Army suspends colonel filmed threatening to abduct woman

webfact

Army suspends colonel filmed threatening to abduct woman
By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

e1467250078514.jpg
Soldiers man a checkpoint on June 30 in Yala province. Photo: Matichon

YALA — The Royal Thai Army announced Monday it is investigating a colonel filmed threatening to abduct a woman in the southern border province where many locals live in fear of forced disappearance at the hands of the military.

For verbally abusing a woman whose sister he failed to court, Col. Khajorndej Samitayothin is now assigned to an inactive post outside Yala, one of the three border provinces that saw a decade of fighting between the army and local Muslim separatists.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2016/07/18/army-suspends-colonel-filmed-threatening-abduct-woman/

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-07-18

Fourth Army removes a colonel for allegedly threatening a dress shop employee in Yala

115_yala-wpcf_728x409.jpg

YALA: -- The Fourth Army Region has ordered the immediate transfer of an army colonel for threatening to kidnap a female employee of a dress shop in Yala province.

The transfer of the colonel in 24 hours came after a video clip was posted on the Internet showing a man in Army uniform was threatening an employee of a dress shop.

At a press conference today, spokesman of the Forward Command of the Fourth Army Region, Col Pramote Prom-in confirmed the man in the clip is an army colonel and is the chief drafting officer in Yala province.

The spokesman apologised the inappropriate behaviour of the officer and said he has been ordered transferred out of Yala province within 24 hours by the region commander Lt Gen Wiwat Pathompark, pending investigation by a committee.

The poster of the clip said the incident happened on the night of July 14. He came into the dress shop and persuaded her to join the army service but was rejected.

He was angry and then threatened to abduct her, she said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/172939-2/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-18

Get a Police or an Army job here and you really have to try very very hard to get kicked out or worse jailed. Seriously, the things we hear of where transferral to an inactive post seems to be the height of punishment. lala land.

Unbelievable, army thug trying to abduct a woman , just because his macho pride was hurt.

Sod the inactive post, dismissal that is the only option.

No charge him with attempted kidnapping and then lock him up fr a long time

Why are there so many high rankings in Thai army. So many generals, colonels from an army which never fought a war.

Years back there was something in The Post, a letter if I remember, comparing the Thai and British armies.

The population is roughly the same and the size of the army with the main difference being the Thai army has conscription and the British Army doesn't it.

It was said then that Britain had approx 120 officers of general rank and Thailand in excess of 2,100 !

Just transfer? Same for the police captain who took a bribe for another officer's promotion. It sure is easy to get away with things here. In most other countries these people should be sacked immediately to set an example.

Baffling.

Unbelievable, army thug trying to abduct a woman , just because his macho pride was hurt.

He is still alive because the lady was not of my or my friends family.

Why are there so many high rankings in Thai army. So many generals, colonels from an army which never fought a war.

Years back there was something in The Post, a letter if I remember, comparing the Thai and British armies.

The population is roughly the same and the size of the army with the main difference being the Thai army has conscription and the British Army doesn't it.

It was said then that Britain had approx 120 officers of general rank and Thailand in excess of 2,100 !

Yes but have you ever tried to get a Thai to do something ? You can't just tell them to do it ,you have to explain to them same you would your 5 year old son ,so they need more officers to do the explaining ,that applies to all to the very top

I shake my head. In so many cases here, even when there is definitive proof not a case of he

said she said or allegation of bribery/corruption, but actually caught on film/cctv we get

transfers to inactive posts and slap on the wrist punishments. Will things ever change. blink.png

"where many locals live in fear of forced disappearance at the hands of the military."

This is the key - SOP against possible Muslim insurgents but strenuously denied by the military. The fact that this "senior officer" (who isn't in the Thai army?) saw fit to use this tactic when he was unable to get the girl he wanted rather shows up the shady military tactics prevalent in the Southern civil war.

"Khajorndej’s threats added to the long list of accusations of heavy-handed tactics and atrocities committed by security forces in the Muslim-majority region of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat, an area known as the Deep South." (from the Khaosoden article)

Yet the general who abducted the country and is currently holding its people to ransom is still at large and running amok with any and every law.

What a ridiculous post.

I guess you prefer the previous Taksin by proxy dictatorship that not only allowed people to get away with blowing up children with RPG's but also celebrated the fact at their rallies. Not to mention all of the other greedy and evil things they have done.

Thailand is the safest and most stable it has been in the 14 years that I have lived here.

Long may it continue.

But how many generals in each army are on the active list and how many are retired.

Also compare the manpower size of each army.

He is still alive because the lady was not of my or my friends family.

Big words from a keyboard warrior.

But how many generals in each army are on the active list and how many are retired.

Also compare the manpower size of each army.

Are retired generals counted on establishment figures ?

With all these generals,over 2,000 of them,i actually wonder.If in the event of a war(in which Thailand has never fought) how many of these generals would have the balls and the knowledge to be able to lead their men from the front.? just how many of these generals actually have the Military nous and experience to do so?