Drivers Licences (car and motorcycle)

I have both car and motorcycle Thai drivers licences but they are 5 years out of date.

What do I have to do to get new ones.

The last time I did the test in Chiang Mai because in those days you couldn't get

a license on a Tourist visa in Chiang Rai,where I live.

I had to do the test for the motorcycle only.I didn't have to do the test for the car license because I had a car license from Ireland,I only had to do a color blind test.

I now live in Chiang Rai and have a Non O visa which I got from Laos about 6 weeks ago.

So what do I have to do.Do I need to sit either of the tests again and do I need to bring proof of residency or something with me.

If I have to do the test again a link to where the questions are in English would be great.

The only best way is go along to your local DLT office with old Thai DL's along with papers you needed last time.

Usually I believe you will get the temporary 2 year licences l wouldn't think you will have to do a retest but some DLT's have different rules. Good-luck.

The only best way is go along to your local DLT office with old Thai DL's along with papers you needed last time.

Usually I believe you will get the temporary 2 year licences l wouldn't think you will have to do a retest but some DLT's have different rules. Good-luck.

And the valid Ireland DL(s).

The Thai DLs as such are completely void and applying for extending them does not work.

For motorcycle:

as you have no valid Ireland motorcycle DL you have indeed to do the complete procedure incl.

theory and practical test for that.

Basically a new license.

For car:

as previous post suggests: just redo the procedure that you have done for your old DLs.

Handing in the Ireland DL, proof of residence, med. certificate, passport and copies.

Then you only have to do the physical test (reaction, color test) and probably watch some video.

Some lucky posters got away without any tests (although against the rules).

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3470:in-case-of-foreigner&catid=131:2011-09-08-02-09-23&Itemid=88

Edited by KhunBENQ

In my province of Ontario, Canada we have 12 different classes of drivers licenses.

Class A, B,C,D,E,F,G

G1,G2

M, M1, M2

In order to obtain any one of these licenses other than a motorcycle license a person would require a G licence.

A 'Z' endorsement would allow for the operation of vehicles with air brakes.

The point I'm making here is that for any one of these licenses you are only issued 1 license.

So you don't get one license for a car and a separate license for a motorcycle , etc, etc, like you do in Thailand.

You would get one license which would state the different classes of your licence.

I would almost guarantee that no one in Thailand's LTD would be aware of this and I could get a motorcycle license very easily.

I know this because when I went for my driving license the only reason why I wasn't given my motorcycle license was because I didn't have a separate letter of residence from Immigration or another medical certificate.

In my province of Ontario, Canada we have 12 different classes of drivers licenses.

Class A, B,C,D,E,F,G

G1,G2

M, M1, M2

In order to obtain any one of these licenses other than a motorcycle license a person would require a G licence.

A 'Z' endorsement would allow for the operation of vehicles with air brakes.

The point I'm making here is that for any one of these licenses you are only issued 1 license.

So you don't get one license for a car and a separate license for a motorcycle , etc, etc, like you do in Thailand.

You would get one license which would state the different classes of your licence.

I would almost guarantee that no one in Thailand's LTD would be aware of this and I could get a motorcycle license very easily.

I know this because when I went for my driving license the only reason why I wasn't given my motorcycle license was because I didn't have a separate letter of residence from Immigration or another medical certificate.

Australia is similar, one licence C for car R for motorcycyle. I got both licenses with only one medical cert and resident cert.

O.K,so bring 2 of every thing with the paperwork......and be prepared to do the motorcycle test again.

I better get studying.Is there so,e where online I can find the test questions.How many of them are there and what percentage is a pass.

If you still have valid home licence, take that one and do the same process as previously. If no home licence anymore you'll have to do tests for both. In both cases you'll get a temporary 2 year licence.

If bringing home licence, do not bring old Thai licence, will only lead to confusion.

O.K,

Can any one give me a link to where I find the test questions for the motorcycle test online.

How well do you have to know them to pass the test.

I need to go studying.

' Motorcycles in Thailand ' forum try there for other suggestions too.

All about docs and test questions is in this forum, pinned thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/920562-thai-drivers-license-checklist/

The three pdf's are linked here.

90 questions out of which 50 are selected, 45 must be correct.

http://thaidriving.info/

Some Q/A are plain wrong or completely unclear.

Swot!

Edited by KhunBENQ