The "Black" box add on TV

elgordo38

I have a couple of Android boxes. Both came with 4.2 Android and I was able to update via the factory website.

Update to what?

Stable Kodi 17 isn't available yet, when it becomes available a Android 4.2 box will not be able to install it, and a few months later addon developers will stop supporting Kodi 16 same as most of them since several months don't support Kodi 15.2.

At that point your box will become a paper weight.

I'm still using XBMC 12.3 Frodo final on my PC and Raspberry Pi they aren't paper weights yet...whats the fascination with having to run the very latest update ? ( along with the latest bugs ) ..if it aint broke don't fix it thumbsup.gif

I have a couple of Android boxes. Both came with 4.2 Android and I was able to update via the factory website.

Update to what?

Stable Kodi 17 isn't available yet, when it becomes available a Android 4.2 box will not be able to install it, and a few months later addon developers will stop supporting Kodi 16 same as most of them since several months don't support Kodi 15.2.

At that point your box will become a paper weight.

I'm still using XBMC 12.3 Frodo final on my PC and Raspberry Pi they aren't paper weights yet...whats the fascination with having to run the very latest update ? ( along with the latest bugs ) ..if it aint broke don't fix it thumbsup.gif

Because developers write there addons to comply with a certain version of Kodi, and they move on with the newest version.

If you now even have installed Kodi 15.2 you will get numerous pop ups that say something in the line of " dependencies for this addon were not met, do you want to disable this addon", this is because the Kodi developers make changes to their source code with every release.

This of course doesn't happen if you don't have automatic updates enabled. It doesn't mean that the addons will stop working right away, but certain function will not work as expected.

I'm actually surprised that much addons still work on a version as old as XBMC 12.3

With Kodi 17 they even went a step further and removed much of the code used in earlier version, so addons developed for Kodi 17 will definitely not work on earlier versions, and Kodi 17 can not be installed on version of Android prior to 5.0.

https://kodi.tv/kodi-v17-krypton-alpha-2/

Android 5.0 Lollipop (or later) as minimum

Over the years the Android platform started to mature and catch up to the other platforms regarding capabilities. This also means that we can drop all the custom code we had to add in the beginning to get Kodi running at all as that’s now becoming obsolete. One of those from back in the days was libStageFright which we dropped in a previous release and was replaced by the standard MediaCodec from Android. With v17 we have started to clean up all the old implementations which sadly also means we had to set the minimum Android version to at least 5.0 Lollipop. It’s uncertain at this time if we even hove to go higher and set minimum to Android 6.0 Marshmallow as this contains certain features we need to improve Kodi. For now you are safe if you at least have Android 5.0 Don’t worry you can keep using Kodi v16 on all previous Android versions however you just can upgrade to a newer Kodi version.

When I first started with XBMC on the original Xbox, I tried loads of addons most of which never worked or broke very quickly

this trend continued until I got a Raspberry Pi and installed version 12 ( at that time the newest version )

addons kept breaking so I decided to just stick with 1 for streaming that being PVR IPTV simple client with a homebrew playlist and EPG

for the Filmon channels + a few Thai channels.

Movies and series are played back from my network server through XBMC.

post-2109-0-43404300-1468914411_thumb.jp

post-2109-0-41373400-1468914886_thumb.jp

Edited by johng

When I first started with XBMC on the original Xbox, I tried loads of addons most of which never worked or broke very quickly

this trend continued until I got a Raspberry Pi and installed version 12 ( at that time the newest version )

addons kept breaking so I decided to just stick with 1 for streaming that being PVR IPTV simple client with a homebrew playlist and EPG

attachicon.gifxbmc simple.jpg

That explains why your XBMC 12.3 is not redundant yet, because you don't use it for the same purpose as the majority of Kodi users.

These days the major addons are auto updated almost daily, because the links break, and without an update they would stop working in no time. I tend to believe that in the early days updates weren't that frequent.

I also notice that the Fimon addon is rarely updated, probably because it uses legal free to air streams only, while the majority of popular addons uses illegal streams that are cut off daily.

Edited by Berty100

attachicon.gifxbmc simple.jpg

attachicon.giflatest movies.jpg

Looks like it's Setup and doing what you want.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

But there is an amazing amount of content out there you are not getting.

Latest version of kodi with exodus and salt add-ons,

That explains why your XBMC 12.3 is not redundant yet, because you don't use it for the same purpose as the majority of Kodi users.

Yes I agree with you on that.

But there is an amazing amount of content out there you are not getting.

Latest version of kodi with exodus and salt add-ons,

I'm not sure what I'm missing...no interest in sports

if the internet goes down Ive got 1222 movies and 69 TV shows (1679 episodes ) stored on NAS server to watch + added bonus absolutely no buffering.

Yes, I tend to agree. I have a hardrive full of movies etc.

But I get obsessive, lol

If it's out there and I can get it for free,I want it,lol

Same here, I have 16Tb full of Hd movies and over 200.000 songs all tagged and cataloged.

Build a server and everything for it, all together must have cost me 70K, but never used it laugh.png

I bought an Android box from the U.S fully loaded.with Kodi as someone pointed out simple to install Kodi and do ad dons, Google is your friend

ilimeHD has had issues for me also. Even the local English buffering and I have a solid 100 mb download. They keep removing local English content and replacing it with British channels only,about to cancel for good. They only care about sports freaks and Brits let them have those guys