Sign barring transgender intern kindles debate over toilet equality

webfact

Sign barring transgender intern kindles debate over toilet equality
By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

tra.jpg
A sign posted outside a restroom Tuesday at Radio Thailand’s offices in Bangkok. Photo: Twitter / @_Foremostt

BANGKOK — A sign at a women’s bathroom demanding it not be used by those born with another gender went viral and sparked debate online overnight.

Tweeted on Tuesday by a transgender intern at a public radio station, the photo purports to show a sign she recently discovered outside a restroom she had been using there.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/culture/net/2016/07/13/sign-barring-transgender-intern-kindles-debate-toilet-equality/

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-07-13

A sign at a women’s bathroom demanding it not be used by those born with another gender
That is not a correct translation. As the linked article states, It specifically informs 'third genders' not to use the womens' bathroom and to clearly understand this directive. It ends with a 'we are not happy' comment.
Who 'we' are is not indicated, but it sounds as if some' 'frump' has taken offence - it certainly does not look like an official sign.
Edited by simon43

The real question to be asked here is what the law says regarding usage of womens' bathrooms by persons born with XY chromosomes (don't blur the discussion with hermaphroditism).

If the law states that transgendered persons cannot use the bathroom then it should be as simple as that.

Certainly poses an interesting tri-lemma for employers, and their responsibilities regarding reasonable workplace adjustment.

post-209291-0-72320800-1468393182_thumb.

How is this handled at Bangkok University, which revised its school uniform requirements last year to accommodate transgender students (http://www.chiangraitimes.com/bangkok-university-creates-dress-code-for-transgender-students.html)?

The real question to be asked here is what the law says regarding usage of womens' bathrooms by persons born with XY chromosomes (don't blur the discussion with hermaphroditism).

If the law states that transgendered persons cannot use the bathroom then it should be as simple as that.

Sound like discrimination to me.

Let's beat the crap out of another minority group just for the hell of it

The funny thing is most if not all women's toilets are booths.. so if the transgender is dressed as a woman and acts like a woman. What's the problem? The woman in the bathroom are not going to see anything, are they?

casualbiker i am not sure of gender but you sure have a valid

point.

Let's be honest, the whole thing with the LGBT community does rise some questions about toilet usage, just practical questions. I can elaborate if some people don't understand what I mean.

Oh, here we go, please DO elaborate, because you said basically NOTHING.

It's following the letter of the law, not discrimination. If the the law should be changed then efforts should be directed there, not towards getting people to accept "Un-lawful behavior" (according to the strict letter of the law).

It's following the letter of the law, not discrimination. If the the law should be changed then efforts should be directed there, not towards getting people to accept "Un-lawful behavior" (according to the strict letter of the law).

Who said such things are codified in Thai law? Never heard of any such thing. Someone posted a sign at one public place targeting one person. That's not law.

Who said such things are codified in Thai law? Never heard of any such thing. Someone posted a sign at one public place targeting one person. That's not law.

Ugh! Before you go jumping to more conclusions I specifically asked in my original post "what the law says" regarding this issue.

I neither condemned nor condoned the sign.

Then I said "if the law states that..." then there should be no arguement. I never postulated which way the law was written.

third gender is nature's creation.

it had been taken lightly and even derisively at times

but their plight is one that requires attention recognition.

another wash room class albeit in limited numbers.

Rubbish, there is male and female there is no natural creation of a third gender

Let's be honest, the whole thing with the LGBT community does rise some questions about toilet usage, just practical questions. I can elaborate if some people don't understand what I mean.

Can you really not imagine what I mean? My best friend was born as a man but now has boobs and no dick. Her passport on the other hand says she is a man. Depending in what country she is, can you really not imagine any problems as to whether she goes to a man/woman toilet?

Here in Thailand they don't recognise 'Katoyes' officially. So depending whether someone has a dick or not, it will raise some questios at the loo, won't it?

And we better don't even start the transgender question concerning toilets.

You probably thought I was anti-LGTB, but it's the absolute opposite, I really feel for this people but just happen to see the practical problems.

If you say there aren't any of such problems then you're just blending them out.

wai2.gif

BTW my concerns come from the examples my best friend mentioned above gave me.

What a load of crap,,,If you ;; Got One ;; you go to the Mens room,,,,If you ;; Don't ;; have One, you go to the Ladies room,,,doesn't matter What Attire you are wearing,,,,Case Closed,,,,

Even better, go to the genderneutral Loo.

If available......

Can you really not imagine what I mean? My best friend was born as a man but now has boobs and no dick. Her passport on the other hand says she is a man. Depending in what country she is, can you really not imagine any problems as to whether she goes to a man/woman toilet?

Here in Thailand they don't recognise 'Katoyes' officially. So depending whether someone has a dick or not, it will raise some questios at the loo, won't it?

And we better don't even start the transgender question concerning toilets.

You probably thought I was anti-LGTB, but it's the absolute opposite, I really feel for this people but just happen to see the practical problems.

If you say there aren't any of such problems then you're just blending them out.

wai2.gif

BTW my concerns come from the examples my best friend mentioned above gave me.

Dude, I am very pro LGBTQ civil rights. But the problem with your previous post is that it indeed said absolutely nothing. Thanks for elaborating.

Edited by Jingthing