Catching traffic offenders in Chiang Mai

Ricky Doofus

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoy wasting your time taking a pic of my bike with no rego plates op

And no, im not going to go againat the grain and come to a sudden stop the moment a light turns and getting rear ended and ending up dead.

Obviously he's having a bit of fun, so let's play along. His Crusading Superhero will need a moniker, and we could provide it. Suggestions?

I am very serious about this. The wife and I have almost had two very significant accidents in the last two weeks alone from people going through red lights. I am also taking this up with the US consulate in Chiang Mai this week, as I fell the safety of US citizens is in harms way if nothing has done. I have also written the Bangkok Post on this issue.

You maybe right, but not necessarily right in this country. Buy the biggest vehicle you can afford and drive extremely defensively. Then you may up your odds to 50-50 of avoiding an accident. Edited by jerojero

OP as i already said mind your own business.

Seeing your comments it appears that you think you are better than Thais.

You are not, what the hell has the US embassy got to do with how Thais drive?

Nothing thats what, absolutely nothing.

Time to get stronger medication, before you mess up your health.

Wanting to interfere, butt out.

Thank you, but we will have to agree to disagree. I certainly do not thing I am better than Thai's, the wife is Thai.

I am concerned with the dangerous driving in Thailand. Do you know that Thailand has the second highest road toll in the world.

I will photo document all instances I see and report to the Royal Thai Police.

Also as an American we should be protected by our Government. I am raising the problems with road violations with the Consulate/embassy currently.

Don't be a genuine doofus! Foreign governments have no authority or jurisdiction in Thailand or any other sovereign country. See what your embassy tells you, and they cannot protect anyone outside their embassy grounds . Edited by jerojero

Obviously he's having a bit of fun, so let's play along. This Crusading Superhero will need a moniker, and we could provide it. Suggestions?

James Bondo. I was going to KSK the other day and crossed at the zebra crossing and all the cars nicely stopped for me. Of course there was a real gun toting cop standing there watching. Gave me a sense of empowerment. Seriously forget about being a Superhero it does not work here the cops will laugh you out of the office. Map out your quiet space and stick to it.

OP as i already said mind your own business.

Seeing your comments it appears that you think you are better than Thais.

You are not, what the hell has the US embassy got to do with how Thais drive?

Nothing thats what, absolutely nothing.

Time to get stronger medication, before you mess up your health.

Wanting to interfere, butt out.

Thank you, but we will have to agree to disagree. I certainly do not thing I am better than Thai's, the wife is Thai.

I am concerned with the dangerous driving in Thailand. Do you know that Thailand has the second highest road toll in the world.

I will photo document all instances I see and report to the Royal Thai Police.

Also as an American we should be protected by our Government. I am raising the problems with road violations with the Consulate/embassy currently.

So are you suggesting that the American government should send police over to ensure the safety of all citizens, are you for real?

I suggest you keep your eyes open whilst out on the streets and learn that the whole world is not a safe place

I take it you are not American.

We have the right to be protected in other countries.

No you don't! you have the right to take care of yourself.

Here's a surprise for you, America doesn't own Thailand, surely your wife has told you that. with your attitude your days are numbered in Thailand.

Ricky, Ricky, Ricky I have to ask.... are you just Dangling a Bait in front of we OLDE Farts, who have long since given up on "trying to convert the heathen road users" to the true and righteous ways of being Good and Blameless on the Highways and Byways of our Parish?

At first, I thought you may have been serious, but somehow with your responses to other Brethren of the Thai Visa.com Congregation, I have

developed a sneaking suspicion that YOU are merely Tossing us a Tantalizing Tidbit in order to get us sounding off, on a subject that would evoke howls of derisive laughter from the BIB, if we fronted up with the Photographic Evidence of which you speak. Assuming of course, we LIVE Long Enough, after taking such Pictures of Predominately NON FERANG FELONS, with little or no sense of humor, who are quite happy to smack you over the head with a Tyre Iron or simply SHOOT You on the spot, for having had the temerity to Snap Candid Shots of them committing acts that may cause them severe LOSS OF FACE.

You are a guest here. So mind your own business.

What does being a guest here have to do with it. We all use the roads don't we?

Yes there is a problem with traffic violations.

Have you seriously considered what reaction you would get by taking your photos / evidence to the police?

Do you have family here?

Didn't you still have racially segregated schools in the USA in the late sixties/early seventies? What were all the wonderful Christians doing then - organising bake sales?

..always about colour..now its red and greens' turn.

I have solved the problem, after living in Chiang Mai for 10 years I have moved to a small town with no trafic lights. so nothing to jump. I mostly avoid going out just befor or just after school to avoid the 4 or 5 seater moyrtcycles driven by 10 year olds , and so I am reasonably safe, except for my yearly visa run to chiang mai , but I am thinking of getting a budda encased in plastic to protect me on these yearly runs.

derek

I have spoken to the US Consulate this morning and they said it is not a matter that would offer assistance to, except if a US citizen was seriously inured of killed and required consular assistance. They said traffic enforcement is the responsibility of the Thai Police. I am going to the police station today near Waorawat market and attempting to make an appointment to see the chief.

For those that have offered support thank you. Together we can make Chiang Mai a safer place for all us American expats.

I have spoken to the US Consulate this morning and they said it is not a matter that would offer assistance to, except if a US citizen was seriously inured of killed and required consular assistance. They said traffic enforcement is the responsibility of the Thai Police. I am going to the police station today near Waorawat market and attempting to make an appointment to see the chief.

For those that have offered support thank you. Together we can make Chiang Mai a safer place for all us American expats.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

And topless tourists, feeding their kids in the park, don't forget them.

Thanks, but that has already been reported to the Royal Thai Police. That kind of behaviour is totally immoral and offensive to Christian norms. Whilst I am certainly no expert of Buddhism, I am sure it would be offensive to them too. I will be updating the forum on the progress of my complaint with the Royal Thai Police.

Bloody good job you weren't here pre WW2 you would have been back and forth to the police station quicker than a greyhound in a relay race.

nutter hope he deports you Certinally wont be missed.

That certainly won't happen. Our Church group has previously had many positive interactions with the Royal Thai Police both in Chiang Mai and Bangkok. We are going to suggest that we partner with them in a proactive sense to provide evidence of traffic violations, mainly red light jumpers/runners at busy intersections.

Sorry, didn't know you had god on your side.

Have you ever, ever, seen a BIB chase after a traffic violator? They just set up blocks and wait for you to come to them.

But maybe you can change all that. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Sorry, didn't know you had god on your side.

Have you ever, ever, seen a BIB chase after a traffic violator? They just set up blocks and wait for you to come to them.

But maybe you can change all that. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Thanks so much for your support

Our Church group has previously had many positive interactions with the Royal Thai Police both in Chiang Mai and Bangkok. We are going to suggest that we partner with them in a proactive sense to provide evidence of traffic violations, mainly red light jumpers/runners at busy intersections.

I posted this in the Vegan behaviour topic, but got no response!! ...

"My guess is that he won't reveal the name of his church as that would be taking a joke too far."

As someone already said, he caught a few. No harm done, though. He livened the place up and generated a few hits for the site.

I'm not going to name my Church, simply because I don't want our members harassed as is common place here amongst the non believers.

As for those mocking my name, my name is Rick Dreyfus. My nickname since a child has been The Doof, and Doofus.

I'm not going to name my Church, simply because I don't want our members harassed as is common place here amongst the non believers.

As for those mocking my name, my name is Rick Dreyfus. My nickname since a child has been The Doof, and Doofus.

Wow! "American Graffiti" was one of my favorite movies!

I don't think that it's a very Christian attitude to want only to make Chiang Mai a safer place for Americans, whilst I'm sure God has an eye on US citizens (which Is what I assume you are and were referring to) there are lots of other nationalities inhabiting the Americas - and Europe, Africa as well as Greater Asia for that matter. Don't they deserve a safer environment too?