Q: Apply for work permit - married, what extension is needed?

I am married to a Thai and therefore, I can (together with my future employer) apply for a work permit based on being married to said Thai. I have been reading loads of websites and loads of threads in TV about other requirements in order to apply for the work permit and everywhere, I read "must have a non-immigrant Visa".

Now I am of course here on a non-imm O, currently with retirement extension, marriage is legally registered with all documents available, but have not changed to marriage extension (more hassle).

So my question: Upon applying for the work permit, you have to submit the passport showing the non-immigrant Visa (and all other pages of the passport), the up-to-date marriage documents (I assume Khor Ror 2), wife's ID card and house book. but I nowhere found any hint about whether you need to be on a marriage extension or whether the retirement extension will also be accepted? I have been told that it should be possible to apply for the work permit even when on retirement extension (but should... is not enough for me to try)

Anybody know about where I can find this (crucial) information other than going to the labor department? Or even better, anybody here got her / his work permit based on marriage and retirement extension?

Thanks all for any hint / clarification / input

Most work permit offices will not accept an application if you are on an extension based upon retirement.

You need to change to an extension of stay based upon marriage but you will not be able to do that until your current extension ends.

You may have to go out for a single entry non-o based upon marriage in order to apply for the work permit and then apply for an extension based upon marriage.

Greetings my Swiss friend,

If you go the marriage + work permit route. I can confirm that is possible

My visa extension is based on marriage and I do it myself.

My work permit is done separately. I use an agent for this which collects all the info from me and the company I worked for. The company prefers this as it streamlines their own processes and also limits the people they give potentially sensitive company info to.

The work permit process doesn't require any of your marriage documents. They just want to know you have a valid non-immig visa extension.

The info the agent last collected for the work permit from me (excluding what they get from my company about the business) was:

1. Original passport;

2. Original work permit; (as it was a renewal)

3. Original health check-up certificate (issued no longer than 6 months);

**Please declare to doctor that you would like to check your health for applying work permit in Thailand. The Health Certificate must have no the six prohibited diseases as follows:-

(1) Leprosy;

(2) TB or Tuberculosis, dangerous stage;

(3) Elephantiasis;

(4) Addiction;

(5) Alcoholism;

(6) Syphilis, stage III.

4. Official fee for work permit renewal is either (i) 1-year is Baht 3,100 or (ii) 2-year is Baht 6,100 depending on the BOT’s approval letter; and

5. Signed applications.

BTW Some agents want you to do a combined package with them. I prefer doing the visa side myself and work permit separately. So pay only for the agent's work on WP.

The advantage of the marriage visa extension means that you are not dependent on your job to stay here, Should your job finish and you are on a business extension for visa purposes, that visa permission end sthe day yor WP ends and you have 24/48 hours to leave the country, although you can extend for 7 days

Also if you're applying for the visa extension based on money in a bank it's only THB 400k for marriage compared to 800k for retirement.

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

First, thanks everybody for your input

Most work permit offices will not accept an application if you are on an extension based upon retirement.

You need to change to an extension of stay based upon marriage but you will not be able to do that until your current extension ends.

You may have to go out for a single entry non-o based upon marriage in order to apply for the work permit and then apply for an extension based upon marriage.

ubonjoe: You happen to know how the Chonburi (Banglamung) labor office does handle this question?

Are you sure about not being able to change from retirement extension to marriage until the current exetnsion ends?

In the past I've changed from extension based on business to extension based on marriage mid way thru and before the extension ends. Business exetnsion ran to October and I changed to marriage extesnion in May.

Also, from their FAQ list the "type of visa" can be changed.

Admittedly not the same as "extension", but if you could change the visa type and you could change business exetnsion to marriage extension before expiry, I don't see why they would object to chaging retirement extension to marriage extension

52.Question : How could the foreigners change type of visa? And What is the relation regulations?

Answer : The foreigners could change type of visa under specific regulations required documents must be completed.

53. Question : What documents are required for changing type of visa ?

Answer : Required documents for changing type of visa are in accordance with reasons of each case as specified in the

Requlations (Further information, please contact telephone number 0-2141-9903 )

Swiss1960

Could well be worth calling the number above

Edited by fletchsmile

Are you sure about not being able to change from retirement extension to marriage until the current exetnsion ends?

In the past I've changed from extension based on business to extension based on marriage mid way thru and before the extension ends. Business exetnsion ran to October and I changed to marriage extesnion in May.

Also, from their FAQ list the "type of visa" can be changed.

Admittedly not the same as "extension", but if you could change the visa type and you could change business exetnsion to marriage extension before expiry, I don't see why they would object to chaging retirement extension to marriage extension

52.Question : How could the foreigners change type of visa? And What is the relation regulations?

Answer : The foreigners could change type of visa under specific regulations required documents must be completed.

53. Question : What documents are required for changing type of visa ?

Answer : Required documents for changing type of visa are in accordance with reasons of each case as specified in the

Requlations (Further information, please contact telephone number 0-2141-9903 )

Swiss1960

Could well be worth calling the number above

Immigration requires a valid reason to cancel an extension. Just asking for it to be canceled is not a valid reason. Can you think of a reason for a extension based upon retirement being canceled.

As soon as you stop working that is the valid reason to cancel an extension based upon working.

A change of visa status is certainly not an example. Only a tourist visa entry can be changed to some class of non immigrant visa. Classes of non immigrant visa cannot be changed.

Immigration requires a valid reason to cancel an extension. Just asking for it to be canceled is not a valid reason. Can you think of a reason for a extension based upon retirement being canceled.

As soon as you stop working that is the valid reason to cancel an extension based upon working.

A change of visa status is certainly not an example. Only a tourist visa entry can be changed to some class of non immigrant visa. Classes of non immigrant visa cannot be changed.

Yes. In Swiss 1960's case I'd say he has a valid reason for an extension change. He is currently on a retirement visa = not working. He now wants to work again as a job opportunity has presented itself = working.

Similar reason to mine just in reverse. I originally had non-immig B. My extension was then based on working. I stopped working so changed to marriage extension. He wants to start working so wants to change from retirement/ non-working to working. Logically that's a valid reason.

In his shoes, I'd have a polite and courteous discussion with immigration, explaining the situation and that I would very much like to do this in accordance with the Thai immigration legislation I respect. Changing visa extension status is the first step in that process of changing his status from non working to working.

I'd also take my wife and kids along if it were me if there's a chance. I find immigration are often more helpful when they see the cute kids, family unit, and a decent guy wanting to respect the law. But that's just me smile.png ... and also based on what we did when I changed. We didn't know the process at the time and didn't have all the right documents. However, an understanding staff member helped us with what extra was required and extra documents needed/ how.

Edited by fletchsmile