Question regarding baht buses

BaldPlumber

I've only ever used the baht bus from Jomtien beach to Pattaya 2nd road and have no idea how the other baht bus routes work

I've seen baht buses on the sukhamvit and I assume that they also run on Threpasit, Pattaya tai etc.

Can someone explain, if I wanted to go to somewhere further north than the dolphin roundabout via the sukhamvit road, from say, Pattaya tai what the procedure is?

For instance, are there stops like for normal buses? Is it still 10 baht etc

Many thanks

BP: Some; though not all; busses going along 2nd road go right at dolphin roundabout and head up to Naklua. Ask before boarding. "Naklua?" suffices. The bus will stop when you ring the bell - so anywhere you like. Price 10 Baht, regardless of distance. I hope others can give you advice on other routes.

Jingthing is the baht bus guru. I'm sure he will be along in due course, with route advice and his indispensable etiquette guidelines. Oh yes, there are etiquette guidelines.

Sukhumwit baht buses are white and the fare is 10 baht. No set stops. Just hail the buses to get on and ring to get off.

Pattaya Tai cross town baht bus service limited.

Thepprasit cross town baht bus service more limited.

Coming from Jomtien, if you go north of Pattaya Klang, 20 baht is often expected.

If you want to go into Naklua from Jomtien, you could get off at Pattaya Tai and take one of the queue buses from there, which will go far into Naklua. Both fares 10 baht.

Generally avoid speaking to the drivers. Asking questions may cause a misunderstanding that you are hiring a charter.

The majority of drivers behave within acceptable standards of civility and safety. You will know when you encounter those that don't. Avoid conflict.

10 bahts

So much? OMG! I used to pay 5 and keep the return 5 for the dinner tip to my favorite waitress. :-) Just kidding......Have a nice day in paradise. MS>

If you haggle maybe you can still get them down

to 5 baht...

Or say you only have 5 baht unless he can break

a 1,000...lol

Seriously? Only one person on this forum had any idea about how baht buses work?

That's because the drivers do everything to suit themselves, they are not interested in you except where money is concerned.

You're welcome.

I forget to add, it's better to give them the 10 baht in exact change.

Many people also think it's best to get them to stop a bit AFTER your intended stop and not to make eye contact while paying. They are not likely to back up the truck, wink wink nod nod.

For some rides where they would generally accept a 10 baht coin, they may try force a higher payment if you give them 20 or more.

You can't entirely blame them. It's a grey area system but no need to make it easier for them to try things on.

What I mean by that is that the standard fare is 10 baht but "long rides" are 20 baht but long rides are not defined anywhere. I have seen people give them 100 and not expect change. They must love tourists!

Edited by Jingthing

Any baht bus will take you where u want to go......For the other routes, the ones we see in the middle of nowhere. They are the ones people have paid to take them places. If they look full and look they are on a route. The only way you will ever sauce thru it. Is if your with a thai who asks another thai, a potential passanger, not a driver how to do it. A driver will just see an extended fair. These off routes often only exist in demand.They are not in a set line.

10 bahts

So much? OMG! I used to pay 5 and keep the return 5 for the dinner tip to my favorite waitress. :-) Just kidding......Have a nice day in paradise. MS>

If you haggle maybe you can still get them down

to 5 baht...

Or say you only have 5 baht unless he can break

a 1,000...lol

1,000 Baht is a lot to pay for a short ride.

Most songthauws running along 2nd rd turn west to the beach @ Pattaya Nui/North Rd. If you are going to Naklui buzz off and walk across to Naklui Rd and either another will be at the stand or along shortly. The stand in front of Best Foods is heading east to Sukhumvit.

If you are going along Sukhumvit within Pattaya City there are also light blue buses. Vans, 15 passenger, may also stop for you on Hwy3/Sukhumvit. Tell them were you are going and they will quote you a price. Usually 20-30baht within the city.