1,2call worked from China

I was in Shanghai last week on a return trip from Canada. and decided to try to call my wife in Thailand. I just called her as usual no long distance and I got through. It went through no problem.Just the normal number I use in Thailand.I was shocked. Has anyone else called from out of country and gotten through with AIS. Not even long distance.

Not sure OP what you mean by "no long distance". Presume you were just sticking +66 in front of her normal number and dropping the zero or not even doing that?

By no long distance i meant I just called her number as usual as I do in Thailand. Went to dialled numbers on the phone and simply pressed dial.Did not need 66 it was like making a local call.

So what you presumed was wrong sorry.

I had just opened the phone and had received an AIS SMS so thought if AIS can contact me I will try the phone and was shocked it worked.

Edited by lovelomsak

Not sure OP what you mean by "no long distance". Presume you were just sticking +66 in front of her normal number and dropping the zero or not even doing that?

By no long distance i meant I just called her number as usual as I do in Thailand. Went to dialled numbers on the phone and simply pressed dial.Did not need 66 it was like making a local call.

So what you presumed was wrong sorry.

I had just opened the phone and had received an AIS SMS so thought if AIS can contact me I will try the phone and was shocked it worked.

Are you sure that your wife's number is not actually stored in your phone including the +66? It's possible that it is and would of course make no difference when calling within Thailand but would enable you to call her from overseas with no changes.

Also, did you notice if the phone "roamed" to a Chinese phone supplier as when I use my AIS phone in UK it roams to Voda or O2 which are UK phone companies. Just curious.....

It;s not surprising that AIS has a roaming partner in China.

You haven't got through with AIS but with their Chinese roaming partner "UNICOM".

Someone/sometime your 12call prepaid must have been registered for int. roaming:

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/prepaid/registration.aspx?language=en

What I still can not believe: that the number in your contact list does not have a reference to be a Thai number.

The recommended method is to store it as "+66nnnnnnnnn".

The "+" automatically does the international call.

I don't know whether there is some magic that does the trick (handle a number stored in local Thai format 08xxx, 06... as an international call).

You did NOT manually dial like "0812345678" but used and entry from the addr. book or the call log.

When you happen to be in China again then manually dial with the virtual keypad: 084 424 6489

If you then hear a friendly voice at Central World Bangkok come back to the thread and surprise me.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Assuming you have international roaming enabled, sufficient balance/expiry, a locally-capable phone and coverage, then calls to Thailand should work fine.

Looks like 19 baht/min (plus VAT).

China Mobile (call back) and China Unicom look like roaming partners, on various networks. Click on More Detail to get network specifics.

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/en/3g-prepaid/package-rate/1/Asia/18/China

I also assume the +66 prefix was required/added. (I'm not sure the local partner "knows" you want to call a number in Thailand, even though it knows who you are based on both the IMSI and IMEI.)

Edited by mtls2005

Thanks for all the help here. I checked the number it is 10 digits starting with 09 . Dialing 66 wasnot needed.Wierd huh. I used the address book. in the phone. I used the phone just like I do here in Thailand. I wish I could try again but am back now. So it appears it should not have happened,but it is possible to call if you know how to do it. My call may have been a one off. But it does show a flaw in the AIS system if this can happen right

Dialing 66 wasnot needed.Wierd huh. I used the address book. in the phone. I used the phone just like I do here in Thailand.

No, not really. This is most likely a feature of your phone, or the SIM. There would be no way for China Unicom to know what number you were calling if you selected "your wife" in your directory. So that number is stored as a Thai number so the phone knows to drop the leading "0" and add +66 if you are roaming outside of Thailand, or the SIM "knows" this. More of a feature, than a "flaw".

What is the make and model of your phone?

Edited by mtls2005

Dialing 66 wasnot needed.Wierd huh. I used the address book. in the phone. I used the phone just like I do here in Thailand.

No, not really. This is most likely a feature of your phone, or the SIM. There would be no way for China Unicom to know what number you were calling if you selected "your wife" in your directory. So that number is stored as a Thai number so the phone knows to drop the leading "0" and add +66 if you are roaming outside of Thailand, or the SIM "knows" this. More of a feature, than a "flaw".

What is the make and model of your phone?

I only know the make it is a Nokia.It is a very simple phone bought it 6 years ago for 800 baht. It is the basic mobile not even a camera.