Speedboat Samui-Donsak-Suratthani airport

http://pttravel.org/

I had an AirAsia flight from Suratthani airport to Bangkok to catch, FD3238 11:25. So I decided to try this speedboat service.

I booked from their website and you can either pay cash on arrival at the pier or pay with credit card. I decided to pay with credit card. The reservation was hassle free.

The boat ride cost 350. Transfer from their pier to airport cost 400. For transfer anywhere in Samui to their pier, 150.

I didn't need transfer to their pier, so I paid only 750.

Turns out somebody at their office forgot to notify the captain, so we had to wait for his arrival. Departure time was supposed to be at 07:00, but we departed 07:25.

There were only I and 2 other passengers. Onboard was the captain and 2 Burmese helpers.

Arrived Donsak 07:55.

Their pier is a bit further from Seatran car ferry pier. I would say it's about 1km walk, so you more or less have no choice than to use their transfer service at whopping 400 to airport.

We got transferred onto a pickup truck and drove quickly to the airport via the bypass express road to Krabi. Arrived airport 08:55.

post-17753-14687218915752_thumb.jpg

Their Samui pier at Thong Tanot beach, on the road towards Conrad. It's the same pier where there's boat service to Ko Mutsum.

post-17753-14687218791524_thumb.jpg

Thei Donsak pier. You can see the Seatran pier in the background.

post-17753-14687218247214_thumb.jpg

post-17753-1468721845427_thumb.jpg

post-17753-14687218600447_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mole

Thanks Mole :)

FYI we paid THB 100 pp from Donsak to Surratthani, followed by THB 250 pp for a white knuckle ride to the airport last week (Buri Ram thread explains). Next time we'll take the car and leave it @ the airport.

Edited by evadgib

I just wanted to find out exactly where their pier is in Donsak and if it's possible to walk to Seatran or Raja piers to take the cheaper shuttle bus and minivans there.

Turns out it's quite a walk and too much hassle if you have lots of luggage.

But with light luggage and maybe 15-30 mins to spare, you could walk to the Seatran pier and get on the Phantip bus. But it kinda defeats getting on the fast speed boat... If money was an issue, then one might as well take the slow car ferries all the way.

But for sure, 1.5 hours from Samui to Suratthani airport is certainly very swell indeed and makes the journey less daunting. Combined with a promo flight ticket at 500-700, it's still a lot cheaper than flying direct with Bangkok Airways. One could be in Samui, then Bangkok in less than 4 hours, compared to over 6 hours before.

It rained a bit in the morning, so there were some waves in the sea, so I presume the condition of sea this morning can be said to be average of what you would expect.

Edited by Mole

Thanks Mole, interesting option. The land transport to the airport sounds like it was quite good for you, but I wonder what they would do if there were 15 people - perhaps the dreaded manic minibus ride? In any case, taking the Krabi bypass route is my preferred option.

With more people for sure they'll use minibus. But the bypass route is still faster than going through Suratthani city.

If find the new bypass through Surat faster.

You turn right at BigC Surat and cross over the river on the new bridge.

PG TIX are ~3300 now, high season, with RD card. Living in the Bophut -Chaweng-Choeng Mon area and you are 15+30+50 minutes in BKK, at the same time you are still on the boat to Don Sak. It's easy.

Sure, if I get promo Air Asia price at 590+750=1340 on the way back 590+850=1440 total 2780. I can make roundtrip for less than 3300.

If you are travelling in group or family, there is even more to save. If you travel mother+father+big child, then you save over 10000 for rountrip.

In additional, the chance of getting 3300 price for PG is about as high as getting 590 promo price with FD. Usually it'll be over 4000. Also not everybody has Residence Card in Samui, such as me or the average tourist. So most people will usually have to pay over 4000 for a PG ticket USM-BKK.

So we are still talking about substantial savings.

I don't know about your calculations. It takes me 25 mins from Chaweng to Thong Tanot (which it actually did this morning), then I can virtually come right at the time when the speedboat is about to depart (which I also actually did, but had to waste 30 mins waiting for the damn captain to arrive) add 5 mins to embark on the boat, so 25 mins later, I'll be in Donsak +5 mins to get on minivan or car, then 75 mins later I'm at Suratthani Airport, and let's say I wait 30 mins for the flight, then 70 mins flight from URT-DMK.

Total travel time 235 mins or almost 4 hours.

Travel direct USM-BKK 15+30+50=110 mins. (By the time you are in BKK, I'm almost at URT)

I would say the speedboat alternative isn't actually too bad!

One can of course argue that during rush hour, it can take longer to travel from Chaweng to Thong Tanot, but it will also take longer to get from Chaweng to USM as well. Unlike Lomprayah or the car ferries, which most of the time depart more or less on time. The speedboat has the flexibility to wait a bit till every passenger arrives, so in case of extreme traffic, you may still catch your speedboat. However, PG is also infamous for its delays. So one can argue and argue about the exact travel time....

I still belive my time estimate above is quite realistic and doable and even added extra time.

Transfer with the pickup from Donsak to URT took only 60 mins this morning.

Edited by Mole

If you are traveling in group or family, there is even more to save.

last time I went to Chiang Mai.

Four people, 6300 baht return ticket from Surat with AirAsia.

Same date BKK airways wanted 68.000 bath

I used it to catch a flight to Kuala Lumpur from Surat Thani and it was seamless on the way to the airport. Very fast connection and no waiting around at all. Saved a lot of time and I was happy. Bangkok airways can go screw themselves with their pricing.

On the way way back from URT to Samui was a different story. I made it out of the airport at 12.40 and was shuffled to a bus (not a van as advertised). I sat in the bus for 1 hour waiting for all the other passengers to get on.

Then finally departed and made it to Don Sak at about 2.45pm. I was told the next boat doesn't leave until 4pm. Had to wait till then.

I ended up going over to the seatran ferry terminal to catch the 3pm service. Now although I realise they would have arrived roughly at the same time, I actually live near Nathon so the distance from the Seatran pier vs the P&T pier made all the difference.

Edited by madhav

That's why I never buy combo flight+boat transfer with the airlines. This way, I have the flexibility to chose which company to take to get over to Samui.

It'll also actually be cheaper because the airlines add a bit markup on their combo offerings.

Of course for the average tourist who may have never been here before, combo tickets may be better solution because everything will be taken cared for.

When arriving at URT to Samui, one will still be at the mercy of what time the busses will leave. So unfortunately it will always be a bit more hassle and time consuming.

Perhaps that's why P&T charges 850 for URT to Samui, but only 750 for Samui to URT? Because they have to depend on the airport Pantip mafia?

The strange thing is that with Lomprayah, it's the opposite. It cost 700 to get from Samui to URT, but only 600 from URT to Samui.

Edited by Mole

Remember to factor in the FMP as the Lomphrayah ferry can be fully booked when you get to Surathanee on those few days. Even with the current enforcement of safety regulations I can't imagine the car ferries turning away passengers.

..... Combined with a promo flight ticket at 500-700, it's still a lot cheaper than flying direct with Bangkok Airways...

some people go to BKK and from there back to USM, when they want to go or have to go to BKK and back to USM. Q: you are not one of them

..... Combined with a promo flight ticket at 500-700, it's still a lot cheaper than flying direct with Bangkok Airways...

some people go to BKK and from there back to USM, when they want to go or have to go to BKK and back to USM. Q: you are not one of them

It's also obvious you are not one who would have any interest or any use of this speed boat service, so why the hell bother with useless non productive comments????

Of course if anyone needs to get to BKK and back on the same day, then going via URT is really not an option. Move on please!

If you have difficulty to comprehend... this thread is about a speedboat service between Samui and Donsak, and not about direct flight from USM-BKK...

Hope it is very clear for you now.

Edited by Mole

Thanks Mole smile.png

FYI we paid THB 100 pp from Donsak to Surratthani, followed by THB 250 pp for a white knuckle ride to the airport last week (Buri Ram thread explains). Next time we'll take the car and leave it @ the airport.

Any idea what the parking cost is..?

Parking is free at Surat airport.

Done it many times, although I will say that finding a park can be a challenge as there are clearly not enough spaces so people have started parking all over the place and even in front of other peoples cars making it impossible for some people to get out. This has never happened to me personally, and I have left the car there for up to a week on several occasions, but it looks like it must have happened to others?

Anyhow to others thinking of doing it, make sure you book your ferry in advance, and also plan for a least an hour to drive. It works out cheaper if you have a group of people.

It's also obvious you are not one who would have any interest or any use of this speed boat service, so why the hell bother with useless non productive comments????

Of course if anyone needs to get to BKK and back on the same day, then going via URT is really not an option. Move on please!

If you have difficulty to comprehend... this thread is about a speedboat service between Samui and Donsak, and not about direct flight from USM-BKK...

Hope it is very clear for you now.

It's about speedboat, because of direct flight to BKK ist too costly for you. And that's why the question: Do you go to BKK according to the price of the ticket? Meaning, you travel on a Tuesday because it's 600 Baht only on that Tuesday? and on a ... Friday it would be 950 Baht. Right?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No it is not just because direct flight to Bangkok is too costly.

There happen to be direct flights to other parts of the country as well as international flights out of URT. So this speedboat service concerns people who need to go to Samui to URT or back.

Then suddenly some idiot thinks it's only about people who cannot (are unwilling to) pay the exorbitant prices that Bangkok Airways charges.

16 hours ago, Mole said:

Then suddenly some idiot thinks it's only about people who cannot (are unwilling to) pay the exorbitant prices that Bangkok Airways charges.

Done trip to CNX via URT, first time 6.000 baht return for four people.

Same date Bangkok airways asked for 68.000 baht. :facepalm:

• 3 weeks later...

Tried to book yesterday, they weren't responding to my messages and weren't calling back. Got a Thai to call and they said to her they are not operating at the moment. 

So I had to take the seatran/phantip service instead. Departed at 4pm from Nathon pier, arrived to the Surat airport at 7.30pm.

Basically it's a full 2hrs longer than the P & T marine service. 

Edited by madhav