Laos Visa run for SETV

Though iam sure this question will probably have been asked before but i cannot find a relevant post so basically iam based in chonburi and hate using the visa services mainly due to the way the minibus drivers drive. So iam looking to ride up to nong khai on my motorbike, stay overnight at a hotel and leave the motorbike there whilst crossing the border over friendship bridge as a foot passenger. iam just wondering how complicated this is to do? Obviously i will also have to apply for the SETV at the embassy as well and stay overnight in Vientianne.

Its not complicated! Are you asking if you can walk over the bridge? Or are you asking if you can leave your bike at a hotel? You get on a bus that takes you across the bridge and im sure a hotel will let you park your bike there. Maybe for a small fee.

after exiting Thai immigration you catch a bus over the bridge to Laos immigration where you apply for your visa.

Whilst waiting for Laos visa to be processed it is a good idea to TALK to others around you....many are doing the same as you and heading to the consulate for a Thai visa. You can group up and share a taxi , minivan or tuk tuk from bridge to consulate. Also share info about hotels for the overnight stay.

Remember to take photo, US $ and A PEN ( amazing how many people at border have no pen to fill in the visa application form.

I've left my car in a hotel carpark, in Nong Khai, whilst doing a visa run to Vientiane without any problem or charge.

We usually stay at the Pantawee Hotel . 1049 Soi Haisoke . Nongkhai www.pantawee.com 042 460850

They have a guarded car park, where you can leave your vehicle during your visa run.

The long serving reception staff, are pretty clued up on all things related to visas.

after exiting Thai immigration you catch a bus over the bridge to Laos immigration where you apply for your visa.

Whilst waiting for Laos visa to be processed it is a good idea to TALK to others around you....many are doing the same as you and heading to the consulate for a Thai visa. You can group up and share a taxi , minivan or tuk tuk from bridge to consulate. Also share info about hotels for the overnight stay.

Remember to take photo, US $ and A PEN ( amazing how many people at border have no pen to fill in the visa application form.

useful advice thanks. how much USD i need?

The cost of your Lao visa depends on your nationality. Common is US$35. It can be cheaper or up to a maximum of US$42.

The cost of your Lao visa depends on your nationality. Common is US$35. It can be cheaper or up to a maximum of US$42.

Iam British so probably 100USD ha ha

$35, Sat & Sun $36..

I totally agree. I used visa run vans twice (Bkk to Vientiane). Both of my drivers tailgated at high speeds, recklessly passed other vehicles, and they seem to have a death wish. I also noted that the highways lack sufficient krails/barriers to keep vehicles from flying if the roadways. A simple tire blowout can put a visa run van into a tree or worse. Eithway it would probably be over or you would wish it was. An incident of road rage was also experienced. One driver for an 8 hour race to the border with a dozen paying passengers. Thanks for not killing me. I will never give them another chance.

I am so sorry to say, but your very sensible father would never allow you to ride your bike on such a long trip in the second most dangerous country for highway accidents (or deliberate attacks). Also, It would take you two days each way without driving at night.

I strongly suggest flying Thai Air Asia instead. You should be able to save on the airfare by flying Don Maung to Udon Thani. I did this last month for my first time. About 2,000 roundtrip including 20 kg of check-in luggage! It's less if you only have 7 kg carry-on!!

Upon arrival at the Udon Thani Arrival's Terminal, approach the Taxi-Limo Service Counter. They will get you to the border for 200 baht! You quickly cross the border on your own. Then, as soon as you enter Laos, ignore the guys offering rides into Vientiane. Look for the green government bus. Its like 60 baht to the center of town (Vientiane).

Get back to the airport approximately the same way. I am 63 can handled this method of travel quite easily and will repeat soon.

That's my suggestive advice. If you can afford the visa run van service, flying is only ever so slightly more and extremely worth it. I'll bet that if you survive a bike trip, you would not repeat doing the ride a second time around. The best of luck to you mate!

I totally agree. I used visa run vans twice (Bkk to Vientiane). Both of my drivers tailgated at high speeds, recklessly passed other vehicles, and they seem to have a death wish. I also noted that the highways lack sufficient krails/barriers to keep vehicles from flying if the roadways. A simple tire blowout can put a visa run van into a tree or worse. Eithway it would probably be over or you would wish it was. An incident of road rage was also experienced. One driver for an 8 hour race to the border with a dozen paying passengers. Thanks for not killing me. I will never give them another chance.

I am so sorry to say, but your very sensible father would never allow you to ride your bike on such a long trip in the second most dangerous country for highway accidents (or deliberate attacks). Also, It would take you two days each way without driving at night.

I strongly suggest flying Thai Air Asia instead. You should be able to save on the airfare by flying Don Maung to Udon Thani. I did this last month for my first time. About 2,000 roundtrip including 20 kg of check-in luggage! It's less if you only have 7 kg carry-on!!

Upon arrival at the Udon Thani Arrival's Terminal, approach the Taxi-Limo Service Counter. They will get you to the border for 200 baht! You quickly cross the border on your own. Then, as soon as you enter Laos, ignore the guys offering rides into Vientiane. Look for the green government bus. Its like 60 baht to the center of town (Vientiane).

Get back to the airport approximately the same way. I am 63 can handled this method of travel quite easily and will repeat soon.

That's my suggestive advice. If you can afford the visa run van service, flying is only ever so slightly more and extremely worth it. I'll bet that if you survive a bike trip, you would not repeat doing the ride a second time around. The best of luck to you mate!

Thank you for the advice but i have recently completed one of many long trips on a motorbike in Thailand the last one being 8500km around the entire border. Iam no stranger to the hazards of riding motorcycles in thailand and also an accomplished long distance rider with the motorbike to suit. The distance is approx 750km so an 8hr ride easily achievable in one day each way during daylight.

$35, Sat & Sun $36..

You don't need USD you can pay in Baht too, 1,500 THB.