Indonesian busted at Samui airport with 3kg of cocaine in suitcase

rooster59

Indonesian busted at Samui airport with 3kg of cocaine in suitcase

post-247607-0-43647000-1468680871_thumb.

KOH SAMUI: An Indonesian man has been detained by police after picking up a suitcase stuffed with 3 kilograms of cocaine at Samui International Airport on Thursday (July 14).

The suspect, named by police as Djemmy Petrus Mokodompit, 48, had arrived on Koh Samui a week earlier, on July 8, on a Bangkok Airways flight from Singapore.

The unaccompanied suitcase arrived at Samui airport on July 14 on a separate flight from Singapore.
Samui Airport Customs officials’ suspicions were raised when they X-rayed the suitcase, which appeared to have something lining the insides.

Police then detained Mr Mokodompit when he picked up the suitcase, which investigators cut open to reveal layers of resin and plastic concealing the stash of cocaine, said Samui District chief Paiboon Omak.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/-Indonesian-busted-Samui-airport-3kg-cocaine/65226?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-07-16

Airlines and state security allow unaccompanied luggage on commercial aircraft?

And apparently without much scrutiny.

That's a bigger threat to national security than 3kg cocaine.

yeh there is a lot of this news story that simply doesn't make any sense

1. How did the luggage end up on the plane without a passenger or perhaps the passenger never went to baggage collection/reclaim

2. The baggage collection area in an airport is a secure area airside, how was this man able to enter to pick up the luggage

Maybe it's just poor reporting

About 5 years ago whilst working in the Australian outback our camp was flooded out, so we were evacuated by helicopter, we were allowed hand-carry baggage only.

That was the end of the work season, but my suitcase remained in Oz while I flew back to Thailand.

My suitcase was flown back here unaccompanied, but not before I had filled in a questionnaire for the shipping company. When it arrive at Swampy I paid 5k Baht for the services of an agent to get it out of customs (wouldn't have been ablle to do this alone, took about 4 hours and 12 different counters to do it).

Unaccompanied baggage is possible, but lots of hoops to jump through!

Hard to see how this guy got that case on unaccompanied, I would think only with the complicity of airport/airline workers.

yeh there is a lot of this news story that simply doesn't make any sense

1. How did the luggage end up on the plane without a passenger or perhaps the passenger never went to baggage collection/reclaim

2. The baggage collection area in an airport is a secure area airside, how was this man able to enter to pick up the luggage

Maybe it's just poor reporting

Not sure "unaccompanied"maybe the owner of the luggage was on the same flight but did not wish to pick it up himself that's what the poor stupid Indonesian man was paid for.

Feel sorry for this chap….he's obviously an illiterate villager and a mule.

I wonder if he even knew what he was carrying or how dangerous it is to do such work.

fascinating part is, how this suitcase made it past Singapore's customs which is touted as being so good at their job.

Most likely detected at Singapore, and they wanted to keep a trace on it.

Value in Singapore as opposed to Thailand? why would you want to risk that, and much easier just to drive it to Thailand

I think maybe the Singaporeans warned them already but they wanted to make sure they court the person at the intended destination.

In Thailand it is common to court some pickup with 20kg of drugs but without any persons. In Singapore they actually trace those people.

Archived