Snails eating my watermelon seedlings.

I have snails eating my watermelon seedlings. They're getting decimated before they can grow start sprouting larger leaves.

What are organic ways to stop the snails from eating the seedlings?

I am not an expert on this.....but I was told once since Snails have to crawl to your plants to feed.....a ring of common salt around the plants will stop them rom crawling across the Salt.

The Salt irritates them, and supposedly they don't want to cross the Salt to your plants because it hurts them.

At least that what I was told.

I am not an expert on this.....but I was told once since Snails have to crawl to your plants to feed.....a ring of common salt around the plants will stop them rom crawling across the Salt.

The Salt irritates them, and supposedly they don't want to cross the Salt to your plants because it hurts them.

At least that what I was told.

Salt will kill the plants, so do not apply too close to them or let it be close enough to run into the plants if it rains or during watering !...

I've seen Thai's put crushed egg shells around the plants, OP could try that...

I can vouch for this product as I've used it and found it to be incredibly effective. It's also available for shipping to Thailand from Amazon.

post-86619-0-61709400-1468639833_thumb.j

As one poster, said even salt could have a deleterious impact on your watermelons. I never looked into the organic aspect of the product but you're free to do so.

I can vouch for this product as I've used it and found it to be incredibly effective. It's also available for shipping to Thailand from Amazon.

attachicon.gifdeadline.jpeg

As one poster, said even salt could have a deleterious impact on your watermelons. I never looked into the organic aspect of the product but you're free to do so.

One very good reason not to use Deadline or Corry's slug bait, especially if anyone has pets.

Snail Bait (Metaldehyde) Poisoning

Read here:

http://www.gladesvillevet.com.au/pages/newsletters/newsletter/article.php?idArticle=19053

smile.png

Some people have success with spent coffee grounds around the plants. Look into spent coffee grounds in the garden and you'll see that they are apparently good for a lot of things. You might find this useful

smile.png

Other than getting distracted by the tongue-pierced, ball-stud induced lisp (I guess I'm just an old fogy), the info in the video was exactly what I needed. I now have tubes around my surviving plants, and once I have a breakfast of eggs and real coffee, I'll have the egg shells and coffee grounds to surround the plants. thumbsup.gif

On to the green beans (tua fuk yow) that are getting chewed on, but unlike the watermelons they grow so proliferately that the leaves grow out faster than they can be eaten.

• 2 weeks later...

a tuna fish can with some beer in it. the beer attracts the slugs who fall in the can and drown.

Google it

The only problem with this is that some of them crawl out all drunk, and tend to be very rowdy, causing all short of trouble , and starting fightstongue.png

Archived