Campaign launched to urge every Thai to eat 300 eggs a year

webfact

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week , we had an article about higher egg prices because of higher demand and less production because of the heat of the last 3 to 4 months.

Now a campaign too eat even more eggs ? So even higher prices ?

As a vegetarian , eggs are my only source of animal protein ... but I stopped buying them at these prices.

I could be wrong but if the domestic egg consumption increased an average of four percent a year in the past ten years, and egg prices fluctuate "all the times (sic) depending on production," then eating more eggs—which is already happening each and every year—isn't going to solve the issue of poor production techniques...

As with all industries, people see money being made and everyone jumps on board creating a massive oversupply (eggs, rubber, cassava, palm oil, laundries, optometrists, shop-houses for rent) and then expects the government to come up with ways to make their crowded business model sustainable.

So it appears there are too many egg producers which causes frequent oversupply and huge price fluctuations, causing some less savvy producers to hit the wall. Love it or loathe it, this is how the free market is supposed to work.

It's a consequence of little accurate market research data.

I work in an industry where market research is very important and understanding trends, consumer buying habits, consumer debt, disposable income, competitors etc,, are all very important when planning your business.

But it is very difficult to get anything, and what you can get is dubious and often contradictory. Recently I paid $2,650 USD for a report from Europe that had better and more realistic information about Thailand but still not as complete as other countries.

So, whilst people don't do any sensible research you will always get this over supply, people jumping on the bandwagon and huge fluctuations in pricing.

Last week , we had an article about higher egg prices because of higher demand and less production because of the heat of the last 3 to 4 months.

As a vegetarian , eggs are my only source of animal protein ... but I stopped buying them at these prices.

Stopped buying them? They are still very cheap here, in fact apart from imported foreign food all food here is very cheap. I guess you can eat more soybeans or tofu.

According to some random online nutritionist we should consume a maximum of 300mg of cholesterol per day.

One egg (yolk) has 150-200mg.

Conclusion: don't eat more than 2 egg yolks per day. Egg whites are okay.

https://authoritynutrition.com/how-many-eggs-should-you-eat/

outdated news..

I don't know, just because a study is more recent doesn't not mean it suddenly over rides all previous studies. There could be another one next week. Best to just let them wash over you or you wouldn't eat anything.

To me it's simple, what goes in your mouth ends up on your gut and too much fatty, sugary foods is bad for you. Eat 3 sensible sized meals a day, get 30 minutes to an hour of exercise every day (I am guilty of not sticking to this enough) and everything in moderation is the way to go, this has been advice for most of my life and is still preached today.

I have never seen a study that says a little bit of something is bad for you.

Yahh! Egg is a good source of cholesterol. Good job guys, now the fat slobs that I see around everyday can add a few more eggs to their already healthy diet!

Do you think anyone will listen? They don't listen to the government when it comes to life saving advice even if it's the law, such as wearing seat belts or helmets so I don't think people are going to pay any attention to this obvious marketing campaign.

I agree, there do seem to be a lot of fat people wobbling around in Thailand, certainly more then I noticed when living in Hong Kong or China,, but then again I am not exactly Mr Super Slim, have too much beef around the middle (but not the like the big obese I see here).

I have a question to all of you who are complaining about eating an egg a day... how much alcohol do you consume a day?!

Let them complain.. a day without complaining and putting down Thais is a lost day for some of those types. They need to feel important and all knowing even thought their ideas are based on old research and the Thais clearly keep up with research (those in the article) and they don't.

My dad ate less then 1 egg a week for all his life, he also heard the same nonsense. Now he regrets it.

But Thai eat far less meat as farang in Western countries, in that case you can eat more eggs.

I was taught at school that ALL men should eat 2500 calories (or was it KJ?) every day, no matter how tall they are or what they do all day. Such a nonsense.

But how many eggs are there in a big portion of kao pad in a BKK restaurant. I can easy eat a big plate which is enough rice for 4 Thai but i wonder how many eggs are in it.

According to some random online nutritionist we should consume a maximum of 300mg of cholesterol per day.

One egg (yolk) has 150-200mg.

Conclusion: don't eat more than 2 egg yolks per day. Egg whites are okay.

https://authoritynutrition.com/how-many-eggs-should-you-eat/

outdated news..

I don't know, just because a study is more recent doesn't not mean it suddenly over rides all previous studies. There could be another one next week. Best to just let them wash over you or you wouldn't eat anything.

To me it's simple, what goes in your mouth ends up on your gut and too much fatty, sugary foods is bad for you. Eat 3 sensible sized meals a day, get 30 minutes to an hour of exercise every day (I am guilty of not sticking to this enough) and everything in moderation is the way to go, this has been advice for most of my life and is still preached today.

I have never seen a study that says a little bit of something is bad for you.

There have been plenty of new studies that override that old one.. plus i have been eating loads of eggs and have regular cholesterol tests and they are always great. I take nothing for granted, i just do blood test to be sure.

What prices.. i pay 125 baht for 30 large eggs (largest size available) I don't think that is expensive. This was just a few days ago. I buy them at the local market.

Seeing as I only eat maybe 10 per YEAR, somebody is going to have to step up and eat 600 to keep the stats up.

I think you probably eat more than you think. Eggs are included in ingredients of many things such as:

Cakes,

Breaded and batter fried foods

Caesar Salad dressing

Cream pies, and cream fillings

Crepes, pancakes and waffles

Ice Cream, custard, puddings

Coffee drinks like Cappuccino (eggs in the froth)

Mayonnaise

Meat loaf, meatballs,

Pastas,

Sauces

Some soups,

And even WINE.. egg whites are sometimes used in the wine making process.

A note to other posters about eggs and constipation.... this is a myth.. eggs do not cause constipation. The cause of constipation is a diet low in fibre.

Also, concerning cholesterol, your body produces 4 times more cholesterol that you eat, and a diet low in cholesterol makes you body produced more!!! Its also been found that people with low levels of cholesterol are just as likely to have heart attacks as people with high levels.

Look up 'the cholesterol myth' on the net. Makes for an interesting read.

Just to claify a point for some people who obviously arent clear on this.

There are differant types of cholestrol, medically refered to as Good and Bad cholestrol, the body requires a certain amount of Good cholestrol, and it is the Bad cholestrol which causes the probelem of blocked arteries which in term affect hearts etc. It is now confirmed that cholestrol in eggs is actually classified as Good cholestrol, and does NOT cause blocked arteries.

Therefore, feel free to eat as many eggs as you like. As a side point, it is actually healthier to eat fried eggs than scrambled eggs, since eggs do not absorb the fats they may be cooked in, but, when using butter etc to cook scrambled eggs, this will contain all the fat they are cooked in.

I think eggs will be a much safer bet than many other things we stuff down our throats !!!

How about 300 bottles of beer a year minimum, good for the beer industry. Yeah yeah, I know there are already many out there doing that number PLUS a year, so it's only aimed at the non / low beer consumption people.

So the Thais aren't very clever and don't know history very well,

if they did they would know about EASTER, so coming from a

catholic family with a '' very catholic mother '' we had to stock

up on fish and eat fish through the Easter break, ok, you do

what your mum tells you to do,,, so years later i'm watching a tv

show on Discovery that said the fishmongers in Jerusalem weren't

selling much fish so they made the whole thing up to sell more fish,

what a great scam, still going 2000 years later,,, NOW,,, if the Thai

egg farmers linked the eggs with lets say, ghosts or winning the lottery,

they would be squeezing eggs out of the chickens bums faster than

you could blink,,, they are not very smart, remember, the jews did it

2000 years ago, they haven't learn't anything.

It's no wonder there are many mystery deaths here, most of which are just put down to 'Heart Failure'. When you see how much Sugar, MSG, Sticky Rice and Eggs they consume on a daily basis plus all the beer swilling, Lao Khao consumption and heavy smoking there are bound to be plenty of premature deaths.

Never mind; as long as the rich can keep getting richer the poor can just die !

How ridiculous to give out the instruction to eat so many eggs. Next they'll say it plenty of salt on your food.

Eggs are no longer classified as a sin food like they used to be. And surprisingly, neither is salt. The new guidelines say if you have a healthy heart which most do is not to worry about salt intake; it's inconsequential. So many reversals in our lifetime. I'm convinced we really don't know that much about nutrition so have what you want, enjoy and don't worry about it.

Egg is Life, egg is good

Missus always dumps the yolk, so I manage to get double up yolk - yay

salt is needed for life, but...

sea salt, from which table salt comes from is damaging, not from it's chemical make up, but because of it's physical structure, the cyrystilline structure of refined salt, which tears your arteries apart once it enters your bloodstream.

SeaSalt also coming from the ocean, brings all those heavy metals to your table

Himalaya Rock Salt, from the mines in the mountains is good

The only ones who don't want you to eat your eggs, and milk - are the BigPharma, who want you to stay sick from eating all the other rubbish - and buy their medicines.

Oh Yeah, I hope the Thais don't get their eggs from China...