Cherished number plate row leads to vicious double murder

rooster59

Madness, two murdered over 100,000 baht.

I,m sure that there have been many murders in the land of smiles over sums of money MUCH smaller than 100,000 Bht, which to a Thai could represent a lot of money sad.png

The thing is it isn't a lot and while it is madness to kill over any amount of money, to do so for 100, 000 baht is killing over nothing.

Madness over 100 k baht?

More like madness over a number plate, for goodness sake

He killed because of the money he had been given for the plate. He didn't want to give it back so he killed 2 people.

These murders were about money.

Thats a lot of money here. I doubt if more than 50% of TV posters would have it sitting in the bank

It's not a lot of money when it comes to killing over and who gives a toss how much other posters have in their accounts.

That's their business, not yours.

Edited by Bluespunk

Thats a lot of money here. I doubt if more than 50% of TV posters would have it sitting in the bank

It's not a lot of money when it comes to killing over and who gives a toss how much other posters have in their accounts.

oops looks like I touched a raw nerve. Take it easy being poor is nothing to be ashamed of coffee1.gif

oops looks like I touched a raw nerve. Take it easy being poor is nothing to be ashamed of coffee1.gif

Oh dear, arrogance as well as being wrong about how much a human life is worth.

Your contempt and ill formed opinions about other posters shine through the posts you write, it's pretty pathetic.

" I doubt if more than 50% of TV posters would have it sitting in the bank" Assumptions are gold if your right and cow patties when your wrong. How many cows do you have?

The wild west had nothing compared to the crap going on in Thailand at the moment.

Yes, I liken this place to a combination of the Wild West and 13th century England. Law enforcement by the keystone cops under The Sherrif Of Nottingham.

Thia Visa is "never" short of material that grabs the attention. At least not for more than 24 hours.

What careful observering, long-time expats come to realize is that the locals often have a certain psyche... For whatever reasons of culture, they often exist among each other in very superficial ways. 'Friends' even longtime ones often barely know each other. How could they? When relationships are built on shaky foundations face giving and saving and confrontation avoidance? These people have relationships where the lies they tell each other are as common as swindlers tell on lower Sukhumvit. And, as much as they don't know each other, likewise they often know little about themselves as they lack introspection which is all but avoided in Thai culture.

When lost face enters then it's an easy choice for most locals. Protection of face almost always supersedes relationships.

The key takeaway here is that you old blokes should keep this in mind when transacting with the natives.

Edited by PaullyW

After reading this report, does anyone understand what happened? If so, could you explain it to me.

Skip over most of it and go right to the final paragraph.

"Police said that the dispute was over a cherished number plate. Both Anek and Nattaphoom liked big bikes. Anek had paid more than 100,000 baht for a fancy number plate organized by his friend that turned out to be fake and wanted his money back. This, they said, was why he was shot."

What careful observering, long-time expats come to realize is that the locals often have a certain psyche... For whatever reasons of culture, they often exist among each other in very superficial ways. 'Friends' even longtime ones often barely know each other. How could they? When relationships are built on shaky foundations face giving and saving and confrontation avoidance? These people have relationships where the lies they tell each other are as common as swindlers tell on lower Sukhumvit. And, as much as they don't know each other, likewise they often know little about themselves as they lack introspection which is all but avoided in Thai culture.

When lost face enters then it's an easy choice for most locals. Protection of face almost always supersedes relationships.

The key takeaway here is that you old blokes should keep this in mind when transacting with the natives.

I would only edit "........ (almost) always. . . " to " . . . always. . . . " The most ingrained feature of relating to anyone here. No matter what goes down, in any circumstances, this is the final arbiter. Face. I have some quite good friends, mature age, well educated and only one of them actually has a handle on the psyche of his own.

It is very frustrating. Yes the general sense of society, is very pleasant, but if for any reason it is the tiniest bit less than pleasant, and a few small stones start to fall from the

face of Mt. Pleasant, the avalanche is ready to go. All the way.

People ask me why I laugh a lot. Because I have to.