inflation is killing me

zeichen

There's been times when a few memorable items took a big jump in a short time, and it seemed like inflation was running rampant.

One of my meds went up 100% between one refill and the next, coffee goes up and down with the weather in Colombia, shrimp skyrocketed when the farms were hit with some virus, fruits and vegetables go up when they're out of season, and on and on.

But when you average it all out, inflation never looks so bad in the short run.

But making 0.3% interest for decades at a time when prices are going up 10x as fast- truly sucks in the long view.

They are robbing you Peter to pay Paul. The fat cats are getting fatter while we the wee folk get skinnier. Welcome to the new world order and the pecking order.

Neither the New World Order theory nor the Rich Get Richer adage are new; the former being used since the beginning of the 20th century and the latter from the early 19th century; and the basis of both probably goes back beyond that. It’s nothing new. Everyone knows things are going to be more expensive rather than less expensive as time goes by; do they not? It simply amounts to poor planning, poor math, and maybe wishful thinking.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that in Thailand especially incomes for the majority of Thais are not rising in conjunction with the price rise of essentials. This keeps people in poverty and leads eventually to a depression. In the West, it has caused an inordinate shift of wealth from the lower and middle class to the wealthy. It cannot continue because the 99% will eventually reach the point where the 1% will become the enemy of the people and they will have their wealth redistributed by force. The wealthy have become overly greedy and they better get smart before its too late.

If you want to experience inflation take a holiday in Sydney.Start off taking the airport link to the main railway terminal,used to be 65 baht now 442 baht.A small bottle of water costs nearly 200 baht,here 10 baht.Inflation is everywhere but at the moment here its minimal despite drought and the political situation

you might as well drink beer in OZ almost the same price as water.....

Anyone who thinks Thailand is still cheap to live in is kidding themselves!

I don't agree. I've not lived in another country where I can live comfortably on 1k Pounds a month. There's no taxes apart from sales tax, no community charges, utility costs are exceptionally low (monthly: water - 100 baht/gas - 70 baht/electric - 1,000), diesel is half the price of the West, food is exceptionally cheap in markets and the like (40 pounds a week feeds two people more than comfortably) plus the quality is usually extremely high plus entertainment costs are inexpensive (have you bought a movie ticket in the UK recently). It all depends on lifestyle and how you want to live.

I have absolutely no problem living in Central London on 1,000 pounds a month. What I miss is the large and varied range of food I had there. The eating in Thailand is very restricted. And fruit here, why is it so expensive? Fruit and fruit juice in London is so much cheaper. No need for a car, and I don't have a space to park it in London anyway.

What part of Thailand are you living in? In Chiang Mai, I can eat at English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Indian, Lebanese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean and of course Thai restaurants at a fraction of the cost of an Australian establishment. Ditto buying fruit and vegetables at any daily market. If anyone wants to bitch about the cost of living, try Australia for some real inflation.

As for London, I doubt 1000 pounds a month would even cover the cost of renting an apartment.

Take into account the weak baht anything imported is obviously going to rise in price inc medication

Not against the AUD. Comfortably getting 30 - 32 18 months ago and now luckily gone up a bit, just a tad over 26baht.

But hang on, will get worse [for the AUD] anyway, if predication of a rate cut come to fruition early August, so the Aussie may be in for some more pain.

45 baht for 500 grams of butter. Not a chance, a cheap butter blend more likely.

As for fruit and veg, buy seasonably available. I have only noticed drought affected

produce and out of season fruit. Sugar, 22 to 25. How much sugar do you eat to

make that an issue. We should all cut back on sugar anyway. coffee1.gif

There's a reason this time of year is called "Buddhist Lent". It's because we're just coming off Hot Season where many crops were more difficult to produce, chickens weren't laying as many eggs, cows aren't producing as much milk, etc. Now that the rains have started more fruits and veg will start to come into season and prices will fall.

Not as far as I can find;

"The day following the Asalha full moon is called "Lent Commencement Day" or "Vassupanayika" in Pali. In Thailand 2 words are used for Lent (the Rainy Season Retreat), either Vassa or Phansa, both meaning "rain, season of rain". The Rains Residence (Retreat), is one of the monastic observances having its origin in the time of the Lord Buddha. Buddhist Lent, however, bears no similarity to the Christian Lent. Originally monks did not stay at any particular place, but were most of the time on the move in their mission to spread the Buddha's teachings. During the rainy season, when the country experienced heavy and frequent rainfalls, things were quite difficult for them and their travels were often impeded or interrupted. Both Thailand and India are subject to monsoon winds bearing torrential rains which make travel difficult in regions where there are swamps and swollen streams and no adequate roads. The season is also the time for farmers to cultivate their land and grow crops, so wandering monks could easily unintentionally damage the new-planted rice. So it was, naturally, the time for most ascetics to stop wandering and remain stationed in a specific place. This custom was in fact practised in India long before the time of the Buddha, and from considerations of health and comfort there is much to recommend this custom."

Oh, I guess all that hot weather in March, April, May was simply a figment of my imagination and also that of the cows, chickens, fruit trees, and vegetable gardens that weren't producing their normal yields.

Yes, of course, the rainy weather makes it difficult for the monks to move around and it's not a good idea to trample newly planted rice, either.

I love the way people quote sources on ThaiVisa without any reference as if that makes it "gospel".

I'll stand by my original assertion that this is also a time of year when historically food was in short supply because crops hadn't yet "come in". To say otherwise is to deny the interdependence of agricultural output and weather.

If it's posted on the internet isn't it true....555

The prices of things like tomatoes; pineapple; apples and most other fruits have gone up considerably. Tomatoes used to be 22 Baht per Kilo/Today at Lotus 45 Baht down from 59. While overall living in Thailand is not as expensive as back home- the prices of food in the US are cheaper than Thailand. Also, alcohol in the US can be cheaper than Thailand. The prices of gas/diesel in Thailand are more than the US but cheaper than Europe. It all depends where you originate from but overall $1000 per month goes further in Thailand when everything is considered. Most essentials in Europe are much higher than Thailand .

Yes, food is cheaper in the US for sure. Shopping too.

Housing and healthcare (doctor, dentist, meds) are about the only thing for me that is now cheaper in Thailand. But you often get what you pay for.

i went to massage.....used to be 150 baht and now 200 baht!!!!! 33% increase!!!!

and one item used to be 5 baht is now 10....100% rise!!!!

when housing spikes higher.....then we will have a big concern. you can still find cheap places.

of course, cheap for me is 100,000 baht a day!!!!

I think Thailand is still quite affordable. And depending on where one decides to live and how to live it can be "cheap" too.

expat retirees who think Thailand is not dàmn cheap never had an income in their home country of which the taxman took up to 50% and therefore don't take into consideration that the Thai taxman doesn't touch their offshore income.

next! coffee1.gif

I think Thailand is still quite affordable. And depending on where one decides to live and how to live it can be "cheap" too.

clap2.gif

If you donot likethe prices here go homeand see how you will likethem. Iam going back to the states in august I can imaginehow much they have went up

The only things I find cheaper here than in the UK are eating out, property, electricity, and water (and probably Internet). Admittedly those are all very important, especially property as we all need somewhere to live, but a lot of the food (in supermarkets), alcohol, good quality electrical equipment, reasonable quality clothing, and anything else I buy on a regular basis all seems to be cheaper back home. Basically if you want quality it's usually imported and therefore costs a fortune.

EDIT: There are probably loads of other things that are much cheaper here I just don't happen to buy them or do them.

So so true, when i tell my gf that alot of goods are cheaper in the uk she does not believe me. I buy all my clothes from the uk when i'm here due to quality

Although when i walk around thai watsadu most things are cheaper or similar to that of the UK.

She finds it hard to understand that i still have to pay council tax every month even though i am not there and own my house outright

On a general basis it is much cheaper to live in Thailand mainly down to housing/rental costs which is a huge difference

Edited by Dene16

You don't need butter, buy the fruit that's cheap.

Limes are at a very low price at the moment, 10bht for 5 large.

Pancakes with lime and sugar.

Cold water with ice and a squeeze of lime.

And a new coffee shop opened last week near me.

Everything is 30bht a cup (or glass).

https://www.facebook.com/banpongcoffee

I need butter: I'm not fond of dry toast.

I buy Awlries (not sure of the spelling) salted butter from Australia.

Price has been exactly the same for the last three years.

I have to agree with you 100% thailand is not what it was 6 years ago , I for one can't understand how most Thais can live in their country with the price of things .

I come and go to thailand and when in thailand it cost me more to live then back home in Australia.

The best thing in thailand is eating out at restaurants cost nothing compared to Australia.

You don't go to live in thailand to live like a thai you go to live a great cheaper life then back home but that is not so now .

I have to agree with you 100% thailand is not what it was 6 years ago , I for one can't understand how most Thais can live in their country with the price of things .

I come and go to thailand and when in thailand it cost me more to live then back home in Australia.

The best thing in thailand is eating out at restaurants cost nothing compared to Australia.

You don't go to live in thailand to live like a thai you go to live a great cheaper life then back home but that is not so now .

"You don't go to live in thailand to live like a thai you go to live a great cheaper life then back home but that is not so now" .

There's a middle ground that is a good or better standard of living by Thai AND Western standards that is also cheaper than back at home, it doesn't have to be just the extremes of excess or deprivation.

Why do you keep saying that people don't need butter? Do you only buy things that you really need and never things that you really like? I don't need butter, cheese, bread, cream, coffee, tea, eggs, bacon, or milk, but I like them all so I buy them. How is that strange?

It's only to stick the sides of a sandwich together. You don't need to use it anywhere.

You can very quickly get used to eating without it, it doesn't add flavour.

Using butter is a bit like using MSG, not required, but people insist on sticking it in everything they eat.

You have a very strange attitude toward butter. I use it on toast in the morning and whenever I make a sandwich. I don't use it to stick the pieces of bread together, I use it because it makes a sandwich taste better. it is nothing like MSG; I don't put it in everything I eat. And...I don't want to get used to not eating it.

Edited by Mark123456

>>I come and go to thailand and when in thailand it cost me more to live then back home in Australia.<<

You are probably talking from the view point of being on holiday in Thailand and paying for accommodation and restaurant food ,versus being at home living in your paid for house and cooking your own food .Its not a valid comparison .

Why do you keep saying that people don't need butter? Do you only buy things that you really need and never things that you really like? I don't need butter, cheese, bread, cream, coffee, tea, eggs, bacon, or milk, but I like them all so I buy them. How is that strange?

It's only to stick the sides of a sandwich together. You don't need to use it anywhere.

You can very quickly get used to eating without it, it doesn't add flavour.

Using butter is a bit like using MSG, not required, but people insist on sticking it in everything they eat.

welsh salted butter on a chip butty.or a bacon butty or on a thick slice of toast.licklips.gif

you must have lived in the jungle.

I'd like to know where you are getting butter so cheaply. I've been buying 1 kilo blocks for 2 years from a bakery supply for 150 baht and that I considered cheap. Are you sure you're in Thailand?

that is cake mix in solid form of MARGARINE PALM OIL.

i buy it at the bakery supplies in korat.

Indices Differenceinformation.pngConsumer Prices in Sydney are 114.70% higher than in Chiang MaiConsumer Prices Including Rent in Sydney are 180.98% higher than in Chiang MaiRent Prices in Sydney are 415.25% higher than in Chiang MaiRestaurant Prices in Sydney are 280.09% higher than in Chiang MaiGroceries Prices in Sydney are 63.45% higher than in Chiang MaiLocal Purchasing Power in Sydney is 226.54% higher than in Chiang Mai

^click for source

You don't need butter, buy the fruit that's cheap.

Limes are at a very low price at the moment, 10bht for 5 large.

Pancakes with lime and sugar.

Cold water with ice and a squeeze of lime.

And a new coffee shop opened last week near me.

Everything is 30bht a cup (or glass).

https://www.facebook.com/banpongcoffee

I need butter: I'm not fond of dry toast.

I buy Awlries (not sure of the spelling) salted butter from Australia.

Price has been exactly the same for the last three years.

i think you mean allowrie salted butter,produced in THAILAND not australia but it does have a kangaroo on the packaging.

If you come to Thailand and complain of the high prices,,,

you really are poor, better start saving for a tin cup, or a

used paper one.

I would agree. Anyone who tracks the price of grocery staples in the supermarket really has no business living overseas.

If you come to Thailand and complain of the high prices,,,

you really are poor, better start saving for a tin cup, or a

used paper one.

I would agree. Anyone who tracks the price of grocery staples in the supermarket really has no business living overseas.

or the price of baked beans laugh.png

I am surprised that no one has remarked on the fact that some manufacturers, world wide, are overcoming price rises by producing the "incredible shrinking product" ie the container size, or size of the product has reduced its content size but the price has remained the same.This occursregularly in the confectionary business and products that come in a can, "Prego" brand pasta sauce is just one example. Some breakfast cereal produces provide their product in a cardboard box that when opened is about 2/3rds full.

Having said that Thailand for me is still a very cheap place to live providing you steer clear of buying Western food that was once perhaps your staple diet and take advantage of cheaper and fresher fruit and vegetables in markets. If you choose to live here modify your diet and receive the benefits in your pocket and your health.

I have frinds who come from Australia, on a regular basis, and always include dental work during their holiday.Their savings, over time, pay for their air fares. I kid you not.

Edited by Sparkles