Fishermans Village Transformation

Boltd

"Fisherman's Village" means there is only one fisherman (I can't believe I have to explain my sarcasm of last post... :o ).

It's not very gentleman like to 'enjoy' sarcasm because someone made a language/writing error.

Many of us, including me, being a non-native English speaking/writing human being, make errors and mistakes.

That doesn't mean others, like yourself being the perfect one, can post answers with sarcasm just to enjoy themselves and put others to shame.

Not very chique !

LaoPo

"Fisherman's Village" means there is only one fisherman (I can't believe I have to explain my sarcasm of last post... :o ).

Not everyone on the board is a native English speaker, something to bear in mind for future posts.

I've found the whistling smilie conveys irony or sarcasm when the written word may not do so as effectively.

This place is getting built up fast!

what are they going to do about traffic and parking?

The same as the rest of Samui, not a lot :o:D

The Parking is the biggest problem..

I went for an Indina last week, parked my Bike in an area oppsite the Restaraunt down an Alley when a Thai Lady from a Shop told me i couldn't park there, " why not ? " i asked " can not park there, can not park there " she replied. " It's not your road is it ? " i asked her.

Yes, it is her Road

I went for an Indina last week, parked my Bike in an area oppsite the Restaraunt down an Alley when a Thai Lady from a Shop told me i couldn't park there, " why not ? " i asked " can not park there, can not park there " she replied. " It's not your road is it ? " i asked her.

Yes, it is her Road

Enough already, Now lets get back to the subject on hand.

Stop all the bitchin

I went for an Indina last week, parked my Bike in an area oppsite the Restaraunt down an Alley when a Thai Lady from a Shop told me i couldn't park there, " why not ? " i asked " can not park there, can not park there " she replied. " It's not your road is it ? " i asked her. " Motorbike too noisy. Make much noise " was her Neanderthaolic pathetic reply to a Parked Motorbike !!

Awful Human Being she was.

****edited for racist comments against forum rules****

It should have read..

*** EDITED FOR STATING THE TRUTH AGAINST THAI PEOPLE WHICH IS NOT ALLOWED IN THAILAND ***

I went for an Indina last week, parked my Bike in an area oppsite the Restaraunt down an Alley when a Thai Lady from a Shop told me i couldn't park there, " why not ? " i asked " can not park there, can not park there " she replied. " It's not your road is it ? " i asked her. " Motorbike too noisy. Make much noise " was her Neanderthaolic pathetic reply to a Parked Motorbike !!

Awful Human Being she was.

****edited for racist comments against forum rules****

It should have read..

*** EDITED FOR STATING THE TRUTH AGAINST THAI PEOPLE WHICH IS NOT ALLOWED IN THAILAND ***

My Thai wife was not too impressed with your assesment of Thai people. I read it to her before it was edited. I suggest you get to know a few. Lovely people when you take the effort to get to know them.

Yup Fisherman village is changing as is the rest of Samui and other islands in the Gulf of Thailand.

Still we ALL have a choice the world is a big place (as is Thailand).

Any how this picture is of a proper beach side development to full western standards,The picture was taken whilst running to avoid being mugged by the delightful fans of Canvey Football club. :o

post-18852-1164428386_thumb.jpg

As a resident of Fishermans Village and having lived on Samui for 20 years next July, I would like to say that I think it's probably the best place , or nicest rather, on the island. The building around me makes one hel_l of a racket at various stages of the construction, but at least when it's finished it'll be nice and quiet as they can't build any more in my immediate vicinity. The place still has a lot of character even with the new buildings and has a great atmosphere in the evenings, with bars and restaurants owned by people of several nationalities which gives a nice cosmopolitan feel. The other great thing about it is there are no Bar girls....sorry, no girly bars, which is indeed a wonderful thing.

As a resident of Fishermans Village and having lived on Samui for 20 years next July, I would like to say that I think it's probably the best place , or nicest rather, on the island. The building around me makes one hel_l of a racket at various stages of the construction, but at least when it's finished it'll be nice and quiet as they can't build any more in my immediate vicinity. The place still has a lot of character even with the new buildings and has a great atmosphere in the evenings, with bars and restaurants owned by people of several nationalities which gives a nice cosmopolitan feel. The other great thing about it is there are no Bar girls....sorry, no girly bars, which is indeed a wonderful thing.

i agree withyou that it is one of the few tolerable, even pleasant areas on the island and i am well aquainted with a number of the restaurant and bar owners there. It has all started going somewhat pear shaped of late though now where near as bad as the rest samui.

it aint cheap either.

i agree withyou that it is one of the few tolerable, even pleasant areas on the island and i am well aquainted with a number of the restaurant and bar owners there. It has all started going somewhat pear shaped of late though now where near as bad as the rest samui.

it aint cheap either.

How I agree, guys, good things always seem to go down hill. The lesson to be learned is not to tell others of a great place (a bit egoistic) since they can't help but tell others and there lies the coming doom of too many tourists screwing it up for the rest of us. Reminds me of Sabang in the PIs, you should see it now!

And T.C. watch your head when going and coming in and out of pubs, etc.

Cheers guys & gals, and enjoy it while it lasts!(Fishermans Village, that is)

it aint cheap either.

it aint cheap either.

I think the prices are a little higher than Maenam for instance, but it's worth it for the comfort factor....The rents are high too, so that also has a bearing. I do believe there will be some cheaper places to eat in the very near future....well, there already are, like Johnny's caff and the beatles bar, but that's because their contracts were negotiated some time ago whren the locals weren't asking silly money for the leases. The new French place, Jac (if you can decipher the sign) is really dear, and is probably the worst value for money I've ever seen on Samui. Their grub ain't good either, but the tourists who come here don't know any better, so they'll probably do ok. I would say the Shack is the best place to eat, if you can get a table, and now the Billabong has taken on a new lease of life now that a certain individual has been got rid of. As for the Live music, which is free by the way, Billabong and Beatles Bar are definately better than anywhere else on the island, including Coco's, becouse the quality is great and the prices are extremely reasonable for what you get. Fishermans Village still rocks for me....Who needs seedy Chaweng, cheap charlie Maenam, or dirty bangrak? As for Lamai, haven't been there in years, so can't comment on that. What's your beef about Fishermans Village? Maybe we can improve it if we know what you don't like about it...

Steve,

Seedy Chaweng?

Cheap Charlie Maenam?

Dirty Bangrak?

Got out of the bed with the wrong foot or did another family member get shot today?

Just an opinion mate...didn't mean to hurt your feelings!! LOL

Edited by steverino

Steve,

Is it still a French enclave down there in Bophud?

Not any more...very cosmopolitan now, but a lot of local Brits who are quite OK. There are American, French, Italian, English, German and Irish bars and restaurants now, which is nice. Not all of them announce thermselves as such, which is good too. I always got the idea that if someone calls themselves a British or French bar/pub then it kind of hints that they don't want any other nationality in their place....sometimes talking to foreigners in a non native language can be tiring, and some owners don't want to make the effort. Kind of silly really as there must be others who think like me, and it puts me off going in if they label themselves with a national ID. I've seen a lot of places over the years saying "under German Management" for example, or other nationalities too. Obviously there are some exeptions....I mean everyone's welcome in an Italian Restaurant. They don't care where their customers come from.

it aint cheap either.

I think the prices are a little higher than Maenam for instance, but it's worth it for the comfort factor....The rents are high too, so that also has a bearing. I do believe there will be some cheaper places to eat in the very near future....well, there already are, like Johnny's caff and the beatles bar, but that's because their contracts were negotiated some time ago whren the locals weren't asking silly money for the leases. The new French place, Jac (if you can decipher the sign) is really dear, and is probably the worst value for money I've ever seen on Samui. Their grub ain't good either, but the tourists who come here don't know any better, so they'll probably do ok. I would say the Shack is the best place to eat, if you can get a table, and now the Billabong has taken on a new lease of life now that a certain individual has been got rid of. As for the Live music, which is free by the way, Billabong and Beatles Bar are definately better than anywhere else on the island, including Coco's, becouse the quality is great and the prices are extremely reasonable for what you get. Fishermans Village still rocks for me....Who needs seedy Chaweng, cheap charlie Maenam, or dirty bangrak? As for Lamai, haven't been there in years, so can't comment on that. What's your beef about Fishermans Village? Maybe we can improve it if we know what you don't like about it...

not a beef really, more of a lament. i started going down there regularly about 4 or 5 years, staying at either the lodge of the apartment over what was Angelas. Moving between KPG and bangkok often, Bophut was a nic transition between the two.

I jus feel the thai sense of community is being swept under the rug. It is not so common to see the family gahtering in the main room of the shophouse wearing their sarongs, eating sleeping or watching loud tv.

the village is being sterilised with he influx of newer "lowrise" buildings, as the heritage goes, rents rise. i think the village will need to tread a very fine line to retain its charm. the appeal is not something that can be recreated after it is gone.

That said, the lodge must be the best value on the island, larry is a good friend, and i look forward to the reborn shack, marios mussels in garlic are wonderful.

i think one of the best giow nam moo dengs available in thailand is just across from the 7-11

Another thing about the village is its intimacy. this can be good or bad, once you know people, you get caught up in the mania that seems to sweep the area. generally they are great folks, though there is a darkside to living in holidayland.

All said, though it is a good place and i do go back regularly

• 2 years later...
i particularly like the demolishing of the big old wooden thai house on the shore near the little square and its replacement .

a 4 story concrete box that encroaches on the square and cuts out all the light to the street.

tastefully done. fits in nicely.

I totally agree.. What a disgrace!! Worse still is the resort at the other end...

They have chopped down EVERY SINGLE TREE in front of them and diverted the road behind them.

I dont see how they can get away with it.. Those trees have been there for hundreds of years..

The resort looks crap too! :)

Mark Wolfe:

"Fisherman's Village" means there is only one fisherman (I can't believe I have to explain my sarcasm of last post... ).

SBK:

Not everyone on the board is a native English speaker, something to bear in mind for future posts.

Sigh...I was commenting on the SIGN at the entry pronouncing it "Fisherman's Village," NOT anyone's post. Interesting how everyone gets defensive before considering what I was actually talking about.

Steverino:

The other great thing about it is there are no Bar girls....sorry, no girly bars, which is indeed a wonderful thing.

That statement sits nicely next to your avatar of the jiggling jugs of the dancing girl in the bikini.

As for Fisherman's Village, I always thought it a nice place, but nothing even remotely special. Just a row of beachfront restaurants, basically. They look nice, though.

The last time I was there was about a month ago in the afternoon. I was sort of looking for a spot to sit and contemplate my navel and wandered into one of the ubiquitous places to see what it looked like (I wanted a comfy chair). There was no one else in the bar and the Thai woman (owner?) came up and said: "Do you want something to drink?" And I replied, "I don't know." To which she made a foul face and said, "Then why did you come in here?!"

I almost said, "Because I saw your face and the monkey wants it's bum back."

I should have said I was checking it out for my party of 20 millionaire regatta fans who were looking for a place to chill later and that her surly attitude just cost her big time. The fact is that she didn't know that I wasn't doing just that. Maybe she's just the one bad apple, but it didn't wow me into wanting to drive all the way back there any time soon.

You can have a nice looking restaurant, but if the staff are pigs, then the place is still a pigsty.

Mark Wolfe:
"Fisherman's Village" means there is only one fisherman (I can't believe I have to explain my sarcasm of last post... ).

SBK:

Sigh...I was commenting on the SIGN at the entry pronouncing it "Fisherman's Village," NOT anyone's post. Interesting how everyone gets defensive before considering what I was actually talking about.

Steverino:

The other great thing about it is there are no Bar girls....sorry, no girly bars, which is indeed a wonderful thing.

That statement sits nicely next to your avatar of the jiggling jugs of the dancing girl in the bikini.

As for Fisherman's Village, I always thought it a nice place, but nothing even remotely special. Just a row of beachfront restaurants, basically. They look nice, though.

The last time I was there was about a month ago in the afternoon. I was sort of looking for a spot to sit and contemplate my navel and wandered into one of the ubiquitous places to see what it looked like (I wanted a comfy chair). There was no one else in the bar and the Thai woman (owner?) came up and said: "Do you want something to drink?" And I replied, "I don't know." To which she made a foul face and said, "Then why did you come in here?!"

I almost said, "Because I saw your face and the monkey wants it's bum back."

I should have said I was checking it out for my party of 20 millionaire regatta fans who were looking for a place to chill later and that her surly attitude just cost her big time. The fact is that she didn't know that I wasn't doing just that. Maybe she's just the one bad apple, but it didn't wow me into wanting to drive all the way back there any time soon.

You can have a nice looking restaurant, but if the staff are pigs, then the place is still a pigsty.

Just out of interest, where did you and your 20 millionaire regatta fans end up that night then? Lamai? :)