Kasikorn Bank requires laptop be registered to access abroad account abroad

I have a Kasikorn Visa Debit Card which in the past I have used regularly both in Thailand and abroad.

Now abroad and I tried to access my account via laptop and access denied.

Bank have now advised me that to access my account whilst abroad the computer/laptop used must be "registered".

Have any member experienced this?

I just logged in now and got the register message. Worrying! Anyhow, there is a button that says "Process to K-Cyber banking" that takes me into my account.

Hope that works for you.

I just logged in now and got the register message. Worrying! Anyhow, there is a button that says "Process to K-Cyber banking" that takes me into my account.

Hope that works for you.

That "Register" message is nothing to do with being overseas. It's to encourage you to register for the government's new e-payment system which allows them, Big Brother-like, to track your income and outgoings and make sure you pay enough tax.

Oxx, indeed, very worrying. They even require you to register your phone or something, not the number but the actual device?

Last week at immigration i got a new form, asking for facebook, line ID etc.

I think this country is taking it a bit too far.

+1, this relates to the new country-wide payment system, which is available only to Thai citizens AFAIK.

And it uses mobile devices (smartphones).

I'm in Europe now and I've logged into my KBANK account on my usual computer without any problem.

I would be in serious trouble if they decided to limit access to K-Cyber Banking from abroad.

Oxx, indeed, very worrying. They even require you to register your phone or something, not the number but the actual device?

No, it's actually the 'phone number that needs to be registered.

Not really worrying - at least for now. Registering is optional. Some banks (e.g. Krung Sri) won't even allow non-Thais to register.

Whilst the junta has the objective of making Thailand a cashless society, to be honest, I can't see that working when they seemingly haven't thought about how they will deal with tourists, immigrant workers (legal and illegal) who don't have bank accounts, and, indeed, poor Thai people who don't have bank accounts.

As far as I know, not a single country in the world has gone cashless, and I don't expect Thailand to be doing so anywhere near the head of the pack.

For me the "very worrying" part is that the system appears to have been designed and built in Thailand, so I would be very dubious about the quality of design, security and execution. I won't be signing up any time soon.

Incidentally, the Bank of Thailand yesterday said it wasn't going to be responsible for any loss if there were problems with your mobile 'phone. (Bangkok Post bank source, so I can't post link.) I guess that means they are aware of serious deficiencies in the software and are trying to cover their backs.

This is a screen shot.

I've been getting that from Bangkok Bank also for a while now.

As I wrote before "That "Register" message is nothing to do with being overseas. It's to encourage you to register for the government's new e-payment system which allows them, Big Brother-like, to track your income and outgoings and make sure you pay enough tax."

In other words, nothing to do with the subject of this topic.

This is a screen shot.

I've been getting that from Bangkok Bank also for a while now.

As I wrote before "That "Register" message is nothing to do with being overseas. It's to encourage you to register for the government's new e-payment system which allows them, Big Brother-like, to track your income and outgoings and make sure you pay enough tax."

In other words, nothing to do with the subject of this topic.

Nothing to do with income tracking, only with receiving payments in your bank account connected to your mobile number.

Nothing to do with income tracking, only with receiving payments in your bank account connected to your mobile number.

I can only presume that you've paid absolutely no attention to, well basically anything, relating to this rollout.

I can only presume that you've paid absolutely no attention to, well basically anything, relating to this rollout.
You presume wrongly. Edited by stevenl

Although it may not be requirement to register your PC now, it wouldn't surprise me if KBANK forced this in the future. Their mobile banking phone app is so restrictive that you can't be using wifi when transferring to a new account without explicitly signing away your rights. Whatever happened to using OTP?

I guess you mean K-Cyber Banking (internet banking).

I used my K-Cyber account to transfer funds from my account to family member account whilst in nearby country just 12 days ago.

In this case normal procedure is account holder must call K-Cyber banking staff (in Bkk - live call) from abroad to get an OTP (one time password), nothing was mentioned at all about registering my notebook.

To be honest I don't mind doing that if it enhanced security for my account.

I guess you mean K-Cyber Banking (internet banking).

I used my K-Cyber account to transfer funds from my account to family member account whilst in nearby country just 12 days ago.

In this case normal procedure is account holder must call K-Cyber banking staff (in Bkk - live call) from abroad to get an OTP (one time password), nothing was mentioned at all about registering my notebook.

To be honest I don't mind doing that if it enhanced security for my account.

On the other hand having the flexibility to access K-Cyber banking or any similar system on any computer, own PC, Own notebooks, office PC, PC in hotel business center is one of the attractions of internet banking and one of the selling points for the banks.

So I'm guessing they wouldn't want to rush into access only through pre-registered computers, unless of course the access through 'any computer' is bringing security problems.

Any comments?

I went to KTC yesterday and deposited cash into my account. This cash will be used against any purchase.

I think this seems to be the most convenient of making purchases in another country and not having to worry about paying the bill. As long as you don't go over the amount you deposited.

KTC also said any cash that is still in my KTC that I didn't spend when I return. I can draw that money out without any fees.

Thanks for all the advice.

Edited by karl2007