Five-day holiday starts tomorrow, government expects big baht to be spent

snoop1130

Five-day holiday starts tomorrow, government expects big baht to be spent
By Coconuts Bangkok

14317890968_9814f195b1_z.jpg
Photo: Lutz/Flickr

BANGKOK -- Since the government declared July 18 a public holiday, most workers in the country are looking forward to enjoying a five-day holiday, starting tomorrow and lasting through Asarnha Bucha Day on July 19 and Buddhist Lent Day on the 20th.

According to the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), 2.44 million thais will be taking domestic vacations for some rest and relaxation over the next five days. The total spending on tourism, by Thais and foreigners, is expected to reach THB19.7 billion, up 28 percent from the holiday last year.

Of that figure, THB12 billion is expected to come from foreign tourists while THB7.7 billion will be from domestic tourists.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/07/14/five-day-holiday-starts-tomorrow-government-expects-big-baht-be-spent

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-07-14

Money from tourists who live and earn the money they spend in Thailand, is not, in my opinion, income, it's redistribution, though to be fair, the article doesn't call it income.

TAT does though, frequently inflating tourism income by adding what Thais spend in Thailand.

Win

Edited by Winniedapu

The only problem is the the 'big Baht' comes from businesses that are suffering. Adding to their suffering are all these commercially illiterate generals who keep calling five day holidays for sundry reasons, almost on a monthly basis.

Edited by dbrenn

"...According to the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), 2.44 million Thais will be taking domestic vacations for some rest and relaxation over the next five days. The total spending on tourism, by Thais and foreigners, is expected to reach THB19.7 billion, up 28 percent from the holiday last year..."

Once, just once, I would like to see a follow-up report that details what was actually achieved (and whether it met expectations)!

Better still, I would really love to read that a Director General (or other spokesperson) was being held to account (and moved to an inactive post) because his/her outlandish forecast failed to materialise.

5 day holiday.

My bet is a total of 283 road deaths.

I'm going to bet 462 deaths as there doesn't seem to be a campaign on this time.

I find when they have a campaign the death toll is usually substantially higher.

I will still to my 283.

Winner buys the loser a beer.

5 day holiday.

I'm going to bet 462 deaths as there doesn't seem to be a campaign on this time.

I find when they have a campaign the death toll is usually substantially higher.

I will still to my 283.

Winner buys the loser a beer

you're probably right aye....beer it is...bring on the death

Money from tourists who live and earn the money they spend in Thailand, is not, in my opinion, income, it's redistribution, though to be fair, the article doesn't call it income.

TAT does though, frequently inflating tourism income by adding what Thais spend in Thailand.

Win

Bankers have never been more generous in lending out money. Holiday money is like helicopter money almost interest free. Fly now pay a little later.

Well they will not be getting any of 19.7 billion baht from me.

I will be at home spending my time on TV winding up other members.

Yes i am a boring old bugger. I said it before someone else does.

How is that any different than any other day of the week?

government expects big baht to be spent

No doubt about that, go take a look at the supermarkets in the past few months, and you see how big Baht are spend.

When I walk into big C these days it feels as if someone has died.

government expects big baht to be spent

No doubt about that, go take a look at the supermarkets in the past few months, and you see how big Baht are spend.

You mean people are flocking there to get free food and take home a doggie bag full? blink.png

Edited by Pimay1

Why do they need all these holidays to let the locals travel? How about just developing some workers rights instead and they would have a least a couple weeks paid leave each year to travel and it wouldn't all be happening at once.

These long holidays are <deleted>. Stuck behind parades and things a number of times trying to get to work this morning.

5 day holiday.

Well, that's actually a pretty safe bet since Thailand averages over 60 a day -- year round. The talk of road carnage and increased traffic fatalities during holidays is just sensationalism. Thais are incredibly bad, careless and impaired drivers 365 days a year.

Are other countries going to become cool about doing business with Thailand, not knowing what standard business days will suddenly be declared a bank holiday?

Edited by Inn Between