Phuket Aussie expat faces reckless driving and drunk driving charge

rooster59

I just do not understand people who drink (a little or a lot) and drive, especially in Thailand, (but back home usually have turn in not drinking or stay overnight), where public transport is everywhere and cheap.

I have a motorbike and yes I drink, sometimes way too much, but when I go out I already take a mototaxi to my drinking place/bar and another one back.

Spending hundreds/thousands of baht on drinking (and girls/guys), but not wanting to spend a 50-200 baht on safety for others and yourself.

Just stupidity I guess.

The tuk-tuks want 400 baht from Kata to Patong, and 800 from Patong to Kata, later in the night. 1200 baht round trip.

You can rent a motorbike for 200 baht a day, and you can rent a car from the airport for as low as 842 baht (Ford Figo)

I do not condone drink driving, but there is such a clear financial incentive here to do so that, unfortunately, many see it as an option.

If you choose to stay/live somewhere that you get ripped off by taxi mafia, you are still responsible for your own actions. So move or pay rip-off taxi prices. A humans life other then yours is worth a lot more then max 1200baht.

I think you will find the initial comment about Phuket's rip off taxi's being to blame for farangs drink driving was a bit of satire, it was aimed at a particular forum member who jumps on every thread to bash Phuket. Nobody is really suggesting that the price of Tuk Tuks is to blame.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just do not understand people who drink (a little or a lot) and drive, especially in Thailand, (but back home usually have turn in not drinking or stay overnight), where public transport is everywhere and cheap.

I have a motorbike and yes I drink, sometimes way too much, but when I go out I already take a mototaxi to my drinking place/bar and another one back.

Spending hundreds/thousands of baht on drinking (and girls/guys), but not wanting to spend a 50-200 baht on safety for others and yourself.

Just stupidity I guess.

The tuk-tuks want 400 baht from Kata to Patong, and 800 from Patong to Kata, later in the night. 1200 baht round trip.

You can rent a motorbike for 200 baht a day, and you can rent a car from the airport for as low as 842 baht (Ford Figo)

I do not condone drink driving, but there is such a clear financial incentive here to do so that, unfortunately, many see it as an option.

If you choose to stay/live somewhere that you get ripped off by taxi mafia, you are still responsible for your own actions. So move or pay rip-off taxi prices. A humans life other then yours is worth a lot more then max 1200baht.

I think you will find the initial comment about Phuket's rip off taxi's being to blame for farangs drink driving was a bit of satire, it was aimed at a particular forum member who jumps on every thread to bash Phuket. Nobody is really suggesting that the price of Tuk Tuks is to blame.
At least one member is.

39 years old, new car and house living in Phuket ? Something not quite right here. He is too young to retire . Maybe he is an Australian playboy or a villan from Australia in hiding ( Failed !! ). Whatever the reason, if he cannot pay off the right people he will spend some time in a Thai jail and then be deported . Of course if his visa expires whilst he is in prison he will also be charged with overstay

39 years old, new car and house living in Phuket ? Something not quite right here. He is too young to retire . Maybe he is an Australian playboy or a villan from Australia in hiding ( Failed !! ). Whatever the reason, if he cannot pay off the right people he will spend some time in a Thai jail and then be deported . Of course if his visa expires whilst he is in prison he will also be charged with overstay

I nominate your post for the most nonsense post in 2016!

Your world must be very very limited.

Just stupidity I guess.

So, how do you get home after a night out somewhere on Phuket?

Just stupidity I guess.

"Nobody is really suggesting that the price of Tuk Tuks is to blame." - correct, however, without any proper public transport here, it would be naive to think it does not play a part in Phuket having the highest road fatality statistics in Thailand.