Court refuses to charge Ying Gai with human trafficking

webfact

Court refuses to charge Ying Gai with human trafficking
By Coconuts Bangkok

80a68c0a21d8d541607f0d087f1caa01_0.jpg
Photo: JS100

BANGKOK: -- The Criminal Court yesterday rejected a police request to charge Ying Gai with an additional human trafficking charge due to lack of evidence.

However, acting chief of Metropolitan Police Bureau Pol. Lt. Sanit Mahathavorn said he has appointed an investigative team to probe the human-trafficking case against Monta "Ying Gai" Yokrattanakan after the prior investigation found that she had allegedly employed a 17-year-old girl from Mae Hong Sorn province a job but refused to pay her.

The girl also said Ying Gai threatened to prosecute her parents when she quit her job. Police believed the girl could have been trafficked if she had stayed with Ying Gai, Bangkok Post reported.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/07/18/court-refuses-charge-ying-gai-human-trafficking

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-07-18

"The Criminal Court yesterday rejected a police request to charge Ying Gai with an additional human trafficking charge due to lack of evidence."

Won't be any charges until the ledger is found and destroyed.

well they have to keep all the hi-so's names out of this somehow, makes you wonder just who was backing her, obviously people high enough up in the law enforcement/courts for all the ones she had locked up with bugger all evidence. Will be interesting to see just what names do get bandied about if she doesnt have an unfortunate accident before hand

The end game seems to be set in place already. The only charges will be under section 112, heard in a military court with no outside observers. Depending on how much her "protectors" have to hide, she will either be found unfit to plead because of insanity or shut away form the world where nobody can get to her. Unless of course she has an unfortunate accident or decides to jump off a building, as some others who had dirt on those higher up the ladder seem to have done.

wasn't there something earlier about finding multiple Official Passports??

...maybe she had had a lot more initially - and used them up: tampering with them for using with the girls (her little princesses), to hide their tracks overseas

But then, I don't think she'd be THAT smart crazy.gif

Edited by tifino

Is it not for the police to charge and the courts to examine the evidence and convict???

I would say their seems to be a lot of good reason to suspect her of this but probably more investigations are needed to collect evidence, she should be charged to stop her fleeing...

She'll walk soon. She's had a good taste of what will happen if she says too much and if she had half a brain she will get a haircut, some new sunglasses and scarf then slip into obscurity.

The end game seems to be set in place already. The only charges will be under section 112, heard in a military court with no outside observers. Depending on how much her "protectors" have to hide, she will either be found unfit to plead because of insanity or shut away form the world where nobody can get to her. Unless of course she has an unfortunate accident or decides to jump off a building, as some others who had dirt on those higher up the ladder seem to have done.

You forgot the end game. She keeps her mouth shut and are pardoned after 3 years or talk and commit suicide by stabbing herself with a tea spoon.

Yeah! Just like the Redbull Heir.

She will still pay a heavy price for her nefarious actions.

she can join up with him, and traffic Caffeine into the prison - what, with her 'business acume', and his Contacts...

Unfortunately they will probably stick with the LM charge (that appeared almost too quickly) and find insufficient cause to prosecute (or bury) everything else.

Next, the whole thing will get dragged out long enough for everyone to forget about it. A few months should be enough.

Then the secret tribunal (showing great compassion for her unfortunate mental illness) will quietly find her guilty and grant parole with the condition that she give up claiming a royal title.

And...at the end of the day...she'll walk.

Edited by Hayduke

Is it not for the police to charge and the courts to examine the evidence and convict???

I would say their seems to be a lot of good reason to suspect her of this but probably more investigations are needed to collect evidence, she should be charged to stop her fleeing...

I agree it is the Office of the Attorney General who decides whether to prosecute based on evidence and information collected by a RTP investigation.

The court judges guilt or innocence. In the case of Gai with regard to human trafficking I don't believe there was sufficent evidence currently to prosecute for human trafficking, albeit many other charges should be brought that can now be justified before the court. The court should have no authority to decide prosecution. It might warn the prosecution that it lacks evidence to convict in camera but denying charges is totally inappropriate. This inconsistent and arbritary use of the court damages the credibility of Thailand's judicial system.

I agree it is the Office of the Attorney General who decides whether to prosecute based on evidence and information collected by a RTP investigation.

The court judges guilt or innocence. In the case of Gai with regard to human trafficking I don't believe there was sufficent evidence currently to prosecute for human trafficking, albeit many other charges should be brought that can now be justified before the court. The court should have no authority to decide prosecution. It might warn the prosecution that it lacks evidence to convict in camera but denying charges is totally inappropriate. This inconsistent and arbritary use of the court damages the credibility of Thailand's judicial system.

What Thailand never had cannot be 'damaged'. Tinpot little country.

Thailand has a somewhat different legal system to that of many other countries, particularly western oriented countries. One was always under the impression that the police and/or a public prosecutor laid the charges and the courts ruled on them. Thai courts apparently lay charges but who then rules impartially on those same charges?

actually it is up to the cops do decide what case will be prosecuted. in many cases a fee is paid to the police to not send the case to the prosecutors or sent with a reduction in the crime. i have been through this process with work permit problems. odd that the courts would refuse a case. i suspect as thailand is now tier 2 with human trafficking the cops have been asked politely to drop that part to get it out of the spot light.

Edited by williamgeorgeallen

Trouble is with only going with the L.M. and not following through with the 'trafficking;

IS that the girls and families with prison terms threatening them, will have no case to serve as a precedent

Edited by tifino

Thailand has a somewhat different legal system to that of many other countries, particularly western oriented countries. One was always under the impression that the police and/or a public prosecutor laid the charges and the courts ruled on them. Thai courts apparently lay charges but who then rules impartially on those same charges?

My thoughts exactly. It appears everything starts and ends with the court. The court decides who can be arrested, who can be charged and they finalise the case. In a proper judicial system the police investigate, arrest and charge, prosecutors prosecute and the final link the courts determine guilt or innocence. Edited by Thechook