Thai Govt urges people to refrain from drinking alcohol during Buddhist Lent

webfact

I thought the No Alcohol Day was last Friday. Would appear that the government, like most of the Thai population did not know this!

What a shame - i would have observed it had I known! biggrin.png

It was 15 June. Or did they forget about it and reschedule it?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how much money the governments make off the taxes for alcohol sales. How happy would they be if no drank anymore ?

All of those blue an orange labels on bottles and tins are tax money for imported beers, wines, ciders and liquor. Not sure how they tax the local brewed Chang, Mekong etc. Likely at the brewery or distillery. I think the places they are watching are not quite being watch so much as tested for quality purposes.

Edited by jmccarty

Might have been helpful to mention when the Buddhist lent starts and finishes.

The OP is as stated aimed at Thais, and they already know these dates.

Why a post directed to Thai nationals ends up on an American owned website beats me....unless it is to cause more boring ranting amoungst boring farangs.

Our first job is to close all the little places making the moonshine or Lao Khao who may not be paying the duties on same into our coffers.

The big boys are towing the line (we get very nice New Year presents as well) so they can continue to make this cheap poison for the poor

who cannot afford to buy the good stuff

Princess Soamsawali opens National No Alcohol Day 2016

BANGKOK, 16 July 2016 (NNT) - Her Royal Highness Princess Soamsawali yesterday launched the National No Alcohol Day 2016 event at the Central Plaza Westgate Shopping Centre in Nonthaburi Province.

The Prime Minister also invited the Thai people to abstain from drinking alcohol for the full three months of the Buddhist Lent as a tribute to His Majesty the King on the occasion of the 70th anniversary of his accession to the Throne.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/website_en/news/news_detail/WNROY5907160010002 Edited by Wilsonandson

Everything is possible if the Government gets serious about educating its populace. This needs to start in the schools explaining the health hazards of over consumption coupled with directed advertising on TV and newspapers and then followed up by a real crackdown on driving while drinking and restricting the hours alcohol can be sold. It will take a generation to filter through the population but it is possible. The sex industry is already under attack by raids and closings. that too will take about 10 years to control but it will be done. Thailand is really changing. Those in charge are determined to change the image of Thailand from a country oriented around sex and alcohol to one in which adheres to a more conservative lifestyle.

Best place regarding drinking of alcohol I ever lived (first half of the fifties) was Nieuw Zeeland or as the Poms (honorary title for people from GREAT Britain) changed it to New Zealand.

Quarter to six in the afternoon the bell rang in all the bars in New Zealand, it was the signal for the LAST BEER. Six o'clock any bottle (yes bottle, beer was sold in approx. quarts size bottles) not finished was swiped off the Bar and went upside-down in the sink under the Bar and down the drain system the remainder went.

Six o'clock the lights went out and everybody inside the Bar streamed onto the sidewalk (not too many of them pissed).

Bars were closed on Sunday.

Biggest surprise I got one day walking by the Hotel (Bars were part of Hotels) that had Draft Beer I see a tanker trailer truck having a hose connected to the side of the building. I asked the Barman if the truck was bringing fuel oil for the furnish to heat the hotel, he could not stop laughing, but when finally he did he said, "That is the trailer tanker truck delivering beer from the Brewery in Auckland".

For the Piss heads who had to have their booze on Sunday, they could sign in for a room in the hotel and then they could sit in the lounge and have their PISS.

Of course that was under Mr. Holland's Labor Gov. The Gov. that looked out for the benefit of the working-class.

When NZ became fascist capitalist Breweries were first inline to have the Law changed and ever since NZ has become the land of Piss Heads with bars open 24/7/365 and 366 on Leap year. Sort of like THAILAND.

LOL in LOS.

Just for Buddhist Lent people! Come on, just for one day please. After that you can drink yourself to death again or take out a mini van on your way there

Buddhist Lent is not one day it is for 3 months (Khao Phansa)

I wonder how many of the Puu Yai ministers of morality can be found with a bottle of Johnney Walker Black in hand, three sheets to the wind in a karaoke bar after a hard day at the office making pronouncements to the unwashed masses? whistling.gif

Edited by connda

I think the government misunderstands its role. It is to govern for the good, safety and prosperity of the people. It is not to control what they do with their private life, such as drinking, choosing where and with whom they have sex etc.

Someone should tell the unelected fascists running the EU that. ermm.gif

There is no such thing as "Buddhist Lent".

Yes there is. It starts on 19th July.

Buddhist Lent Day in Thailand is the day after Asalha Bucha marking the beginning of the three month period where monks stay in their temples with no travelling.

http://www.calendardate.com/th_buddhist_lent_day.htm

I stopped drinking 16 days ago with no ill effects, and I may stay non drinking until the end of the Thai Lent. No I am not Buddhist or religious in any way, just bored of drinking alcohol.

I wonder how many of the Puu Yai ministers of morality can be found with a bottle of Johnney Walker Black in hand, three sheets to the wind in a karaoke bar after a hard day at the office making pronouncements to the unwashed masses? whistling.gif

That sir is a foul slur on our betters.

When people have reached that level in society they always but always drink from a glass.

Shame on you.

Its all in hitting them in the place it hurts most. The pockebook....Just like the parents that just each had to pay 30k for there 17 year old son that was arrested for carrying a gun.

Remembering last year this was tough for tourists here in later July or was it August ...so I do not think it has come yet. For tourists the bars, restaurants, etc.. No drink , no beers, no wine...If Farang come to Thailand for say a couple of weeks or so this is the last thing they need in a holiday country, especially compared to Spain, France or Greece where drinks are easy to get. Moreover big supermarkets 7/11, every day in Thailand restrict sales. Why in the UK we are treated like adults and can get alcohol almost any time day or night.

I thought Buddha was all about moderation? Or the old saying, everything in moderation, including moderation!

I don't drink much anymore, but I always fear a government that gets into 'moral' issues like this. What's good for our dear juntista may not be what's good for someone else.

Just for Buddhist Lent people! Come on, just for one day please. After that you can drink yourself to death again or take out a mini van on your way there

Why? The locals don't show much sign of observing it.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

Like the ill informed, ill advised so-call Tourist Minister, legislating morals. Let's see now, how did that work out in the US during prohibition, ah how's that war on drugs going? Damn and I thought I left all the evangelical baptists back in SE Texass.

If someone it buying a shot of 'something' from the local shop I don't think they will be stopped by using reason. Perhaps a milder approach of setting minimum quality standards on the products, so that they're not all dead by the time they're 30. A dead taxes payer (even if only VAT) is no use to government.

They check drinking water suppliers periodically, so why not commercial distillers? If for private use then it's not a government matter.

they should call it THAI lent, as there is no buddism in thaiand, only a perverted greedy version called thainess

Why do you say this, perfectly fine to buy merit for cash, how else will the they fund their mercs and I phones.

Caps, on 18 Jul 2016 - 06:32, said:

That aint going to happen cheesy.gif

I guess it's just the right thing to say. Sounds good but does anyone really care what others recommend.

Does anyone really care what anyone in the government says as they only on odd occasions spout this Tor lair ( BS ) to justify their salaries .