other thread I have made the point that the force used was inappropriate.

The police must be allowed to do their job but they are also responsible for ensuring their actions are appropriate.

The problem I have with these officers is their agenda.

If you are plain clothes for the purpose of turning up drug dealers, fine. That is a perfectly good reason for being plain clothes. You stop this guy on the motorcycle, you check for drugs. When it is clear that he is simply violating traffic laws, you hand him off to a properly attired police officer or let him go, then get back to the purpose for which you are in plain clothes!

The purpose of plain clothes is to deal with drug dealers who will bolt if they see your uniform. The purpose of the uniform is so that I know you are a proper police officer when you pull me over, not some thief trying to lift my motorcycle.

There is no way, ID (easily faked) or no ID, I would have let this "officer" take my motorcycle.