Diesel Pickup Driving Questions

pistonpilot

Arrogant statements like "we keep you alive" don't endear the USA to the rest of the world.

Especially when linked to a glaring ignorance of diesel pickups!

If you have airbags (the vehicle not you) it will be written on the wheel and you will have a warning light(Red) that comes on when you turn the key, there is also a light (yellow) for the ABS, both these go off after a few seconds of engine run. I would be very surprised to hear you don’t have both....is the model a 4dr 4wd Grandis?

I'd be very surprised if you didn't have both.

BTW - diesels don't have catalytic converters. In essence, when you burn diesel the result is carbon and water or something like that. Problems with diesel arise from additives and particulates, but in general they are much more eco-friendly than petrol - just because you can't see pollution doesn't mean it's not there!

As for the fuel consumption, you will dramatically improve that figure of 18 if you use the UK gallon as opposed to the US gallon, or if you want to talk the language of the rest of us.......do it in KM to litres!

How the US ever put someone on the moon using the old empirical measuring systems is beyond me.......

Edited by wilko

Arrogant statements like "we keep you alive" don't endear the USA to the rest of the world.

If you have airbags (the vehicle not you) it will be written on the wheel and you will have a warning light(Red) that comes on when you turn the key, there is also a light (yellow) for the ABS, both these go off after a few seconds of engine run. I would be very surprised to hear you don’t have both....is the model a 4dr 4wd Grandis?

BTW - diesels don't have catalytic converters. In essence, when you burn diesel the result is carbon and water or something like that. Problems with diesel arise from additives and particulates, but in general they are much more eco-friendly than petrol - just because you can't see pollution doesn't mean it's not there!

As for the fuel consumption, you will dramatically improve that figure of 18 if you use the UK gallon as opposed to the US gallon, or if you want to talk the language of the rest of us.......do it in KM to litres!

How the US ever put someone on the moon using the old empirical measuring systems is beyond me.......

We do keep you alive. When whatever country you come from can claim the most R&D on drugs, then you can make that statement.

That you don't like it? Too bad. Maybe clear thinking is also decidedly American - you'll have to explain how you linked diesel engines to important things such as keeping you alive with drugs, and putting men on the moon.

Oh that's right, the rest of the world has just be going like gangbusters with their space program, making you all too busy to do things like invent drugs to make people live longer and happier lives.

You're all too busy sitting around campfires discussing diesel engines. Hogwash.

I don't have airbags and I don't have ABS. It's a 2004 4X4 Offroad Strada Grandis with a 2.8 liter turbodiesel. That's it. I've got drum on the back and disc up front.

I guess Paw wasn't thinking about safety, he was more concerned with decking it out with every Buddha statue and hanging item he could get in it.

I still have to remove a huge decal he placed on the middle of the rear window.

It is not 4WD.

Why be able to see behind you when you're Thai? Waste of time as they don't give a shit.

I'll borrow someone's baby and use it as an airbag - just like the Thais.

Edited by pistonpilot

I inherited "father's" Mitsubishi Strada Grandis 2004 - not sure the engine size. I've never driven on the right side of the car, nor have I ever driven in Thailand. I've been on a Honda wave for the last 3 months.

I hate motorbikes. I'm loving the pickup - not quite the standard I'm used to in the USA as my last car was a Lexus, but it is much better than the Honda Wave.

I have never driven a diesel either and would like some tips to get the best mileage from it as speed is not paramount.

The most important is the safety of myself and family, and not killing any Thai idiots who despite their attempts to kill themselves they have so far failed and will not be able to do it under my pickup.

Now if I can only get used to the turn signal being on the right.

That's odd. Our cars are RHT but the turn signal is on the left side of the steering wheel.

That's odd. Our cars are RHT but the turn signal is on the left side of the steering wheel.

Corky, it's not the side the steering wheel is on, it's the country of origin of the vehicle. Manufacturers are unlikely to make different stalk assemblies for different markets.

There are exceptions (the new Holden Astra for example is Euro manufacture but has the turn signal on the right) but generally:-

Europe (not UK) -- Left side

UK -- Right Side

US -- Left side

Asia (mostly Japanese manufacturers) -- Right side

So, Mitsi = turn signal on the right, Benz = turn signal left :o

Doesn't matter anymore, I'm used to it. I stopped reaching for the non-existent shoulder belt that hangs midair on my left, and now I reach right.

Turn signal is natural too.

What is not natural is how close I come each day to killing some dumbass Thai who doesn't give a shit about whether they live or die.

When I see a 30 year old Thai doing stupid things on a bike, I wonder how they have lasted so long.

We do keep you alive. When whatever country you come from can claim the most R&D on drugs, then you can make that statement.

That you don't like it? Too bad. Maybe clear thinking is also decidedly American - you'll have to explain how you linked diesel engines to important things such as keeping you alive with drugs, and putting men on the moon.

Oh that's right, the rest of the world has just be going like gangbusters with their space program, making you all too busy to do things like invent drugs to make people live longer and happier lives.

You're all too busy sitting around campfires discussing diesel engines. Hogwash.

I don't have airbags and I don't have ABS. It's a 2004 4X4 Offroad Strada Grandis with a 2.8 liter turbodiesel. That's it. I've got drum on the back and disc up front.

I guess Paw wasn't thinking about safety, he was more concerned with decking it out with every Buddha statue and hanging item he could get in it.

I still have to remove a huge decal he placed on the middle of the rear window.

It is not 4WD.

Why be able to see behind you when you're Thai? Waste of time as they don't give a shit.

I'll borrow someone's baby and use it as an airbag - just like the Thais.

They all have drum on the back, disc on the front...ABS or no ABS!

Now see if you can use your superior American intellect to re-arrange these words to make a well-known phrase or saying....

- It-arse-blow-go-your-out -

PS - If it's US drugs that are keeping you alive, I think they should review their policies!

Edited by wilko

So they dpo...kind of spoils the advantges of diesel doesn't it.....which vehicles use a converter....I haven't heard of them being fitted to things like the Fotuner. Are they?

The problem with cats is they use all sorts of precious metals and their constructioncauses lots of pollution itself.

Wilko,

I really can't speak for vehicles made elsewhere, but catalytic converters for diesels have been required by law for about the last 7 years here in the States. The sulfur in the older mix diesel is still too high for the newest systems that are now being made and would ruin the sensors, catalytic converter etc.

The old standard for low sulfur diesel here was around 500 ppm, the ultra-low sulfur diesel is around 15 ppm which is similar to the sulfur content found in European diesel fuel.

The ultra-low sulfur diesel began being used nation wide here in the States around the 15th of October.

Edited by Jamie