Do I need a Thai bank account for Marriage visa?

Hi there guys I understand that I will need a Thai bank account with 400K in order to apply for the non O visa based on Marriage extention, right? How do I open the Thai bank account without a Thai employer? What would be the easiest way to do this? Or would I have to first enter the country on a tourist visa, get a job with a work permit, then open a Thai bank account and then deposit the 400K and then only apply for the marriage visa? Your advice appreciated. Thanks!

You should get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage at an embassy or consulate before entering the country.

You do not have to be working to open a bank account. You should find it easy if you have a non-o visa and you wife goes with you when you go to the bank. She can act as your reference by showing her ID card and house book or a copy of it.

After the 400k baht is in bank for 2 months you would apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage.

• Like 2

For a Non imm O Visa based on marriage you do not need any money in the bank.

For a 12 month extension based on marriage you need 400,000 in a Thai bank or 40,000 income.

You can open a bank account but you might have to try a few different ones or even different staff in the same bank.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info guys. And how about the marriage - does it need to be registered in Thailand or is it acceptable if we got married in my home country in order to apply for the non o visa?

Your foreign marriage certificate should be accepted when applying for a visa, but the marriage will have to be registered in Thailand before applying for a 1 year extension of stay.

• Like 2

I sugget you go check at krungsri bank (the yellow one) and open an account there.

They have the Savings account MEE TAE DAI that gives you 1.7% interest paid every month and accepted by the immigration. You get ATM card and online banking. You can use your money like it was a normal account.

When you keep the THB 400k 3 months before the renewal of your permit it will make a bit more than THB 1200 interest.

I've been in around 10 krungsri bank in different cities and it was every time a pleasure: no (or very short) waiting time, at least one english speaking employee always there and very friendly.

wink.png

The 400,000 Baht has to be in the bank for 2 months before application.

• Like 2

For a 12 month extension based on marriage you need 400,000 in a Thai bank or 40,000 income.

You can open a bank account but you might have to try a few different ones or even different staff in the same bank.

That would depend on where you apply. Some consulates will issue it with proof of funds , some will not.

Penang for example now require 400,000 in your bank before they will issue it.

No doubt other posters can tell you where you don't have to show money.

• Like 1

I sugget you go check at krungsri bank (the yellow one) and open an account there.

They have the Savings account MEE TAE DAI that gives you 1.7% interest paid every month and accepted by the immigration.

Interest rate has been 1.35% since the end of June, I think. Nonetheless, a good recommendation from your side, imho.

• Like 1

on a related topic....open an acct @ Bangkok Bank because they have a branch in NYC. This means you can transfer funds (and have them available quickly) from an American bank to Bangkok Bank no problems. As soon as the transfer hits the branch in NYC its reflected in your balance at your local branch.

• Like 1

That would depend on where you apply. Some consulates will issue it with proof of funds , some will not.

He was writing about a single entry non-o not a multiple entry visa. Not sure but I think Penang still does single entry visas with no financial proof or at the most 100k baht.

He was writing about a single entry non-o not a multiple entry visa. Not sure but I think Penang still does single entry visas with no financial proof or at the most 100k baht.

200.000 for single entry now according to my friend Jim in Penang.

400.000 for multiple entry.

200.000 for single entry now according to my friend Jim in Penang.

400.000 for multiple entry.

Not really sure where OP would be applying for the visa. Best to skip Penang or anywhere in Malaysia for a single entry since most other places do them with no financial proof.

You could also just go to the consulate (I use the American Embassy Consulate in Bangkok) and get an Affidavit of Income showing you receive more than 40,000 THB per month. No back account needed. In and out in 15 minutes, usually.

• Like 1

Really? Interesting. I wonder if at Vientianne in Laos they will require proof of funds...

Really? Interesting. I wonder if at Vientianne in Laos they will require proof of funds...

They will do a single entry non-o based upon marriage with no financial proof. They don't do multiple entry visas.

Savanakhet do not require any funds.

• Like 1

You could also just go to the consulate (I use the American Embassy Consulate in Bangkok) and get an Affidavit of Income showing you receive more than 40,000 THB per month. No back account needed. In and out in 15 minutes, usually.

So in other words, do you think they will accept just an affidavit just like that anywhere? I can just state that I earn say 2,000 USD $ a month equivalent to 40,000 Baht even though the salary is deposited into my foreign bank account? That would be awesome.

So in other words, do you think they will accept just an affidavit just like that anywhere? I can just state that I earn say 2,000 USD $ a month equivalent to 40,000 Baht even though the salary is deposited into my foreign bank account? That would be awesome.

It does not matter where you income is paid to or is from. You can use a income affidavit to prove the equivalent of 40k baht or more.

• Like 1

The 400,000 Baht has to be in the bank for 2 months before application.

Oops... it will make then only a bit more than THB 800 interest... anyway more than if you keep it on regular account smile.png

Interest rate has been 1.35% since the end of June, I think. Nonetheless, a good recommendation from your side, imho.

Oops... it will make a bit less than expected... but anyway just enough to invite your Mrs to have dinner whistling.gif

I update my book only 2 times per year that's the reason why I didn't know about the lower interest rate blink.png

It does not matter where you income is paid to or is from. You can use a income affidavit to prove the equivalent of 40k baht or more.

When writing the affidavit, do I need proof of my income to show the consulate or not?

When writing the affidavit, do I need proof of my income to show the consulate or not?

You need nothing but your passport and and a completed income form at the US embassy in Bangkok or the consulate in Chiang Mai.

Cool. So I assume then since I'm not from the US I'll have to go do the affidavit at the South African Embassy then. Great stuff, thanks for the advice.

Cool. So I assume then since I'm not from the US I'll have to go do the affidavit at the South African Embassy then. Great stuff, thanks for the advice.

That will be a totally different matter. You will have to ask them what they want.

• Like 1

That will be a totally different matter. You will have to ask them what they want.

I would hope that the requirements for all foreign countries are equal?

I would hope that the requirements for all foreign countries are equal?

Some are more equal than others. The U.S. Embassy does not require proof of what you state on your affidavit, since making a false declaration is a crime.

However, my embassy, Canada, requires proof in the form of bank statement showing deposits in my case, and others may have offered different proof.

Thai Immigration has been known to ask people extending their permission to stay to show back-up evidence to the affidavit.

• Like 1