Eastern and Southern Thai provinces brace for heavy rains

webfact

Eastern and Southern provinces brace for heavy rains

BANGKOK, 14 July 2016 (NNT) – The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) has reported heavy rains in may areas with river banks overflowing in Phitsanulok and Surat Thani, while officials have been dispatched to closely monitor the situation.

The DDPM Director-General Chatchai Promlert has revealed 525 households in Phitsanulok Province are affected from the Kwae Noi River's, which has swelled and overflowed its riverbanks. Although heavy rains are weakening into showers and the precipitation level has started to go down, flooding still persists in some lowland and cultivation areas. 479 households in Surat Thani Province are also affected from a similar situation.

In this matter, the DDPM has joined hands with the military and the related agencies to measure the damage in the area, deploying officials and machineries to assist the affected public.

According to the Meteorological Department, heavy rains will continue to persist in Chanthaburi, Trat, Ranong, Phang Nga, and Phuket. The DDPM has already notified the affected provinces to closely monitor the situation and inform local people living at lowlands, mountain base, and water flow areas, to be aware of the dangers from flash floods or landslides. Local authorities have all been ordered to have a fast-response unit on standby to provide immediate assistance.

The affected public can request for assistance by calling the 1784 24-hour hotline.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-07-14 footer_n.gif

We already had heavy rain last night in Pattaya , it lasted longer than usual and caused flooding . Maybe we have to get used to it for the next days. I can't remember when it was so much rain in July last time .

Ignoring the South and the oddities of recent drought, most of Thailand's rainy season usually is heaviest in August and September and sometimes even drags into October. So this could be just the beginning. I want it to keep a comin'.

More bloody rain. Anyone here still 'loving it'? First few months of blistering heat and now this. Stuck in the bloody house months on end. nyone still denying climate change?

Stuck in the house. Do you live in the middle of a river then? We're in the tropics. What did you expect exactly?

"... officials have been dispatched to closely monitor the situation."

It's NEVER:: "Officials have been sequestered to create plans and procedures in order to prepare for future heavy rains".

Every year it's the same. "Did you see? It's raining just like every year in the past, and everywhere it's flooding".

More bloody rain. Anyone here still 'loving it'? First few months of blistering heat and now this. Stuck in the bloody house months on end. nyone still denying climate change?

And Thailand hans't always had a "hot season" and a "wet season" and "flooding"?

We already had heavy rain last night in Pattaya , it lasted longer than usual and caused flooding . Maybe we have to get used to it for the next days. I can't remember when it was so much rain in July last time .

Probably 2011. We are having a decent start to the monsoon this year for the first time since then.

And Thailand hans't always had a "hot season" and a "wet season" and "flooding"?

This is merely what used to be normal for Thalland. The land needs water. Stop moaning.

Every year , I pray for an early start for the monsoon. I also pray for more than needed. Since it is impossible to get the exact correct amount of rain, I would rather a bit more than a bit less. Thailand has been suffering mightily because of drought and near-drought conditions in many provinces over the last few years. In any event....I absolutely LOVE the rain.

Drought. followed by severe flooding was predicted last year for Thailand this year, it isn't new knowledge.

Winnie

Reminds me of southern California. Every year, dry, hot and fires. Then come the rains and mudslides.. They bitch about it every year knowing it is normal

As Johnny Carson used to say we need the earlthquakes to make the mudlslides to put out the fires.

The DDPM Director-General Chatchai Promlert has revealed 525 households in Phitsanulok Province are affected from the Kwae Noi River's, which has swelled and overflowed its riverbanks.

I cannot see the connection between these two, can you?blink.png

The DDPM Director-General Chatchai Promlert has revealed 525 households in Phitsanulok Province are affected from the Kwae Noi River's, which has swelled and overflowed its riverbanks.

There's a Kwae Noi River in Phitsanulok as well as another in Kanchanaburi.

There's a Kwae Noi River in Phitsanulok as well as another in Kanchanaburi.

Thank you for that, just learned something new. I always thought the Nan was the main river, but then P'Lok is a large province.thumbsup.gif